Hoping to get some feedback on program reputations from PTs in the field!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiffTheFlashRogers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I applied to a number of PT programs this cycle and have been fortunate enough to be accepted to two programs already:
University of New England and Utica College. Additionally, I have upcoming interviews at Upstate Medical University and Stony Brook University next month. My top four schools going into the process were Upstate Med, Stony Brook, UNE, and Sage. Still waiting to hear back from Sage. At this point, I will decline any other interview offers I may receive from here on in.

I was hoping to hear from some of you guys, practicing PTs, with regard to your opinions on any of these 5 schools. If you or anyone you have worked with went to these programs and how you/they liked it, preparedness coming out of the programs....stuff like that.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, the info you get will be practically useless: every DPT program will graduate some excellent PTs and some dud PTs. If I happen to work with a dud PT, does it mean that all of his classmates are as bad as he is? Most certainly not.

Go to the least expensive school that accepts you. As for becoming a good/bad PT, you'll get out of the program what you put into it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is location a big part of the equation for you or are you happy to move to any one of the schools? If you aren't as worried about location I see no reason not to pick the cheapest one.

Is location a big part of the equation for you or are you happy to move to any one of the schools? If you aren't as worried about location I see no reason not to pick the cheapest one.

Contrary to what the Boston Bruins avatar may imply, I'm actually from Upstate NY. Upstate Medical, Stony Brook, Utica, and UNE are all 2.5-4 hours away so it isn't a huge difference with any of them. I would definitely prefer Syracuse or Portland to Long Island, though. Sage is within an hour of home but I don't think I'm getting in there and want to kind of make contacts out of the area. Too far to commute anyway. Stony Brook and UNE are close to a push in price when living expenses are taken into account. Utica is crazy expensive. Upstate is an absolute bargain. I'm thinking my order of preference is Upstate, UNE, Stony. I'll have to see where I stand after Thanksgiving. Could very well not get into Upstate or Stony and the choice gets made for me.

Like the bad news bears famously chanted: It just doesn't matter, it just doesn't matter, it just doesn't matter.

Your success is based upon you, not your program. echoing what other posters have said in this and countless other threads, go the the cheapest, most convenient accredited PT school you can get in to.

Reactions: 1 user
Your first priority should be finding the lowest Estimated Cost of Attendance. If you then have the choice between schools with relatively similar ECA's, then choose based on which program "fits" you best based on your experience with the interview or discussions with faculty and/or current students.