Hospital internships WITHOUT forensic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope4Grad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As I have been going through potential Internship sites, I have been looking at state hospitals. I have done a forensic prac, but it's not something I especially want to continue. Just not my thing. After looking at lots of state hospital sites, most of them have a forensic component. Does anyone know of any good ones that don't? I would love to hear suggestions from people who have found hospital internship sites with NO forensic, please :)

Thanks,

Hope4Grad

Members don't see this ad.

If you are open to VA hospitals…I think most would be a good option, though a bit different than a typical state hospital. You can also look at consortiums, as some/many have public hospital rotations.

Aren't they usually forensic tracks? Rather than being a mandatory part of your training? I know Columbia Presbyterian does not have a forensic component. UMDNJ/Rutgers (whatever it's called now) has separate tracks: adult, child, forensic, so you choose which to apply to. I applied to forensic tracks so at this point my memory is fuzzy about which ones were optional. But there are many. I applied throughout NY, NJ, and the New England area. I would suggest reading the materials carefully because this component is usually something you elect to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently completed internship at an inpatient public health hospital. It did not have any forensic-focused components to the program, but did have a unit with patient who have a history in the criminal justice system (e.g. leveled sex offenders, older males who completed their sentence and were unable to go to a shelter due to medical needs, etc.). Feel free to PM me for more about the internship site and clinical track.

Reactions: 1 user
@LPPSYD : Yes, I have read the materials quite carefully. That is why I am asking this question in the first place. Most have major and minor rotations - and while one can complete a major rotation in a non-forensic track, the minor rotations to choose from are what is available (as in what is already in place that they already offer). This means doing a minor in forensics most of the time.

....But thank you for the Columbia Pres suggestion - I'll look into that!

Curious...why are you trying so hard to stay away from forensic aspect?

Just not my thing

I see. Well, inpatient work involves working with people who A. Dont want to be there. hence, there is forensic aspect because there is are issues of civil liberties and legal dictations in your practice. B. People who want to be there and are receiving disability from one source or another and will using your or your treatment in the process. C. Are very ill and often assault others or break the law, both knowingly and unknowingly. D. Are there because they have legal guardians, POAs, or are otherwise impaired.

When you state "forensic," are you referring specifically to matters related to criminal ajudication? Or, as Erg references, the broader and entirely relevant arena of regular clinical practice that, increasingly, moves into the legal arena? I would respectfully suggest that you not write off forensic rotations on internship (Sidebar: It is only one year!). Some level of forensic exposure on internship can only benefit you down the road, even if you go into full-time psychotherapy private practice. You do not have to believe me, but remember my words when a patient ("client") presents a disability form for you to sign, or you get your first subpoena duces tecum, or get ordered by a judge to appear at a custody hearing. FWIW, I would say that 75%+ of my APA-accredited internship was "just not my thing" vis-à-vis my clinical practice for many years, but I ultimately benefitted - and continue to benefit - from ALL of it.

Check out the Institute of Living in CT.

@LPPSYD : Yes, I have read the materials quite carefully. That is why I am asking this question in the first place. Most have major and minor rotations - and while one can complete a major rotation in a non-forensic track, the minor rotations to choose from are what is available (as in what is already in place that they already offer). This means doing a minor in forensics most of the time.

....But thank you for the Columbia Pres suggestion - I'll look into that!

Princeton House (NJ) does not have a forensic population. Also, I don't think Ancora Psychiatric Hospital, either of the two Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care systems, or Greystone Park (all NJ) required forensic work if you didn't choose that track. Whether the selection of minor rotations is adequate enough to avoid it altogether I'm not sure.

I would echo the concerns of others that this is really hard to avoid altogether in an inpatient setting.