Menu Icon Search
Close Search

Housing at SGU...

Discussion in 'Saint George's University (Sponsored Forum)' started by Robdude, 12.28.10.

1. Robdude

Robdude

SDN 2+ Year Member
    This might be off-topic; but has anyone purchased a home in Grenada? I was looking at some real-estate sites (http://www.remax-grenada.com) and was at least entertaining the idea of buying a place.

Is it much different from buying a home in the US? Do the majority of SGU students live 'on campus'?

2. Walsh1122

Walsh1122 SGU SVM 2013

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not sure what the details of buying a home in Grenada are. As far as students living on/off campus. Most vet students stay on campus their first term, a few more stay on second term, by third term most have moved off campus. There are some that decided to stay. Housing on campus is not guranteed so you need to enter a lottery every term. So some people feel that it is easier to just rent an apt off campus, that way you dont really have to worry about where you will be living the following term. Also it can be cheaper to live off campus, although you loose some luxuries such as 24/7 AC (electicity is way to expensive to run all the time). Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. anjabryn

anjabryn

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can students live off campus first term? If so did anyone know any that did?
    I will have to bring my animals and will need to bring them first term, which means I will have to have housing before I get there I think.
    I am not sure how people do it, who are not living on campus.

4. Jeff SGU

Jeff SGU New Member

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    if you are bringing pets we do allow you to live off campus your first semester. Once you are an accepted student we give you access to a website that list off campus housing, and I can always put you in touch with students living off campus as well.

5. freewheeler

freewheeler

Pre-Medical
    hi, i'm actually starting med school at SGU but i came across this thread during my online search for off-campus housing in St George. i'm coming down to Grenada with my cat, so i won't be living in the dorms. has anyone had any luck with apartment hunting online?

6. xbeccax

xbeccax

Pre-Medical
    Hi, i am going to sgu for their charter foundation program in august...my only friend down there is being difficult and wants to live on campus. I have a dog and can't...would you want to talk more about maybe trying to live together?

7. BarryBrian

BarryBrian

Pre-Medical
    I've just recently graduated from undergrad, and I have gone through the AMCAS application process and have not received any acceptances to any US Medical Schools. I have a high GPA (3.84) but scored not so well on the MCAT. I want to apply once again into the US schools, but I am leaning towards to applying at SGU. I am most likely retaking the MCAT but I am not sure if I am ready to take it again at this moment. I have technically already lost a year, since I didn't get in for this cycle (Aug 2011). I will be working at a hospital this summer and possibly the rest of the year. I'm not sure whether I should reapply with the same MCAT score to SGU or retake next year and apply again through AMCAS and lose another year. HELP PLEASE!

8. emeraldisleMD

emeraldisleMD

Pre-Medical
    Hi-I guess that would depend on your MCAT....without specifics, was it far below a 30?

9. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey,

If we are coming in August 2012 for veterinary school, I'm told we have to live on campus for one semester. Is there a specific style of dorm that veterinary students are required to live in or can we just sign up for our favorite styles and then hope we get it?

10. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey,

If we are coming in August 2012 for veterinary school, I'm told we have to live on campus for one semester. Is there a specific style of dorm that veterinary students are required to live in or can we just sign up for our favorite styles and then hope we get it?

11. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you dont technically have to live on campus, though it's probably a good idea. most students do and so its a good way to meet your classmates and socialize. unfortunately most 1st term housing is 2 people to a bedroom with a shared kitchenette and bathroom, but for 4 months its not too bad. you can also try for suite housing with 3 single bedrooms and a kitchenette/bathroom, it's just not a guarantee.

12. ianjw

ianjw

Pre-Veterinary
    Are there any pros to living in upper campus over lower campus? Cons? Visa Versa?

Thanks in advance.

13. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think I was told that lower campus would be closer to our classes first term... Although it's all not too far from eachother.

14. ianjw

ianjw

Pre-Veterinary
    Hmm, all I know is that I think the voltage is different in the outlets.

