hours/week in residency vs. hours/wk in practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adismo

covered in moon dust
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda confused about this one,

Say for example, you are looking to get into the ER medicine cause of the great hours, but how are the hours/week in ER RESIDENCY? Or are they the same thing. What about Radiology, Surgery, Pediatrics?
I would imagine residency is work work work simply because of the amount of material they need to teach you. Am I right?

confuzzed premed

[This message has been edited by adismo (edited 05-02-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

You are wrong!

Residency is economically driven. The quantity of work stems from residents being cheap labor.

Because of the amount of material they need to teach you???
You are expected to know it by this point...which does not make much sense, but that is often the expectation.

I thought you really don't know anything until residency. That's where your training is done, therefoe why some residencies are so long and demanding. I don't think general surgery is 5 years working 100 hrs/wk because its just cheap labor. A surgeon can finish a residency only having the opportunity of doing an unusual procedure maybe once or twice. If surgical residency was shorter and the hours more reasonable, those training opportunies become even less. And this rational goes with any specialty.

I think I remember seeing something on medschool.com showing the hours during residency VS the hours in practice for each individual specialty.