Hospital administrators pillaging healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really wondering why that stitch in the ED costs more than $500. This is why:

"$584,000 on average for an insurance chief executive officer, $386,000 for a hospital C.E.O. and $237,000 for a hospital administrator...In a deal that is not unusual in the industry, Mark T. Bertolini, the chief executive of Aetna, earned a salary of about $977,000 in 2012 but a total compensation package of over $36 million, the bulk of it from stocks vested and options he exercised that year. Likewise, Ronald J. Del Mauro, a former president of Barnabas Health, a midsize health system in New Jersey, earned a salary of just $28,000 in 2012, the year he retired, but total compensation of $21.7 million."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/s...re-not-the-big-cost.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

This really highlights the role of physican as a laborer. 10+ years of advanced training alone to be a cog in a wheel that crushes our patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The days of truly independent, single-specialty Rad Onc groups are drawing to a close. Either join like-minded, independent physician groups or submit to the will of your local hospital management. There is no right or wrong answer, but personally I will try to avoid employment for as long as humanly possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
The days of truly independent, single-specialty Rad Onc groups are drawing to a close. Either join like-minded, independent physician groups or submit to the will of your local hospital management. There is no right or wrong answer, but personally I will try to avoid employment for as long as humanly possible.

AMEN to that GFunk. You and I see eyeball-to-eyeball on that one.