Hospital outpatient vs Managed care ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newpharmacist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After working for chains for over 5 years, Just started working in hospital outpatient , took 10k pay cut, but better PTO and benefits.
Also got another offer from managed care with pay comparable to major chains( didn't expect that) with way better benefits and PTO.

While my heart is in managed care, but I don't think I can commit to the time that may be expected out of me in this kind of a job (>40 per week).
And I also know either of these opportunities is not easy to come by.. Which ever I reject I may not get another chance in it.

What would you do if in a situation like this? Would you go with managed care or hospital outpatient?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
probably managed care. seems more stable, no? You're on the "other side" of things I would say.

While my heart is in managed care, but I don't think I can commit to the time that may be expected out of me in this kind of a job (>40 per week).

how many hours do they expect you to work? what will you be doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well officially 40 hrs, but in the interviews I got a feel that you generally don't get to go home finishing your 8 hr shift. You end up staying late.
It might not be the case, but that's how I felt listening to the hr guy.
As for profile , more like doing prior authorizations.

Personally I love outpatient hospital pharmacy. But if managed care is your goal. Do it now! Once you get "type cast" into outpatient (you have a few years in chains), then you will not be able to go back. A lot of other fields won't give you a chance once you are in one field for too long, although often it may be their loss to not give you a shot.

I don't know....if you hadn't already started the inpatient job, I would tell you to go managed care. If you quit so soon after taking the hospital job, you probably won't be able to work at that hospital again. But managed care jobs are rarer, so if its what you want, you probably don't want to pass up the opportunity. But, if you can't see committing to the time required, you'd be better off turning down the job (and leaving open the possibility that you could work there again in the future.) What if 10 hours every day were expected, would you still want the managed care job? What if it were 12 hours? What if it were 16 hours, but only 1 month a year? How are you adjusting to the pay cut since taking the hospital job? Is the pay cut a struggle or a breeze?

I guess I would try to imagine a likely worst scenario (not the worst scenario which would be unlikely) for both jobs and then see which one you would find more bearable. Then go with that job.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know....if you hadn't already started the inpatient job, I would tell you to go managed care. If you quit so soon after taking the hospital job, you probably won't be able to work at that hospital again. .

Precisely! And I am not sure if going backwards ( MC to retail ) is even possible.

But managed care jobs are rarer, so if its what you want, you probably don't want to pass up the opportunity. But, if you can't see committing to the time required, you'd be better off turning down the job (and leaving open the possibility that you could work there again in the future.) What if 10 hours every day were expected, would you still want the managed care job? What if it were 12 hours? What if it were 16 hours, but only 1 month a year? .

How are you adjusting to the pay cut since taking the hospital job? Is the pay cut a struggle or a breeze? -- .

it's like 15K or so, But quality of life is so much better! That 15K. was not worth it at all!

Last edited:
Personally I love outpatient hospital pharmacy. But if managed care is your goal. Do it now! Once you get "type cast" into outpatient (you have a few years in chains), then you will not be able to go back. A lot of other fields won't give you a chance once you are in one field for too long, although often it may be their loss to not give you a shot.
Yes getting typecast is yet another issue bothering me.

10 years a day doing P/A will kill you

What do you prefer Managed care or Hospital outpatient given equal pay structure and benefits?

What do you prefer Managed care or Hospital outpatient given equal pay structure and benefits?
What's your end goal with managed care?

Doing PAs is as entry level as you can get for managed care.

Other pharmacist roles in a PBM or large HMO can be more non-clinical, such as pipeline forecasting, rebate contracting, and building/maintaing a pharmacy network. Of course these are not pushed by pharmacy schools as they aren't clinical, but they do require a different way of thinking.

I don't think MC is stable. I expect there will be big changes to insurance and maybe single payer in the future (one can dream).