hopkins at bayview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrupulous79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know anything about the IM program at hopkins at bayview? is it having the same accredidation problems as the main hopkins hospital?is it a good program for medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interviewing here on Tuesday, but I will tell you what I have heard. Supposedly, even though it's technically a community affiliate of Hopkins, it's considered either a very strong community program or a mediocre university program. You see mainly bread and butter of medicine there. The facilities are supposedly pretty nice. The accreditation problems at the Hopkins main hospital had nothing to do with Bayview, and even if they did, those accreditation problems are now resolved. Fellowship placement is supposed be fairly decent considering that it's a community program, but some who have visited say that it has a stronger emphasis on primary care then university programs. I will post up more if I find out anything interesting on Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, just had my interview there today. Overall, I would describe them as a strong but small program. Their facilities are very nice, both buildings were built in the 90's. They consider themselves a university hospital, but they only have ~12 categorical/primary care internal medicine residents, and the fellows are all Hopkins main hospital fellows (there is no Bayview Hospital fellowship program). The PD and chairperson seem very friendly and nice, faculty on a whole seem approachable. Their placement for fellowship is really excellent, bunch of people matching into Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U, top fellowship programs. Supposedly, people get what they want. However, there does appear to be a slight disproprortionate fewer number of people going into cards and GI which is probably a non-statistical variant given their low n value, and a selection bias of people who choose to train at Bayview not gunning for GI or cards. There were a few people that were going into GI or cards, and those that were seemed to be going into strong programs, but it just seemed like a smaller proportion then I've seen at other schools. I don't know. Supposedly, pulmonary, allergy, and rheumatology all are based there as opposed to the Hopkins main campus, and all of your attendings are Hopkins faculty. My main reason for not ranking this program at the top of my list is that 1. even though they don't call themselves a community affiliate, my understanding is that people at other schools often do and 2. the program is too small for my taste. I'd prefer to go to a bigger program where you don' thave to see the same 10-12 people everyday. If you are looking for a small program, that's not at all malignant, where a number of your colleagues will be going into primary care, I would say that Bayview is an excellent program for you. Or if you just really want to live in Baltimore for some reason, I think that Bayview would still be a strong program since they match so well into fellowship programs, just as long as you didn't mind being in a very small program.

thanks for all the info ckent....its a big help...any idea of how hard they work the residents?