Horrible CARS score, help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigi24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaking as I received my scores from 9/23:

129 CP, 122 CARS, 128 BB, 127 PS
Overall: 506

AAMC FL: 75% CP, 87% CARS, 73% BB, 73% PS

I didn’t do so well with timing in the actual exam, I felt like I kept looking back at the passage too much whereas in the FL I was fine. I guess I just was not understanding the passages yet that is what I worked towards to when doing all of the passages in EK 101, TPRH Verba,l and the AAMC CARS QPacks.

Any additional tips to bring the score up or other good material out there? I’ve read in previous threads CARS is the hardest to bring up..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you. CARs was my worst grade so now i'm trying to read journal articles as much as i can and when I start my 90+ days count down i plan to do at least two passages a day. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You were most likely reading too fast. The testing environment can make you anxious and cause you to do things that you normally wouldn't do or did not do when you took the FL. I would also go as far as to say the FL is a little easier side and tends to give students a false sense of security. However, sometimes having that confidence can make all the difference.

The new practice exam is being released soon and I think that will most likely give you a better indicator as to where you stand for CARS. I suggest taking that specific exam in a condition that matches that of a prometric (go to a library with minimal disturbances, time yourself correctly, etc).

But before you take that new practice exam, prepare well. You want to use that exam to determine whether or not you are truly ready for the real thing. If you practice and prepare well but end up with a poor CARS score on the new practice exam, that is a warning that should not be ignored.

Reactions: 1 user