Hours of Medical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the standard for medical medical experience? I heard 500 hours. Is this true or how many hours would medical schools like?

Members don't see this ad.

Enough that you can talk about why you want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
around 200 should be good, even for top 20. make sure you can speak about those experiences though

What constitutes medical experience? Is this like volunteering at an ER?

what is the standard for medical medical experience? I heard 500 hours. Is this true or how many hours would medical schools like?
Colorado likes to see 400-500, but it is an outlier. About 150 hours would be fine for most other schools, provided you're getting the interaction with patients that's needed, namely interacting with them in a helpful way.

Reactions: 1 user
Something about LizzyM's quote.

ER volunteering, so long as its more than stocking shelves (aka you get to talk to patients, talk to residents, listen in on rounds, transport patients to admitted floors/radiology, shadow procedures, help out in anyway you can during a trauma) is a great experience.

Colorado likes to see 400-500, but it is an outlier. About 150 hours would be fine for most other schools, provided you're getting the interaction with patients that's needed, namely interacting with them in a helpful way.

Hi @Catalystik, does University of Colorado only want to see medical/clinical volunteering that involves direct patient care or would hospital volunteering suffice in this regard? I do have some direct patient care from a free clinic where I get to take vitals but I will only likely have 150-170 hours with this. I do have more hospital volunteering though.

Quality over quantity. You need to be able to prove to adcoms that you enjoy (or at least tolerate) being around sick people and helping them. FWIW I had well under 200 hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi @Catalystik, does University of Colorado only want to see medical/clinical volunteering that involves direct patient care or would hospital volunteering suffice in this regard? I do have some direct patient care from a free clinic where I get to take vitals but I will only likely have 150-170 hours with this. I do have more hospital volunteering though.
It's my understanding that it is patient interaction they are looking for. Hospital volunteering to file charts in a back room is an example of a role that would fall outside that description.

My brain wasn't working today and am mad. I did bad on an exam and thought I could get an A in the course. I think I'm gonna end up with a B in the class. I'm disappointed because I put in more than 20 hours per week to get an A. My professor said this is what was needed to get an A.

Anyone ever go through a similar experience? I just wasn't with it and should have done much better than I actually did.

At least 100 hrs, >200 being very good.

Some of my advisees who have made it into top 20 schools have over 1000.
Can this include paid employment/internships?

Members don't see this ad :)

What is your source for this information? Specifically the 400-500 hours at Colorado.

What is your source for this information? Specifically the 400-500 hours at Colorado.
Their website used to specify 500 hours. Since the new dean started several years back, that specific number has been removed, but those applicants who called the admissions office in the last two seasons reportedly still got a response that 400-500 hours is a good goal. Admittedly, expectations can change as admins come and go, but a quick phone call could confirm if this is still continues to be true.

[And, no, I'm not an adcomm in Colorado.]

I think the more the better because it stands out and it is valuable. I have thousands of hours. However, I think the average would be a few hundred (it is really easy and quick to gain clinical experience if it is a paid job like an ER tech or scribe)

The dean for my professor who is the assistance dean of a medical college said 500 hours. That is really strange to me, he would say 500 hours of experience.

As LizzyM says, if you can smell the patient, then it's clinical experience. Medical schools start you at step one, so there is mo need to learn any specific skills as a pre-med. Never have I once felt at a disadvantage to fellow classmates that worked entry-level clinical jobs, such as EMT, CNA, scribe, or etc...

Hospital volunteering is the best bang for the buck period. You can make it into what you want. If you want to be a part of the "team," you can put forth a lot of effort and do so. If you want to sit around and do the bare minimum when asked, you can do the same. The down time can be spent studying, which can help your grades and MCAT. Also, you can often find physicians to shadow during your shifts, and therefore double dip the hours. At the end of the day, it will count for both clinical experience and volunteering. You can get all of this for only 3-4 hours once a week. What a deal!!! Over a few years the hours will add up, you can also piggyback non-clinical volunteering on top of this.

