Hopkins MHA vs. UMich MHSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthmgmt08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in consulting/hospital management. Program structure/location aside, what's the better/more marketable option - Hopkins MHA or Michigan MHSA?

Members don't see this ad.

If you go by US News rankings - UMich is ranked number 1 for healthcare management. Apparently, my reading tells me that for consulting/hospital management - which is what i want to do too - a rigorous finance focus is necessary. I haven't done this yet - but compare the curriculums are JHU and UMIch... see what makes the most sense.

I've been accepted at UMich, interviewing with JHU this week... so lets see, I might also be needing to decide between the 2. If not, I'm happy about UMIch...

Question - do you have aid? or are you paying in full?

My spouse works for a major healthcare consultancy and said Hopkins is very well known in the Health care consultancies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are very marketable options...however, I was browsing for internships on the Deloitte website, and noticed that there is a summer associate position just for someone in the MHA program at Hopkins, and a senior consultant position requiring an MHA from Hopkins as well. I know Hopkins has contracts with several consulting firms for their summer internships, although some of them would not be renewed this year due to economic constraints. If I hadn't done my undergrad at Hopkins, I would definitely consider going back. However, UMich gets recruiters from similar companies as well, so I think you're fine regardless of which one you pick. I'm deciding between UMich and Cal myself.

Good luck with your decision! :luck:

Hey you alll... deciding between Hopkins and UMich... this is the info I got on Hopkins from Teresa Schwartz...

CURRICULUM FOR
MHS IN HEALTH FINANCE & MANAGEMENT
2008-2009​
First Term (August 28 – October 22)​
REQUIRED COURSES:​
140.611.01 Statistical Reasoning in Public Health I (3), McGready
312.617.01 Fundamentals of Financial Accounting (3), Tong
312.867.01 MHS Seminar in Health Finance and Management (1), Department Faculty​
313.642.01 Introduction to Microeconomics (3) Sorkin (for students missing microeconomics prerequisite)​
340.601.01 Principles of Epidemiology (5) Moss
551.601.01 Managing Health Services Organizations (4), Gundlach, Peters, Ward
551.602.01 Approaches to MHSO: Cases and Applications (2), Gundlach, Ward
TOTAL: 18 credits​
(21 with Microeconomics)

Second Term (October 23 – December 19)​
140.612.01 Statistical Reasoning in Public Health II (3), McGready
300.651.01 Introduction to the U.S. Health System (4), Herring​
300.700.81 Teaching Assistant Orientation Seminar (1), Sleicher (recommended, not required)​
312.867.01 MHS Seminar in Health Finance and Management (1), Department Faculty
313.641.01 Health Economics (4), Frick
551.603.01 Fundamentals of Budgeting and Financial Management (3), Ward
551.604.01 Quantitative Tools for Managers (3), Dickson
551.610.01 Foundations of Leadership (3), Gundlach
TOTAL: 21 credits​
(22 with Teaching Assistant Orientation)

Third Term (January 20 – March 13)​
180.629.01 Environmental and Occupational Health Law and Policy (4) Locke​
OR

180.660.01 Introductory Principles of Environmental Health (3), Kanarek
306.663.01 Legal and Ethical Issues in Health Services Management (3) Doherty
309.620.01 Managed Care and Health Insurance (3), Weiner
312.623.01 Financial Management in Healthcare I (3), Ellis
312.660.01 Marketing in Health Care Organizations (3), Miller​
312.841.01* SS/R: Improving Organizational Patient Safety and Quality (2) Berenholtz (recommended, not required)​
TOTAL: 16-17 credits​
(18-19 with Patient Safety)

