How about a good ol' fashioned "what are my chances" thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a question I was hoping some of you more experienced folks could answer for me.
I'll be applying for 2015/16 and I should be pretty competitive for top 10 programs. That being said, I am an MD/MBA and have been doing a fair amount of medical consulting work, etc. Some classmates/mentors had mentioned top programs might look at this as a potential negative and may worry that I will leave medicine for business at some point. I know some of the surgical sub-specialties really look down on MD/MBA applicants. Is there any merit to this in rad onc? Should I leave that stuff off my app to be safe?
I know a few md/mba grads in practice. I don't think it should be an issue.

Might be helpful in pp

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine but there's no way to keep the fact that you'e an MD/MBA off of your app anyways. At the very least it will be in your Dean's Letter. and if you did your MBA during medical school you would have to explain that time also.

But you wouldn't want to hide it anyway - it may raise an eyebrow of some reviewers but it will also help you in some places.

I know a few md/mba grads in practice. I don't think it should be an issue.

Might be helpful in pp

Okay that's good news. I know a few in practice but they all got their MBAs after residency. I had just heard that the academic places (i.e. top ranked programs) have a natural preference for academic candidates and the MBA seems less academic and more PP, like you alluded to.

You should be fine but there's no way to keep the fact that you'e an MD/MBA off of your app anyways. At the very least it will be in your Dean's Letter. and if you did your MBA during medical school you would have to explain that time also.

But you wouldn't want to hide it anyway - it may raise an eyebrow of some reviewers but it will also help you in some places.

Sorry, I should have clarified better. I was asking if I should keep the MBA related experiences off my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to get some input if this thread is still semi-active.

Name brand school. Honors with the exception of Surgery.
A first author case report plus a first author abstract, both related to rad onc.
No ECs to speak of. No volunteering, group leadership, or awards.
250+ on both Step 1 and 2 CK, passed CS of course.

As you might pick up, I'm weak on research and curious about how much of a liability it really presents.

I'd love to get some input if this thread is still semi-active.

Name brand school. Honors with the exception of Surgery.
A first author case report plus a first author abstract, both related to rad onc.
No ECs to speak of. No volunteering, group leadership, or awards.
250+ on both Step 1 and 2 CK, passed CS of course.

As you might pick up, I'm weak on research and curious about how much of a liability it really presents.

You probably won't get interviews at MDACC/MSKCC/Harvard without aways (and even with one it might be hard), and you'll probably only sporadically get interviews from the top 15-20, but you'll match for sure with a few aways and strong letters. If you're gung ho on a specific particularly competitive area (Boston, NYC, SF, etc), I'd say so a year out, but if you're okay going to an excellent program that maybe isn't in a "hot" place to live (Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, various college towns throughout the country), and you are flexible with where you want to end up, I think you'll do very well with interviews and in the match (even more so if you get AOA). The research you have I feel isn't that far removed from the average applicant (who, unless they have a PhD or a year out, probably has done that + a small retrospective study) and your grades and Step scores are more than adequate.

I am a few months into my clerkships and am in the beginning of my third year. I am fairly interested in RadOnc but am curious about my chances.

Top 25 school if you give any weight to rankings.
~250 on Step1. Will take Step2 next year.
Clerkships - All As so far and evaluations marked as superior (top 20%) or better.
Conversation points: Decent volunteering and some neat ECs (Qbank revision author, contest poetry team for a nationally recognized medical humanities journal, IM sports)
Research: 4 second author pubs in cancer research during a year-long fellowship at the NCI before med school. One first author pub in neurosurgery. I think I have time to get in touch with faculty and start doing some RadOnc research which I know I definitely need.

I would like to go somewhere located in one of the mid-atlantic states for residency. But, I am open to a different location if I like the city.

Other than research, how can I improve my application for RadOnc? Secondly, any advice on how to introduce myself to faculty? I am thinking of writing an formal email to the chair and then dropping by to personally introduce myself.

I am a few months into my clerkships and am in the beginning of my third year. I am fairly interested in RadOnc but am curious about my chances.

Top 25 school if you give any weight to rankings.
~250 on Step1. Will take Step2 next year.
Clerkships - All As so far and evaluations marked as superior (top 20%) or better.
Conversation points: Decent volunteering and some neat ECs (Qbank revision author, contest poetry team for a nationally recognized medical humanities journal, IM sports)
Research: 4 second author pubs in cancer research during a year-long fellowship at the NCI before med school. One first author pub in neurosurgery. I think I have time to get in touch with faculty and start doing some RadOnc research which I know I definitely need.

I would like to go somewhere located in one of the mid-atlantic states for residency. But, I am open to a different location if I like the city.

Other than research, how can I improve my application for RadOnc? Secondly, any advice on how to introduce myself to faculty? I am thinking of writing an formal email to the chair and then dropping by to personally introduce myself.

If you want to match in a specific geographic location, then rotating at at least one department in that area can do nothing but help. You've got a number of very good programs (depending upon exactly what you would consider mid-atlantic), ranging from Maryland, Hopkins, VCU, or even UNC/Duke/Wake a little further south. Pick a couple of places you think you may be interested in and start working on scheduling away rotations.

If you want to match in a specific geographic location, then rotating at at least one department in that area can do nothing but help. You've got a number of very good programs (depending upon exactly what you would consider mid-atlantic), ranging from Maryland, Hopkins, VCU, or even UNC/Duke/Wake a little further south. Pick a couple of places you think you may be interested in and start working on scheduling away rotations.

How critical are away rotations in this field and how many does the average applicant do?

How critical are away rotations in this field and how many does the average applicant do?

Your scores/research are average for the field so doing aways will be critical for you. 3 aways on average.

Your scores/research are average for the field so doing aways will be critical for you. 3 aways on average.

Are you saying aways are critical in general for applicants with his stats, or critical given that he has a specific geographic preference? It's hard to believe that without aways he would risk not matching with a 250, good clerkship grades, and average research.

Are you saying aways are critical in general for applicants with his stats, or critical given that he has a specific geographic preference? It's hard to believe that without aways he would risk not matching with a 250, good clerkship grades, and average research.

Aways are critical for matching with his stats. It may be hard to believe, but I know from personal experience with being involved with resident selection and finding out who tends to not have matched once the match results come out. 250s are not exceptional, and his research isn't in radiation.

Would agree with mpdoc2 - though I'd say it's more like 3 total rotations is key, your home + 2 aways. I think the aways are crucial not only for matching (good letters from outside your home institution are really helpful) but also in terms of making a decision regarding your rank list it really helps to see what other places do and how the residents react to that.

As for introducing yourself to the department - the program director (assuming you have a home program) may be more fruitful than the chair.

Would agree with mpdoc2 - though I'd say it's more like 3 total rotations is key, your home + 2 aways. ... ... As for introducing yourself to the department - the program director (assuming you have a home program) may be more fruitful than the chair.

Agree, 2 aways plus your home rotation is think is enough. If your interested setup a home rotation now and start working on a rad on project though your home dept. Then can also try to work on a small project though an away institution, which may be easier if it close by.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical student here beginning M3 here who has been interested in rad onc since I started M2 year. This is more of a "what else should I do to maximize my application" post.

Some stats (not MD/PhD):
- Projected 260+ Step 1 score (based on practice exams; will receive on July 8th)
- Top quartile at some random state school with no home rad onc program
- abstract/poster presentation at AACR (1st author); 2 abstracts accepted at SNO and ARS (both 2nd author); 2 other abstracts at regional conferences
- 1 manuscript in preparation which we're planning to submit to clinical cancer research (translational rad onc project; 1st author) and another potential manuscript that I've also been working on that may/may not get published (it's a clinical rad onc project; 1st author as well)
- 2 national research awards (<$5000 each) and no clue if I'm going to be AOA or not

So currently I'm going to try and do my best to finish up these manuscripts and also try and honor as many rotations as I can during 3rd year. My question is in regards to landing an academic position at a research-heavy institution. I'm interested in doing research in my career and would like to be at a place that has good funding for research. I'm currently at a no-named state institution that has very poor research funding (primary care oriented school), so what would I have to do to maximize my chances at matching at one of these locations (besides honors in M3 + letters). I'm also looking to do aways and would like to know how many I should do. Based on reading these forums, the consensus seems to be around 2-3, but my M3 year ends mid-June so would that be enough time to do 3 aways and still be able to get a LOR that I can submit in time for ERAS (particularly for my last away, which would end in late September right?). Also, when should I take Step 2 (assuming my Step 1 score is as predicted); again reading these forums, it seems to best take it during the winter AFTER ERAS has been submitted. I'm debating between this option or using the last 2 weeks of June AFTER 3rd year to go ahead and knock it out and take it so that I wouldn't have to worry about it during interview season. What do you guys think? Sorry for such the long post.

Last edited:
You've got a pretty killer looking app lined up, but still a lot of loose pieces. Step score is obviously key and you'll probably be close to your projected scores (I and most everyone I knew was). An AACR poster is really solid - I'd work hard to get the manuscript submitted ASAP, especially if you're planning on sending it first to any sort of medium-to-high impact journal where you might get rejected. In submitting papers, I've quickly realized just how long the process can take from "finalized" manuscript to accepted paper (and really anything other than accepted you probably shouldn't put on your app).

