Hospital taste in mouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
***I'm not asking for medical advice, just making a note of a strange, albeit minor occurrence***

During the first week of getting acquainted to any hospital in high school/UG/med school (for volunteering, job, shadowing, research, whatever..) I always get a weird aftertaste/smell in my mouth when I leave and it lingers for a week or two. I can't really differentiate between whether it's a smell or taste but it's something. It's not a terrible smell, but it's not a great sensation either. It comes when I try to like taste my own mouth (I don't know if any of this makes sense, I feel like it's some kind of sanitizer). I only experience this aftereffect when I'm in a hospital with patients (ICU, ER, etc.). Casual visits to the hospital don't result in this for appointments or paperwork don't result in this. Has anyone ever experienced this? I usually notice is the most right when getting adjusted to a hospital.

Anyways, this isn't causing me any harm and is not even a problem, but I'm curious because I couldn't find any common experiences with a simple google search.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
***I'm not asking for medical advice, just making a note of a strange, albeit minor occurrence***

During the first week of getting acquainted to any hospital in high school/UG/med school (for volunteering, job, shadowing, research, whatever..) I always get a weird aftertaste/smell in my mouth when I leave and it lingers for a week or two. I can't really differentiate between whether it's a smell or taste but it's something. It's not a terrible smell, but it's not a great sensation either. It comes when I try to like taste my own mouth (I don't know if any of this makes sense, I feel like it's some kind of sanitizer). I only smell it when I'm in contact with patients in hospital beds. Normal visits to the hospital don't result in this. Has anyone ever experienced this? I usually notice is the most right when getting adjusted to a hospital.

Anyways, this isn't causing me any harm, but I'm curious because I couldn't find any common experiences with a simple google search.
My hospital makes me sneezy. I have no allergies, no hay fever, etc, but when I work a shift I end up sneezing and sometimes coughing by the end of the 12hrs. They just must have the cruddiest HVAC or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Interesting. This problem seems unique to me thus far. Oh well :(

Last edited:
Maybe you're smelling death without realizing it.