Hot Pharmacy States vs Cold Pharmacy States List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, get me an inpatient clinical pharmacist position in Philly, and I'll be back as soon as I can drive my car across the country.

My specialty just had a spot.

Members don't see this ad.

um who said i was unemployed. obviously i just don't work in that area that is all...and i was just stating how long i have been trying to get a desirable job (for me) in that area. please keep your opinions to yourself especially if you don't know the situation thanks.

Hmmm, thanks for the offer, but nah, I'd rather share my opinions. :) If YOU don't want to hear opinions of others, then don't post on a public message board. You can't say something over-the-top like its "impossible" to get a job, when its clearly not, and not expect people to call you on it.

Massachusetts is cold based on my last 6 weeks of trying to get a job. Although I am a new graduate so it might not be as bad for those with experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's crazy but yes. There are 5 schools and UIC has a Rockford campus which I think has another 50 students/year.
hmm., so in a year when I start applying for jobs in suburban chicago who screwed am I?

hmm., so in a year when I start applying for jobs in suburban chicago who screwed am I?
It's not impossible but it is more difficult and getting worse each year. Residencies aren't required but they are preferred. Right now clinical experience is still >> than a new grad who just completed a PGY1. BCPS doesn't hurt either. You could get extremely lucky with your timing and have no trouble at all. It just seems that there isn't a whole lot out there.

I heard a rumor that there was a job back in 2012 but it has since been taken.

There was a rumor at my school that someone had landed that job upon graduation... although it was just a rumor...

I've seen postings for jobs in Florida pretty frequently

I see job postings in South Florida quite a bit, but it is mostly PRN work or positions that seem to be perpetually open in certain hospitals. I was honestly shocked that I managed to land a job with a major health system without a residency a couple years back. I don't know what the actual job market is now, but I'm glad I'm not currently on it.

This scares me because I have a good chance of moving there in a little over a year.

Network network network.

I go to several national conferences a year and have made contacts in geographic areas I may potentially be interested in. These people email me every time a job opens up.

I'm not clinical so I don't get to go to conferences with work.

Pay for it yourself and write it off on your taxes.

I have to use vacation time to go to these things, but I find it worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't itemize because I don't own a house yet--- and I understand the point of going for networking but I just can't justify going to a meeting, taking vacation and paying for it all on my own.
IIRC you don't have itemize to take job expenses, but you cannot deduct anything below 2% of your income - the home deduction is completely separate from the job expense deduction.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't realize this- I thought I had to itemize to use the job expense deductible. Still will be a lot of money spent to get to 2%
yes it is, I have never hit that amount, but like you, I am not going to pay to go to a work conference, unless I can watch it from my beach chair with a beer in hand

yes it is, I have never hit that amount, but like you, I am not going to pay to go to a work conference, unless I can watch it from my beach chair with a beer in hand

Meh, my current job took conferences out of the budget. So if I didn't pay for myself, I wouldn't go. Since I'm eyeing heading back to academia I'm all for staying up with everything as well as the networking.

Now, my physician group is paying for my flight/hotel/registration to ACEP, but I still have to use vacation time for it.

Meh, my current job took conferences out of the budget. So if I didn't pay for myself, I wouldn't go. Since I'm eyeing heading back to academia I'm all for staying up with everything as well as the networking.

Now, my physician group is paying for my flight/hotel/registration to ACEP, but I still have to use vacation time for it.
We still have to use PDO's to go, but we put all of our student precepting money into one pot that we can apply for money for registrations (but not travel, etc). I guess if I wanted to get into a new area like you, I would definitely consider it.

Even before I was considering a move I went to conferences. It's a great way to have a reunion with old classmates and coresidents.

But I'm also a huge nerd and always want to hear the new data from the horse's mouth and ask lots of questions.

We all have different priorities.

Ui understand that-- I may suck it up and pay/take vacation this year just because I am thinking about moving soon.

Look into the Florida state SHP if you're interested in hospital. It's a smaller conference and you can focus on the state specifically with networking.