Fourth Term (March 23 – May 15)​
312.615.01 Organizational Behavior and Management (3), Marsteller
312.621.01 Strategic Planning (3), Ashworth
312.624.01 Financial Management in Healthcare II (3), Ellis
312.633.81 Health Management Information Systems (3), Minear
312.635.01 Human Resources in Health Organizations (2), Paulk
312.685.01 Hospital Operations (3) Ross
312.842.01* SS/R: HFM Case Competition (1)
TOTAL: 19 credits​
* Proposed course as of July 2008​
2​
ND YEAR CURRICULUM FOR
MHS IN HEALTH FINANCE & MANAGEMENT

First Term
312.810.01 Field Placement Health Finance and Management (12), Department Faculty
300.600.81 Introduction to Health Policy (4), Anderson
TOTAL: 16 credits
Second Term
312.810.01 Field Placement Health Finance and Management (14), Department Faculty
313.790.81 Understanding Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Health Care (2), Frick
Third Term
312.810.01 Field Placement Health Finance and Management (16), Department Faculty
Fourth Term
312.810.01 Field Placement Health Finance and Management (13), Department Faculty
410.620.81 Program Planning for Health Behavior Change (3), Gielen​

As someone mentioned, all classes in the 2nd year, while on a field placement, are taken online. A current student I spoke to said that one of her classes in the 4th semester is also online. I'm a bit unsure about the online classes - is this the best way to learn? The tuition at Johns Hopkins is steap for the 1st year. Despite of the 25% tuition scholarship for the 2nd year, it is hardly fair to pay like $ 12,000 or whatever the tuition works out to be for the 2nd year for online classes.

I am deciding between Johns Hopkins (MHA) and UMich (MHSA). I go back and forth. I was dissapointed to learn about the online classes. I've been speaking to students and professors at both places. And each person speaks very highly of their respective institution.

Given that I want to go into consulting and/or hospital management - having never done that before, I am not sure 9-10 months of a cramped curriculum at Johns Hopkins is the best fit for me. Having said that, UMich is a big state school, larger classes, and one can easily get lost. Also, without any aid, I'm looking at 100 k for 2 years.

Both programs have pros and cons. And I'm stuck in the middle. What are people's thoughts on this....
Looking forward to hearing from you all....

Interested in consulting/hospital management. Program structure/location aside, what's the better/more marketable option - Hopkins MHA or Michigan MHSA?

anyone concerned about Michigan as a failing state at the moment - with the economic downturn...
if i'm considering UMich for th MHSA, is this a worry?

Anyone?

can you all post your stats for those of you that were accepted into hopkins and umich????? also, does hopkins and umich do interviews before accepting? thanks for the help!

can you all post your stats for those of you that were accepted into hopkins and umich????? also, does hopkins and umich do interviews before accepting? thanks for the help!

yes they both do interviews. the interview with umich was more casual. johns hopkins was more intense....
stats: 710 Q, 500 V
GPA: 3.8
2 years work experience - U.S and India.

anyone concerned about Michigan as a failing state at the moment - with the economic downturn...
if i'm considering UMich for th MHSA, is this a worry?

Anyone?

I wouldn't worry too much about the educational system, I don't think any state government would allow their state schools to fail. Besides, UM has a very large endowment just in case :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the educational system, I don't think any state government would allow their state schools to fail. Besides, UM has a very large endowment just in case :)

i'M not worrid about UMich, I am about job opportunities specific to this area - at the moment, Michigan has been deemed as the worst hit areas in terms of umemployment (obviously) - but should this be a factor I take into consideration when I decide on choosing U or M?

Frankly - I still seem to be going back and forth between UMich and Hopkins. They both have strenths in their own regard - and to forsee which program will open up the best job opportunities for me when I graduate is difficult. Given the economic situation. I'm sure is hard for everyone at the moment - so i'm just nervous thats all.
I'm taking a loan on my own - i hafta be pretty damn sure I can pay it back :) I'm an international student - so that stuff about loan forgiveness doesnt apply to me...

what do you mean the interview at hopkins was intense? can you explain that interview experience a little more in detail? thanks!

hey, just wondering if you decided Hopkins or Michigan...I'm in a Michigan (where I have the most aid) vs. Harvard (barely any aid) dilemma and would appreciate some input

i'M not worrid about UMich, I am about job opportunities specific to this area - at the moment, Michigan has been deemed as the worst hit areas in terms of umemployment (obviously) - but should this be a factor I take into consideration when I decide on choosing U or M?