I am strongly against entry-level clinical jobs. Considering the commitment you put in, you won't stand out as much as you like. It can be difficult to juggle academics, the MCAT, and an entry-level clinical job all at the same time. I have seen numerous people fail to get into medical school, because these jobs ended up destroying their grades and MCAT. At this point, the experience won't help you get into medical school. In fact, because these people put all of their eggs in one basket without a backup plan, they are often stuck in these jobs for years. It's sad. Now before all the haters tell me about the amazing experiences they've had doing these jobs, let me say this... I'm not denying that you had plenty of meaningful experiences during this time, but as a future physician, you have an entire LIFETIME to experience these things! It's just not worth it at this time in your life.

And remember, your goal is to become a physician. Not to become a professional EMT, scribe, CNA, phlebotomist, or etc... Medical schools start you at the beginning, and if these jobs were crucial to succeeding as a medical student (and beyond), then they would be requirements (like for PA school).

I feel like I sold my clinical experiences short on my AMCAS :(

Someone please tell me that adcoms do do research into ECs, particularly hospital volunteering, to get a better idea of what sort of things the volunteering is exposed to in the program they're in...

I disagree about clinical jobs, granted that may just be because I have one. I used to work full time but now I literally work whenever I want. There is an app on my phone, I make my schedule, and work about once every two weeks. More on breaks. *it definitely doesn't affect school

As a Dr. there are a lot of things you don't have time to do. (Sit on the floor with a depressed patient for hours, teach someone who lost there leg how to walk again, spend quality time with the patients, etc.) These experiences bring out qualities in a person that can't be taught.

I do agree with you, however, that it can get in the way. I think the issue is students who take these jobs and commit to x hours a week because they need so much experience in a short amount of time. I had my certification before the end of high school so my perspective is not the same as a junior in college who just got theirs.

It is definitely not the only way to go!

Last edited:
As a Dr. there are a lot of things you don't have time to do. (Sit on the floor with a depressed patient for hours, teach someone who lost there leg how to walk again, spend quality time (shower time) with the patients, etc.)
:confused:

@Doctor Dream : That is the only time you get to 100% focus on them. You get to learn about their lives and talk with them to make them feel comfortable.

We all describe it as that. When you are taking care of twenty or more people that half an hour that you can provide your undivided attention to them is really when you get to know them.

I can understand how some would think of it in a creepy way so I removed it lol.

@Doctor Dream : That is the only time you get to 100% focus on them. You get to learn about their lives and talk with them to make them feel comfortable.

We all describe it as that. When you are taking care of twenty or more people that half an hour that you can provide your undivided attention to them is really when you get to know them.

I can understand how some would think of it in a creepy way so I removed it lol.
No no, I wasn't commenting on the idea of your post! I've worked as a CNA for over a year now and know exactly what you mean, and totally agree. I just thought your wording was a little awkward and funny.

Something about LizzyM's quote.

ER volunteering, so long as its more than stocking shelves (aka you get to talk to patients, talk to residents, listen in on rounds, transport patients to admitted floors/radiology, shadow procedures, help out in anyway you can during a trauma) is a great experience.

So basically anything that is as "hands on" as possible? Do you know how hard it is for volunteers to secure jobs working in the ER or other capacity? Thanks

At least 100 hrs, >200 being very good.

Some of my advisees who have made it into top 20 schools have over 1000.
Is 1000 hours really necessary? When do you approach diminishing returns?

Last edited:
Do you know how hard it is for volunteers to secure jobs working in the ER or other capacity? Thanks

I'm sure it varies by city and even by hospital. But my first resource would be to go to a teaching hospital in a large-to-big city. Generally they'll be more likely to let volunteers do more hands-on stuff since they'll usually be understaffed. If your school has its own med school and/or hospital, start there.

I'm sure it varies by city and even by hospital. But my first resource would be to go to a teaching hospital in a large-to-big city. Generally they'll be more likely to let volunteers do more hands-on stuff since they'll usually be understaffed. If your school has its own med school and/or hospital, start there.
pls stop following me man

Do you want to get into Wash U or Columbia?

I think 200+ hrs will set you apart from the cookie cutters who are merely checking the boxes in the list.
I have around 400 hours of hospital volunteering. Only 10 or so of shadowing, but I can probably get it up to over a 100. (it's not hard, just go in 8 hours a day each weekday over winter break).