Hospitals that take Visiting 3rd Years for Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking for recommendations of hospitals with residencies (if possible academic centers & affiliates) that take visiting 3rd years for rotations. Basically I have a core selective I can do anywhere as well as a couple electives in 3rd year. I'm a DO student.

I'm mainly looking for sites in PA, NY (state, not NYC), OH, North/NE Dalles-FT area, or southern CA, but I'm open to other states. This is for 3rd year, so I want a place with a decent curriculum/structure that'll be a good learning experience, but that will also ease me into the process, since I may not have finished a ton of core rotations by then.

I'm interested in IM for the selective, and EM, Rads, GI, or Neuro (basically all over the place right now) for the electives. I've found a handful of places that take 3rd years for some rotations, but most don't (especially for EM) and my school rotation schedule is rigid, so I figured I'd reach out to you guys and see if you have any recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I rotated at the Plaza in Fort Worth during 3rd year. They have an IM residency. You have to be persistent with the clerkship coordinator there though.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies and PMs I've gotten so far everyone. Any other ideas from those of you who have had to set up similar rotations?

Also, any opinions on IM at Pinnacle, or maybe at some of the UH affiliates near Cleveland? Good education/exposure?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about sites in Cleveland, Pitt, NY state (including NYC) that take visiting students for core selectives? (IM, Peds, Psych, OB/Gyn, Surgery)

You have to be persistent with the clerkship coordinator there though.
ye8fth

Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis will take third years for an EM rotation. I did that this past spring, and I'm a DO student.

They have a highly-regarded ACGME EM residency program.