Hospital Pharmacy Intern pay in Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglesfan1392

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what the average pay rate for a hospital pharmacy intern should be in Pennsylvania. I am applying to UPENN hospital and they are asking a desired salary. Anyone know what I should put there?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can recall around 2009 - 2012, intern pay at the hospitals in philly was around 13 - 16?

Last edited:
Won't matter what you put, all interns at HUP/Presby/Pennsy get the same rate. Put $16 and be happy if you get a phone call back.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 'U' word

Union? I don't get how that would affect it though. I thought the universal understanding was that the hierarchy in the pharmacy goes like this:

DOP > Staff Pharmacists > Pharmacy Interns > Pharmacy Technicians.

Not including the clinical pharmacists, assistant directors, pharmacy managers, etc.

I wanted to know what the average pay rate for a hospital pharmacy intern should be in Pennsylvania. I am applying to UPENN hospital and they are asking a desired salary. Anyone know what I should put there?

Thanks in advance!

You'll get about 15-16/hr. I work at another Philly hospital and all interns get 15/hr here. Others I interviewed at offered 14 and 15.50.

What I could never understand once I started working at a hospital was why the **** I got paid $15/hour and the ******* techs got $25/hour.

Interns are expendable and should just be happy they got a phone call.

Good lifer techs are hard to come by and serve as the bedrock of your dispensing services.

I know some hospitals that pay interns ZERO and get stacks of applications.

I was just wondering if in hospital pharmacy, your salary increases as you progress through your years in pharmacy school. I know retail does that but not sure about hospital pharmacy.

I was just wondering if in hospital pharmacy, your salary increases as you progress through your years in pharmacy school. I know retail does that but not sure about hospital pharmacy.
Mine didn't, but of course YMMV. My hospital didn't have a "train up the intern" program like most retail companies seem to have.