Hospital Lift Team??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crunk Norris

dude
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a job listing at a local hospital titled "lift team". It sounds intriguing but there is very little describing the duties of being on the lift team, all it says is the location is the pool. I did some research and found the lift team lifts things! Who knew??? So does anyone have any experience being on a lift team? Is it a rewarding experience/good job for pre-meds?

Members don't see this ad.

Jejejeje, I'm not in a lift team but sometimes we call them to help us lift some, who is heavy, out a wheelchair and transport them unto a gurney. Or from gurney to gurney. You will interact with patients so it might be a good experience.

It means you have to help out transfers with morbidly obese people. It's my least favorite thing to do (had to do it as a EMT and now as a CNA) but if you don't mind doing it, you'd definitely get patient contact. Probably more patient contact than you bargained for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd beware. You don't want to hurt your back lifting obese people and have to deal w/ the consequences. You squat a respectable amount but you have to realize that if the nurses are calling for the lift team, the patient is probably in the 300-600 range. Even w/ a few strongmen with good form, there's a chance of hurting yourself by accident.
These patients tend to smell bad and be grumpy because you're probably not going to be able to be gentle w/ them when they're so big. Some of my patients haven't rolled from their left side to their right side in 6 months because they're so obese. They obviously haven't showered in years.

Go volunteer in the emergency room or something.

There is a job listing at a local hospital titled "lift team". It sounds intriguing but there is very little describing the duties of being on the lift team, all it says is the location is the pool. I did some research and found the lift team lifts things! Who knew??? So does anyone have any experience being on a lift team? Is it a rewarding experience/good job for pre-meds?

If you knew that one thing missing in your life was lifting fat people, then this is the job for you.

I'd beware. You don't want to hurt your back lifting obese people and have to deal w/ the consequences. You squat a respectable amount but you have to realize that if the nurses are calling for the lift team, the patient is probably in the 300-600 range. Even w/ a few strongmen with good form, there's a chance of hurting yourself by accident.
These patients tend to smell bad and be grumpy because you're probably not going to be able to be gentle w/ them when they're so big. Some of my patients haven't rolled from their left side to their right side in 6 months because they're so obese. They obviously haven't showered in years.

Go volunteer in the emergency room or something.

OP, you should practice some tire flips and get the form down. It's a good combination of upper and lower body strength. Just imagine the tire is some 500 lb persons leg that you must lift and hold steady.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BlgYNXDK8[/YOUTUBE]

By pool I believe they mean float pool, as in working throughout the hospital. Working as a rehab aide in inpatient rehab has been somewhat similar to this job and I'd say that it's been very rewarding. Figuring out how to move a 660 lb pt that has ecchymosis, pressure sores, respiratory distress, djd, etc isn't exactly a blast, but an excellent learning experience. I use the hoyer lifts frequently and many of the nurses, PT s and ot's ask me to help with operating them and problem solving how to best utilize them. Especially when the pts have wounds. There is much less heavy lifting than you think if you utilize the proper equipment and work as a team. It's when you get in a hurry or try to lift more than you should that you get hurt. I've never hurt myself, but I've also been very cautious as I'm tall. Most of the accidents happen when you let your guard down. These are valuable skills, teamwork, planning, working under pressure, etc. I'd say go for it!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Do you have any other opportunities lined up for you?

I work as a CNA at our local hospital and I wish we had a lift team! I don't have trouble transferring the majority of the patients but sometimes an extra pair of hands would be extremely helpful. You'd definitely get patient contact and another perk of working at the hospital is that it opens a bunch of connections you may not have had otherwise. I've been able shadow a few physicians and am getting a great LOR from my nurse supervisor.

I say go for it, it's a unique experience. At least try it out so that you won't have to wonder later on what that experience would have been like :)