Frankly - I still seem to be going back and forth between UMich and Hopkins. They both have strenths in their own regard - and to forsee which program will open up the best job opportunities for me when I graduate is difficult. Given the economic situation. I'm sure is hard for everyone at the moment - so i'm just nervous thats all.
I'm taking a loan on my own - i hafta be pretty damn sure I can pay it back :) I'm an international student - so that stuff about loan forgiveness doesnt apply to me...

hey, just wondering if you decided Hopkins or Michigan...I'm in a Michigan (where I have the most aid) vs. Harvard (barely any aid) dilemma and would appreciate some input

First of all, congratulations on Harvard. You're in a great position.
I finally decided on UMich. I went back and forth ALOT... but program wise, UMich made the most sense to me. Hopkins in comparison seemed weak for health managament/policy, with a 9 month accelerated program, and online classes. I felth like the steap tuition didnt seem worth it..... to me personally.

About Harvard, I've looked over the HPM programs. I assume you are talking about the 80 credit program? If so, then what track? The management track looked very solid to me... like awesome actually - the kind of classes you'd only get at Harvard - 'financial transactional analysis' - hardcore. But the policy track seemed to fluid - like not structured at all. one going into health policy without a directed focus, would easily get lost. and i liked that they had a research track as well - but thats not where my interests lie personally. so i wouldnt be able to evaluate objectively. Even though you do have aid at UMich, I'm seriosly consider Harvard. I mean a degree at Harvard eventually pays for itself - rest assured you have awesome opportunities waiting for you as soon as you graduate. I regret not applying to Harvard. I momentarily considered deferring admissions this year to apply to harvard to see if i got in for 2010. as much as it still appeals to be, i feel like i want to start school this year - get rolling with the rest of my life. this plan is also risky. i'm playing it safe.

Strengths about UMich - is that the program according to me is very stellar. I'm happy about my choice to go here. I have identified a bunch of professors I'd like to do research with in my second semester, and research alongside school is important to me. not as a career, but for experience. also, the program is very geared towards the real world - like very focussed on learning skills required for particular settings - like in a consulting firm, or for an admin position in a hospital, or other health providers... so yeah very focussed. they're not so strong for policy so beware. cons for michigan - class size - more competition among peers for a limited no. of jobs.... i'm not sure what harvard;s class size is in comparison.

I hope this helps.
best of luck.

Hey don't even think about Michigan compared to Harvard. The Harvard brand is soooo much stronger and the program is much more structured. I would say don't let money stop you from getting quality education.

Good luck!

Hi
I have 2 years healthcare consulting experience with 3.2 undergrad gpa and 1100 in GRE.I have applied to JHU for fall 2011..Do u guys think I have chance?Also did anyone get an admission decision for fall 2011?what did they ask in ur interview?

user_online.gif

My spouse works for a major healthcare consultancy and said Hopkins is very well known in the Health care consultancies.

Hi there,

I read your post and would like to take your (spouse's) advice. Which of these is more reputed for MHA? I'm yet to start applying, so even multiple suggestions would help me.

1. Georgia State Uni

2. Missouri

3. Tulane

4. National Louis

5. St. Louis

6. Florida Atlantic Uni

7. Texas A & M

8. Hofstra

9. Georgetown Uni

Also, is there any major difference in the following: Or are they just the same as Master of Health Administration (MHA)

Master of Healthcare Admin

Master of Health Services Admin

Master of Health Systems Admin

Master of Health Management

Master of Science in Health Administration

I'd be really grateful if you gave me a response.

Thank you so much,

Kris

Last edited: