Hopefull Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I applied last cycle in October with a 28 MCAT (10/7/11), which was a terrible idea.

I retook the MCAT for a 33 (10,11,12) and have a 3.74 GPA. Fresh/Soph = 3.5, Jun/Sen = 4.0, 5th year = 3.6

I applied mid-June and got approved August 3rd (3 week approval) and have 16 secondaries filled out and 25 more to go.

I graduated phi beta kappa and took a graduate course and also taught me own class at my university on strokes. Very strong ECs, but my writing is weak which I think will hurt me a lot.

What do you guys think are my chances? My dream is anywhere in Manhattan or DC.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

assuming your ECs are truly very strong, I think your chances are great. Manhattan and DC schools are competitive because they receive so many applications but you applied broadly so you should be good.

I thin chances excellent now! Apply early!

Hi! I applied last cycle in October with a 28 MCAT (10/7/11), which was a terrible idea.

I retook the MCAT for a 33 (10,11,12) and have a 3.74 GPA. Fresh/Soph = 3.5, Jun/Sen = 4.0, 5th year = 3.6

I applied mid-June and got approved August 3rd (3 week approval) and have 16 secondaries filled out and 25 more to go.

I graduated phi beta kappa and took a graduate course and also taught me own class at my university on strokes. Very strong ECs, but my writing is weak which I think will hurt me a lot.

What do you guys think are my chances? My dream is anywhere in Manhattan or DC.

Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thin chances excellent now! Apply early!
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I meant to say I sent in my app mid-July, not June. Still knocking out these secondaries!

I suggest applying more broadly than NYC and DC, because 10,000+ of your peers also are applying to every school in all of the big coastal cities. Did you apply to all of your state schools and some other schools in less popular cities? Your stats are definitely strong enough that you should be able to get into med school this year. It just may not be in one of those two cities.