Just waitin to hear back in the next 2 weeks about my denial or acceptance so tryin to get some info in beforehand. :-D

15. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm pretty sure the lower campus dorms have outlets for both US and Grenadian plugs. However, I'm told they are limited in number per room. I'm told by current students that bringing extension cords is very useful. I don't think there are any outlets in the kitchens, so a long extension cord might be useful if you bring things like coffee machines, blenders, or George Forman grills... Each kitchen has a fridge, 2-coil stove top, and a microwave.

16. sbrdvm

sbrdvm SGU SVM c/o 2015!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You only have 2 US type plugs and they are under your desk...no plugs in the kitchen or bathroom so an extension cord is very useful for using other appliances in your kitchen

17. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    depends on your program, but most of the upper campus stuff is either undergrad or upperclassmen housing. you are most likely going to get a double with kitchenette on the lower campus (SD1, SD2). sometimes people luck into a suite 3 bedrooms. also usually on lower campus (6 of 7 dorms are down there). the difference between upper and lower campus? a big hill :laugh:

18. BadgerBookworm

BadgerBookworm

Pre-Veterinary
    So this is kinda related to housing and kinda not. Do you have to ship and fly with all of your things back and forth with every break? Do they have storage? Is it logical to leave your stuff in an apartment if you have one off campus?

19. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you have an apartment, it would make sense just to leave it there when visiting home. If you're living on campus, I'm told there's a storage for students to put all their stuff. I'm told though that the storage is limited and everyone's stuff is put all together so you should box and label all your stuff really clearly so it's not taken by another student by accident.

20. Walsh1122

Walsh1122 SGU SVM 2013

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You are also allowed to leave your belongings in the closet of your dorm room should you be returning to the same dorm room the following semester.

21. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    **over winter break

22. Walsh1122

Walsh1122 SGU SVM 2013

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

You can do it over summer break as well. I have done it on several occassions.

23. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    oh really? i was told multiple times that things could be left in rooms over winter break, but everything had to be out over the summer for painting and cleaning and such. i'll have to look into that!

24. jemappellejane

jemappellejane #stinkasaurus

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not sure if I'll be doing the vet foundation semester or not in the fall, but either way, how do they pick roommates? Same ol' survey type thing?

25. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you can either request to live with a specific person or you are just randomly assigned (can be vet, med, or foundations)

26. sazor2412

sazor2412

Veterinary Student
    Anyone hear of any off campus housing coming available beginning of Jan 2013? Advise on finding it?

27. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    there will be tons of off campus housing available for Jan (people mostly rent on a term by term basis and move around), but no advise on finding it before you get here :-/

28. semprefedele

semprefedele

Veterinary Student
    If you don't have anyone to request as a roomie (1st semester vet)... are you only placed with graduate level students? or could you be placed with an undergrad?

Also, if you're coming in to start in January.. is there a higher/lower chance of getting a single suite vs the double?

29. deg5030

deg5030 SGU c/o 2016 :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

If you don't suggest a roomie generally you get paired with another med or vet student. I think it is just a toss up as to who gets the double and who gets the triple (suite). I entered last january and a handful of us got one type or room and a handful got another. Some of us were paired with vet students and some were paired with med students. Doesn't appear to be a lot of rhyme or reason but my roomie situation worked out pretty well even in a double.

30. deg5030

deg5030 SGU c/o 2016 :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

The post (once you get your login for your email) is something you can check but the biggest thing is to make sure everything that is agreed upon is in writing. There is a few leasing companies which... exist but i can't say I have had the best experience. A few in my class (jan) lived off campus to start because they brought pets down and a few of us waited a semester to bring ours down. You can email housing and ask for their suggestions.

31. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you will only be placed with a graduate level student (so vet, med, or foundations for either) - undergrads get "special" housing of 2 to a room, 6 to a kitchenette :uhno:

as a vet student, i think i'm gonna have to be the bearer of bad news and say you are unlikely to get a suite based simply on being vet. we seem to get shafted, as most of the suite housing is taken up by med students. idk why. a few vet students get suite housing 1st term, but it's pretty uncommon, and it seems to be more common for students that were accepted sort of last minute (housing assignments were already done and the doubles were filled). not sure, just what i (think) see here.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal