Hospital Pharm Tech position as a P2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P1. I was offered a hospital pharmacy technician position and will start training in May, right after my exams. My parents house is near the hospital so I will live there for the summer.

However, during the school year they want me working every third weekend, and it's a two hour drive one way from where I'm at school. It's a very prestigious hospital and I want the experience (don't have any previous hospital experience, just retail).

I heard P2 year is the hardest, so do you think the possibility of my grades taking a hit is worth the experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Working every third weekend is doable if you plan it out. The real question is what are your goals? If you want a residency or to work in a hospital, I would recommend taking the job. Hospital experience is hard to come by and looks great on an application.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of my classmates for every week and maintain high GPAs so every third weekend shouldnt be an issue at all. If you are going for residency, I think hospital experience will outweigh a 0.1 drop in GPA

Totally worth the drive and time spent, IMO. You may hit a few hard weekends (super hard exam Monday morning) but even then it will be worth it.

I want to go into pharmacy informatics and managing the EMR (Epic). Therefore, I want to do a residency. Thus far, I don't hold any leadership positions in any of the organizations at my school. Hopefully having this experience will offset that.