About the ads

Housing in Houston

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by idiot, Feb 14, 2002.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. idiot

idiot Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Got the call from Dean Bradshaw last night.

Need some good advice on where to start looking for (safe) housing.
  2. TheThroat

TheThroat SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Don't you just love that Call? Congrats on your acceptance.
    Re: living in Houston:
    Many students live in Condoland, the huge mass of apartments south of the medical center. I lived in Parque View for 1.5 years, which was pretty cheap (around $700/mo) and somewhat safe (no robberies while I was there, at least). There are other, nicer apts south of medical center, not in Condoland, for $900 to $1200. There are also apartments scattered throughout the Museum District and West U. These apts might be a little more pricey, but may be slightly more safe. However, regarding safety, I would advise caution at night in the entire city of Houston. During my four years there, a Baylor professor and a Baylor student were murdered. Yeah, scary stuff.
  3. justin342

justin342 Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Just out of curiosity, what type of credentials did you have to get in there? That's one of the schools I'm applying for in '03.
  4. CRS

CRS Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    in case you want to buy...

<a href="http://www.har.com" target="_blank">www.har.com</a>

...and what call is it that you got idiot?
  5. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Congrats!

Like TheThroat mentioned, the majority of students probably live in Condoland and the surrounding areas -- the perks are that it is pretty cheap and on the bus line directly to the med center/close to the med center. It's not the world's safest area, the security at the complexes is pretty hit-and-miss (it varies a lot by complex). Personally, it's my least favorite area to live in, but if you don't care much about your surroundings and want a cheap place to live, this is probably the way to go.

You can get garage apts/studios in the West U/Rice Village/Southampton area for around $400-500. The regular apartments in this area usually go for around $900-1000, I think. If you share a place with someone, you could probably pay $500-700 per person, for a 2-bd. place. This is the area that I live in and I love it -- I feel very safe and it's close to good stores, restaurants, etc. Also, depending where you are in this neighborhood, you may be within walking distance to the med center, or at the very least, a decent bike-ride.

Upper Kirby/River Oaks is swanky and more expensive but pretty safe. Probably $800-1000 for a 1-bd.

Montrose is the funky/bohemian neighborhood. You can probably find a decent place here for $500-800. I've heard varying things about safety -- in all honesty it's probably on par with Condoland, but a much more interesting and fun neighborhood, IMHO.
  6. GS

GS Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hey congrats idiot!! We're going to be classmates!! I am looking to buy a condominium near the medical center and then selling it after I graduate. How easy is that, and where do students tend to do that?

Thanks,
    GS
  7. idiot

idiot Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    CRS,

Dr. Major Bradshaw, a Dean at BCM, routinely calls applicants to notify them of their acceptance. I actually didn't receive the call myself; my phone line has been down for about two days - so the Dean called my parents!
  8. idiot

idiot Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Big help, everybody - thanks for the input.
  9. CRS

CRS Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    oh i see idiot..from another thread and this one, I gather that you had Houston #1 and Southwestern #2. Got accepted to Southwestern (quite an accomplishment there, especially with it not ranked #1!) and quickly got off of Houston's waitlist. Well, congrats (even if my guess is off). I'm Houston-bound myself, so I hope to meet you and GS sometime or another. A Welcome Weekend seems to be in the works for April 12-13.
  10. idiot

idiot Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I ranked UTSW #1; Dr. Bradshaw is a dean at Baylor.
  11. CRS

CRS Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    ah shoot. thought i had it figured. i forgot the private school in houston! congrats!
  12. james72681

james72681 Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    you can live at favrot, which is the housing for all medical center people....there are large and small efficiencies, one bedroom, and three-person shared appt. Rent runs from 400/each for 3 person to 710 for 1 bedroom. Good thing is that it is literally a 3 minute walk to Baylor. Bad thing is that its not too classy
  13. PMPMD

PMPMD 4G MD

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 10+ Year Member
    Find a place with a good neighborhood bar... some of the UTH students I hung out with the night before my interview lived down the street from this awesome place.