Hospice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone volunteer at a hospice? I got a phone call from my volunteer coor. and was notified that the patient I was seeing past away. My question, what do you say in such a situation or phone call. other than i am sorry to hear such bad news thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Anyone volunteer at a hospice? I got a phone call from my volunteer coor. and was notified that the patient I was seeing past away. My question, what do you say in such a situation or phone call. other than i am sorry to hear such bad news thanks!

That was nice of them to call. My mom is a hospice nurse and a lot of times if she has been working with a patient for a long time they will call her when the patient starts going into cheyne-stokes breathing (means they will die in a couple of hours) and she goes in to be with them when they die. Next time you should ask to do that. I know it sounds morbid, but its kind of interesting to see.

I got a phone call from the family first and the volunteer coordinator later on. When the family called, the daughter was sobbing and I just started crying too. It was a conversation of few words, but I think it got the point across.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's interesting to see someone pass away? I would hope to think that you would be by their side when they passed away because you cared for them.

It's interesting to see someone pass away? I would hope to think that you would be by their side when they passed away because you cared for them.

My mom would go in because she cared about the person, but she would let me come along just to see the process (I had never met the people before). but you can care about someone as a person AND be interested in the physiology.

My mom would go in because she cared about the person, but she would let me come along just to see the process (I had never met the people before). but you can care about someone as a person AND be interested in the physiology.

That definitely creeps me out. Do you bring popcorn?

actually, at the hospice I work for, they have volunteers specifically for the task of staying with the person as they die so they won't die alone, even though the person doesn't really know you're there. I think the philosophy at my hospice is no one should have to die alone.

I always sent condolence cards (the hospice w/which I volunteered had printed nice cards with the hospice logo). Depending on how close I was with the family, I sometimes called.

If you are not close with the family and/or patient, it isn't necessarily the best idea to be present for the death. Dying is the last thing people experience and they shouldn't have to have a volunteer present unless that's what they want. Some people like to die surrounded by family and friends. Others seem to choose to die alone (people often die the moment everyone clears the room!). Few prefer to die with a relative stranger (obviously exceptions exist, such as when someone doesn't have anyone else to be there), and unless you've been with a patient for a while, you probably fall into that category as a hospice volunteer.

In my experience, the sole purpose of a hospice volunteer is to serve the needs of the patient and/or caregiver. The volunteer's personal agenda is necessarily checked at the door. That may sound a little harsh, but if you spend enough time as a volunteer you will likely run across someone who wants you to be with him when he dies. But don't take it personally when someone doesn't want you there. This is one time it's never about you.

I just started volunteering in a hospice last week. I wanted to do hospice work because I watched the slow demise of my step father several months ago, and I just thought that if I was in that same postion I would want someone there with me, not necessarily to say anything, because often there is nothing to say, but just to know I wasn't alone in this process. I can already tell it is going to be heart breaking to see my hospice patients pass away, but I'm volunteering for their emotional well being, not mine.

actually, at the hospice I work for, they have volunteers specifically for the task of staying with the person as they die so they won't die alone, even though the person doesn't really know you're there. I think the philosophy at my hospice is no one should have to die alone.

I did that for a few patients--it's amazing how many people don't have anyone left (and this was in NYC), and what a difference being there for someone is even if they're no longer conscious....there can be complete physiological/emotional change just from holding someone's hand. The people who work in the hospice field are also amazing, kind people.

Astrife: My dad had passed away a few months before I started there, which was also what had drawn me to hospice...and while sometimes it was hard, it was an incredibly rewarding experience, and I felt I really *gave* the most at hospice out of any the premed volunteering I've done. I think you'll also find that your personal experience will help make you a better volunteer in helping patients and their families through it all. :luck:

What about memorial services--do you go to those for patients that you spent a lot of time with or otherwise felt close to?

I'm starting my volunteer training later this month...looking forward to it!