Hours of shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciderbun96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new to the pre pod track and was wondering how many hours on average applicants shadow a podiatrist for? And how many hours would make you more competitive?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it doesn't take many hours. I've heard people throw around "shoot for about 20 hrs" . You'll need to get a podiatrist LOR, which would most likely take a few days of shadowing. I had around 50 hours because I did an internship with one of the schools. The more the better!

The number required to get in is minimal. The real question is - will you walk away from the shadowing understanding the profession better. People sometimes believe this profession is something that it isn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Yeah I definitely want to shadow enough that I get experience and know what it's like. I've also been to the podiatrist many times throughout my life and have had 2 foot surgeries (one done by a super cool sports medicine DPM).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I shadowed around 15 hours. I wanted to shadow more, but the podiatrist said that I saw pretty much everything a podiatrist does on a daily basis. Would've been cool if I was able to observe a surgery in the OR.