Horse Age (Racing)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincessButterCup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a question I was hoping some of you horse people might be able to answer.

My boss made a comment about Thoroughbred racing the other day. She supports racing, but she was talking about how the horses are raced so young, and how it would be better for their health if they didn't begin racing until they were older.

I work in a small animal hospital - I know very, very little about horses. I didn't have a chance to ask her more about her comment. I was wondering if someone could elaborate on this topic? Why are horses raced so young - does their speed decline after they're 3? Is it just a financial thing - the more quickly horses can begin running and earning money, the better for the owner? Tradition?

Also, from what I understand, Quarter Horses race much longer than Thoroughbreds. Is there some physiological difference between the breeds that explains this trend?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the industry, but Quarter horses are named such because of their history for running a quarter mile really fast. Quarters are a little more stocky than Thoroughbreds. So Quarters are great for longer distances, Thoroughbreds are good for bursts, because their lithe and quick.

I don't know the industry, but Quarter horses are named such because of their history for running a quarter mile really fast. Quarters are a little more stocky than Thoroughbreds. So Quarters are great for longer distances, Thoroughbreds are good for bursts, because their lithe and quick.

Don't Quarter Horses race for more years, as well? I don't know the industry either, but don't Thoroughbreds stop racing at 3, and Quarter Horses can still be racing at 6 years old, or older? Does the length of time racing have something to do with different body builds?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't Quarter Horses race for more years, as well? I don't know the industry either, but don't Thoroughbreds stop racing at 3, and Quarter Horses can still be racing at 6 years old, or older? Does the length of time racing have something to do with different body builds?
Quite possibly. I think Thoroughbreds are a tad more fragile than Quarters. Though I hope someone who knows more than me comes in and says something so I can stop pulling theories from thin air :laugh:

This is why I did showing and not racing. I showed youngin's, I showed oldies, I showed in between. lol. And I am too tall to be a jockey (the only time I have been too tall for something).

You have that backwards. Quarter horses are short distance (quarter mile) sprinters, thoroughbreds run for distance (1+ mile). Quarter horses are stocky and are incredibly fast in a quarter mile, but are not built for distance.

Most thoroughbreds retire early (like we will almost positively see American Pharoah retired very soon) because once they're successful, and can be bred, it's not worth the risk of continuing to run them -- they can only be bred by live cover to be registered with the jockey club. So, had Barbaro recovered, he likely wouldn't have been able to be bred anyway.

You do find older thoroughbreds still racing, usually stakes horses that have been moderately successful but are nothing to write home about. Steeplechase horses often race longer as well. It's not that unusual to by an off track thoroughbred and re-train it to show and have it have run 50+ races...not enough winnings to retire the horse to breed at a young age, but enough to keep the owners hopeful that the horse might have been a late bloomer.

Reactions: 2 users
You have that backwards. Quarter horses are short distance (quarter mile) sprinters, thoroughbreds run for distance (1+ mile). Quarter horses are stocky and are incredibly fast in a quarter mile, but are not built for distance.

I was gonna say, a quarter mile is pretty short... Even I can run that!

I think they are started too young. If they are racing at 3, they are started at 1.5-2 years old. Not long enough for the bones to develop in width or maybe length. I think I read somewhere that bone length is developed by 1.5 years old, but in my experience some of the larger, taller breeds take til 5 years old to develop to their full stature. Thats mostly warmbloods though so I don't know how that relates to thoroughbreds.
Some racing supporters say that racing conditioning helps build bone but in my opinion its just bone remodeling, which means you are taking bone density from one area and depositing it in another, leaving one area weaker. Stress that area and you have a break. There is something to be said for beginning to exercise horses when they are younger- it helps develop muscular and bone strength earlier with life long benefit. But that refers to less strenuous exercise- pulling carts and such, not conditioning for racing.
I think they start them young for financial reasons. Young racing bred colts and fillies are expensive just to buy. Every year you keep them costs money in feed and housing and you don't know how they will run By training and running them earlier, it is less of a financial risk. Then there is the triple crown. A lot of money to win or place in even one race and alot to be made off of breeding all by the age of 3 when they run it. Of course, most horses do not run in it at all, but futurity races for the others are a big cash draw. All of this is just my opinion though, I am not an expert and do not claim to be.

Some racing supporters say that racing conditioning helps build bone but in my opinion its just bone remodeling, which means you are taking bone density from one area and depositing it in another, leaving one area weaker. Stress that area and you have a break.

That isn't how bone remodeling works.

Reactions: 3 users
Worth reading about bone development in racehorses...

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/thor...27/the-ideal-2-year-old-training-program.aspx

http://www.ker.com/library/advances/318.pdf

http://www.ker.com/library/equinereview/2009/HealthLine/HL46.pdf

Money and tradition dictates a lot in this sport. Horses mature and peak at different ages....just like any other athlete. Maybe they are a fast 2yo that wins everything and is named champion, but they may not make the transition to 3yo and do anything else on the track. Sometimes this means they get better over time and sometimes they just mature enough to put it all together (legs, maturity, mental aspect, desire, etc.) to win. When they are ready to race, they race; heck...many don't even make it off the training track. We do not race TB 2yos like we use to in regards to frequency, although there are some specific trainers that do push their young horses more than others. I'm not a huge fan of a specific famous trainer because of that, and more frequently he has not been as dominate in the 3yo classics and losr horse handicaps. I think the sport has gotten better at not pushing the 2yos and letting them grow up. Horses like Zenyatta are exactly of that style. Then there are horses like American Pharoah that were 2yo champions that just continue to get better...

The classics have always and will always be for 3yos. They are the ultimate goal due to prestige, money, increase in horse value, and difficulty to win. This makes the 3yo year their "most important" as a generalization. I thinks the Breeders' Cup helps balance this a little bit. TBs do not stop racing after their 3yo year. You are probably thinking about the champion 3yos that have retired, but this comes down to weighing stud offers vs risk of value decline if they bounce in their 4yo year vs insurance costs to keep them on the track vs potential success. Successful fillies tend to race longer than colts since their breeding potential is not as lucrative while they could potentially earn more on the track and increase foal sale prices. There are many older racehorses at all levels. One of my recent ravorites is Wise Dan...Google if you haven't watched him run.

The thing that usually makes me laugh when horse people's ask this question (not looking at you specifically OP) is that many horses are started as young especially in the western and breed world. There are reining and hunter futurities that also put stress on the young horse; although my personal experience has shown that hunter futurity horses are not ridden very often or jumped much in preparation. Heck...many non show homes start horses in their early 2yo year or so.

I don't know enough about QH racing to try to compare, but they are run much more frequently than TBs, I think. Don't they still do qualification heats for the big races? And I would not consider QHs sounder than TBs...can you say big body/little feet and navicular? Haha Also...I have yet to find anthing that says bone density (not circumference) differs among breeds to support this thought but would love hear if someone has tracked this info down; the research I've found suggests density is mostly due to exercise and nutrition.

I think the problem with TBs and racing stock is not the age they are started but the human intervention through management and training programs. That's just just personal opinion from a very big horse racing fan. :)

(Hopefully I stayed somewhat on track with my thoughts. Haha)

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for all your help, everyone! I had no idea training worked like that. Thanks for the links, Philliab. :)

Reactions: 1 user