Hopefully my chances just improved...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbienven

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I retook the MCAT...

My first score was a 28 R: 8 BS / 9 PS / 11 VR

And at the time my GPA was a 3.077.

Well, I managed to do better the second go round...and pick my GPA up in the past year.

I just got the April test back and I got a 34 P (screw the WS) 10 BS / 13 PS / 11 VR.

My GPA is now a 3.289 (which I know is still alittle rough)...

I want to go to LSU-NO. Should I apply early decision now?

How do you guy/girls think my chances are now?

Members don't see this ad.

KK82 said:
Hi, congrats on improving your mcat.

I got a 26, but thought people said you can never increase your score. I studied like crazy and got a 26. How did you improve your score????????????????

I studied harder the second time? and I really focused on diagnostic tests. I reviewed why i missed what I missed (over and over again)

Jbienven said:

FIrst off, you better be from LA. Second, I would call someone, or better yet, set up an appointment with someone in a position of importance at LSU-NO and ask them if they think it is wise for you to apply early decision. I went ED at Tulane only b/c I met with the Dean and he assured me that it was a smart thing to do if Tulane is where I wanted to go.

Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
maroonedNnola said:
FIrst off, you better be from LA. Second, I would call someone, or better yet, set up an appointment with someone in a position of importance at LSU-NO and ask them if they think it is wise for you to apply early decision. I went ED at Tulane only b/c I met with the Dean and he assured me that it was a smart thing to do if Tulane is where I wanted to go.

Good luck to you.

I'm from Louisiana.

I spoke with the dean of admissions prior to getting this MCAT back. And he said either way probably wouldn't hurt, but told me just to apply regular decision. I may set up another appointment with him.

I'm currently at Tulane. I just think LSU-NO offers me a better chance (CAUSE IT COST SO FREAKIN' LITTLE COMPARED TO TULANE)

Congrats on your score. It sounds like you have a significant upward trend on your gpa...that's good. Don't forget about the other aspects of your application: LORs, volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. Good luck!

Jbienven said:
I'm from Louisiana.

I spoke with the dean of admissions prior to getting this MCAT back. And he said either way probably wouldn't hurt, but told me just to apply regular decision. I may set up another appointment with him.

I'm currently at Tulane. I just think LSU-NO offers me a better chance (CAUSE IT COST SO FREAKIN' LITTLE COMPARED TO TULANE)

I would say your odds are pretty good at New Orleans. I wouldn't want to mess my odds up at Shreveport, though. I believe when you apply ED, other schools don't get your application until September or so. That puts you way behind. Double check the dates, but don't underestimate the importance of having your app considered before the class is full.

Definitely don't apply as an early decision applicant. Your GPA will hold you back, remember the students you are going up against are extremely qualified. Typically students with blemishes who don't know someone on the inside do not get accepted EDP. And applying EDP will hurt your chances overall and with that GPA you are still at a major disadvantage. Congrats on your MCAT man. You need to celebrate.

Jbienven said:
Well, I retook the MCAT...

My first score was a 28 R: 8 BS / 9 PS / 11 VR

And at the time my GPA was a 3.077.

Well, I managed to do better the second go round...and pick my GPA up in the past year.

I just got the April test back and I got a 34 P (screw the WS) 10 BS / 13 PS / 11 VR.

My GPA is now a 3.289 (which I know is still alittle rough)...

That's a really big MCAT jump -- it will make adcoms think the first one was totally an abberation -- nice job. I don't think ED makes sense. Apply to a big handful of schools (including your first choice) as quickly as you can crank out those apps.