Hourly floaters at Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx1983

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why don't we clock in and out if we are hourly? I feel like I am getting screwed on hours because when a store I'm working at closes at 9 by the time I get the pharmacy closed, in some stores close out the registers and return them, and run down a manager to return the keys it is usually 9:15. As I work a lot of closing shifts this adds up and I probably work an hour a week off the clock. Plus at a 24 hour store I'm at a lot the overnight pharmacist is always 15 minutes late to relieve me. When I brought this to the DM's attention he said I have to email the store manager every time this happens. Seems like it shouldn't be on me to do this EVERY time! Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Careful, they might make you clock out for your lunch break.

Being an hourly floater I get time and half OT for every time I stay beyond my shift

And yes, that time adds up. I accumulate more than an hour in OT pay this way per pay

Members don't see this ad :)
what's stopping u from closing the register n the pharmacy 10mins early? that way u can drop off the keys n cash and leave on time.

Just leave and tell them to blow it up their ass if your relief is late.

Hmmm.....I thought all floaters were supposed to clock in and out if your hourly for Walgreens? I don't know if its a state thing or because I'm not technically a normal floater (RPT). Between closing operations, cleaning the pharmacy, and counting the drawers, I'm surprised anyone leaves exactly on time unless you have no patients in that last hour.

Why don't we clock in and out if we are hourly? I feel like I am getting screwed on hours because when a store I'm working at closes at 9 by the time I get the pharmacy closed, in some stores close out the registers and return them, and run down a manager to return the keys it is usually 9:15. As I work a lot of closing shifts this adds up and I probably work an hour a week off the clock. Plus at a 24 hour store I'm at a lot the overnight pharmacist is always 15 minutes late to relieve me. When I brought this to the DM's attention he said I have to email the store manager every time this happens. Seems like it shouldn't be on me to do this EVERY time! Thoughts?

Making you have to email the manager every time is a deliberate tactic to get you to stop wanting to report it. It is a hassle for you, and it makes you have to be a squeaky wheel, which sometimes gets greased and sometimes just gets replaced. It also gives them a paper trail that they can turn around on you... you clearly have problems with time management if you have to have an extra 15 minutes per shift but none of your colleagues in the same position seem to need that.

I worked at a hospital where all the nurses worked through their lunches routinely, and had to stay an hour or more after they were required to clock out, in order to complete all the assigned side work and documentation that couldn't be done during the day. It was just the culture at the hospital and anyone who tried to get out of working several hours per week for free was branded as "not a team player." When the lawsuit forced the hospital system to compensate all those nurses for all that unpaid time, they came out with this "email us every time there is a variance" bs. Didn't get a break? Send an email. Had to stay late? Send an email. People who sent those emails got feedback in their performance reviews that they were poor time managers and required a lot of direction from management about timely completion of tasks.

If you are routinely working off the clock, that needs to be addressed. What they have offered you as a solution has the potential to make a new set of problems.

Either figure out a way to be done on time and get the manager to approve that measure (like closing pharmacy 5-10 minutes earlier than store close) or request that time for closing procedures be built into your schedule.

It's a lose-lose situation, the bottom line is that it could be a lot worse than 1 hour a week.