Hopkins pain fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello all,

This was posted back in 2010 but no-one chimed in. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pain fellowship at JHU? I know it's a big name, but are they interventional heavy? More bread/butter or chronic pain mgmt?

Thanks

- ex 61N

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

This was posted back in 2010 but no-one chimed in. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pain fellowship at JHU? I know it's a big name, but are they interventional heavy? More bread/butter or chronic pain mgmt?

Thanks

- ex 61N

I trained there. It's definitely focused on interventional pain management as opposed to purely medical management of chronic pain, but even so you'll still get more than enough exposure as a fellow to confidently handle medication management for a wide variety of chronic pain states. In general, the program is fairly heavy on surgical aspect of interventional pain management because of Erdek's practice, which focuses on cancer pain and neuromodulation, and Williams' patient population, which has a fair number of candidates for neuromodulation. Christo is also a big advocate for stimulators, so you'll get quite a few trials and implants when you work with him.

The autonomy is excellent there--it's definitely a fellow driven practice setting. If you don't thrive in a setting with minimal "hand holding" you'll struggle to do well at Hopkins. Formal didactics are pretty good but you definitely have to do a lot of reading at home to get the most out of the year. Tons of crazy pathology there from all over the world. Raja and Cohen have patients (literally) all over the world. It's pretty cool to take care of the international patients, including royal family members. You'll get tons of bread and butter pathology from local patients but also a big dose of truly weird crap from the worldwide referral base.

Job prospects after the fellowship are fantastic. The name definitely helps secure interviews in coveted locations, practices, etc. If you want to go into academics, you're golden. Great place to launch an academic career if that's your thing, but most grads go into private practice.

Overall, I had a great experience at Hopkins. Like every program, there are drawbacks and frustrations there, but on balance it's an outstanding place to train. No regrets on my end.

Reactions: 1 user
Great review. Thanks EtherBunny. Can I ask when you graduated?

Members don't see this ad :)
I trained there. It's definitely focused on interventional pain management as opposed to purely medical management of chronic pain, but even so you'll still get more than enough exposure as a fellow to confidently handle medication management for a wide variety of chronic pain states. In general, the program is fairly heavy on surgical aspect of interventional pain management because of Erdek's practice, which focuses on cancer pain and neuromodulation, and Williams' patient population, which has a fair number of candidates for neuromodulation. Christo is also a big advocate for stimulators, so you'll get quite a few trials and implants when you work with him.

The autonomy is excellent there--it's definitely a fellow driven practice setting. If you don't thrive in a setting with minimal "hand holding" you'll struggle to do well at Hopkins. Formal didactics are pretty good but you definitely have to do a lot of reading at home to get the most out of the year. Tons of crazy pathology there from all over the world. Raja and Cohen have patients (literally) all over the world. It's pretty cool to take care of the international patients, including royal family members. You'll get tons of bread and butter pathology from local patients but also a big dose of truly weird crap from the worldwide referral base.

Job prospects after the fellowship are fantastic. The name definitely helps secure interviews in coveted locations, practices, etc. If you want to go into academics, you're golden. Great place to launch an academic career if that's your thing, but most grads go into private practice.

Overall, I had a great experience at Hopkins. Like every program, there are drawbacks and frustrations there, but on balance it's an outstanding place to train. No regrets on my end.

Looks like there are only 4 fellows each year... is it a very tiring call schedule? Do you ever cover acute pain or epidurals? Do you ever take in-house call?

It sounds wonderful from his review. I wouldn't worry about the call schedule. Many "big name" programs have bad pain fellowships with too many fellows. This looks like you get a great name and an even better experience. It is worth a high call burden (if there even is one) to get that combo.

Looks like there are only 4 fellows each year... is it a very tiring call schedule? Do you ever cover acute pain or epidurals? Do you ever take in-house call?

The call schedule is pretty similar to what you'll find in private practice. Each fellow takes call for a week at a time. It's home call and (generally speaking) very tolerable. Through the course of my fellowship, I went into the ER twice and I received 2 calls after 9 PM. Otherwise, it was pretty chill. I wouldn't worry too much about the call burden. It's NOTHING like my calls as an anesthesia resident. I got CRUSHED as a resident. Countless sleepless nights in the hospital covering the cardiovascular center, the main hospital, preop, pacu, and carrying the emergency airway pager. It was ridiculous. Relative to those years, the call burden as an interventional pain fellow at Hopkins was a joke.