You could alleviate this by taking a year out, which if you are really into basic/translational research might be a solid idea, especially if you could pull an HHMI grant or some other major year-out funding source at a big-name institution where you can meet some people in the department and be treated more like a "home" student come application time. Is this necessary? I'm not really sure and no one can say for sure. The number of programs that truly support basic science research is small (see the many discussions on the Holman pathway on this forum), and I think even without a year out, you'd probably be able to match at one of them (though maybe not MSKCC/HROP/MDACC).

I think a total of 3 rotations is reasonable, and you could probably survive with 2 (aways are very expensive) and a "home" rotation at some sort of local private practice if your school offers that. It might even be a great way to get your feet wet. I'd do one at one of the big 3 if you are really set on that and the rest at other solid programs that at least support Holman residents (which is probably the best proxy of strong departmental research support that you'll be able to find pre-interview). You can find those programs elsewhere on SDN.

As for Step 2, take CS ASAP because it's absurdly annoying and if you are in the random 5% that fails you want time to take it again and take CK whenever, it really doesn't matter at all. You could either take it in June, especially if you end on Medicine or Surgery and a lot of that info is still fresh or take it as late as your school allows.

Reactions: 1 user
Aways are critical for matching with his stats. It may be hard to believe, but I know from personal experience with being involved with resident selection and finding out who tends to not have matched once the match results come out. 250s are not exceptional, and his research isn't in radiation.

250 may not be exceptional, but in 2014 someone with that score still had like a ~93% chance of matching.

Last edited:
I had a pretty similar application. Your partner will likely match. The answer for you is the same as it is for everyone else: apply broadly, around 40 programs +/- 10, and see where you get interviews.

Sorry but applying to 40 programs is nowhere near broadly.

For a relatively well qualified MD/PhD applying to every or nearly every program with a solid academic component, I think that's a reasonable number. There are only ~80 programs with positions available in any given year. Should every applicant apply to every program?

This is a related question to this thread. Does quantity or quality matter more for publications? Is having 1 or 2 excellent publications in a prestigious journal such as IJRO better or if one was to have 6 good or decent abstracts or publications?

For a relatively well qualified MD/PhD applying to every or nearly every program with a solid academic component, I think that's a reasonable number. There are only ~80 programs with positions available in any given year. Should every applicant apply to every program?
Nope. Hate to say it but not everyone should waste their $$ on applying to MDACC, Harvard or MSK. In the same vein, probably no reason for that MD/PhD to apply to Kansas, Kentucky or iowa

This is a related question to this thread. Does quantity or quality matter more for publications? Is having 1 or 2 excellent publications in a prestigious journal such as IJRO better or if one was to have 6 good or decent abstracts or publications?

I hear this a lot, and my response (at least internally) is always: "Why is it either or?" But let's assume this isn't a false dichotomy, and the real answer is that both are important. If you have a single big paper (like Red Journal or higher) as a med student, that's great, and will stand out. If you don't, but you have like four papers, that's also great because it shows you know how to write.

Nope. Hate to say it but not everyone should waste their $$ on applying to MDACC, Harvard or MSK. In the same vein, probably no reason for that MD/PhD to apply to Kansas, Kentucky or iowa

Definitely this. It's strange how this place has catered to both the extreme fear-mongering AND the overly optimistic ends of the spectrum. If you have a good, solid application (which dillonlights appears to have), then it is definitely a waste of money to apply to all the low-tier programs. Conversely, the straight MD applicant from a middle of the road school and <240-250 on step 1 is wasting their time with the elite tier, unless they have some kind of first author NEJM paper or something.

I hear this a lot, and my response (at least internally) is always: "Why is it either or?" But let's assume this isn't a false dichotomy, and the real answer is that both are important. If you have a single big paper (like Red Journal or higher) as a med student, that's great, and will stand out. If you don't, but you have like four papers, that's also great because it shows you know how to write.

In my inexperienced eyes, it is a dichotomy because of the limiting factor of time. Thank you for entertaining this notion. (=

Have to agree with neuronix and gator. Applying to half the residencies in country is applying broadly no matter how you slice it. It's also completely needless for someone of this caliber to do more, or maybe even that much. Unless they are a complete ass they are going to match and match well. I had very similar numbers to this person and applied to 20 programs (most of the research heavy ones and a couple mid tiers), got interviews at all but 3-4 and matched at my top choice.

The amount of application fear mongering on this site can be nauseating. Someone that is super competitive really only needs to be stressed if they feel it is their calling to be at 1 or 2 of the most elite programs. Otherwise they can and should own the fact they are in really good shape.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about straight up MDs who look like everyone else around them, which is to say really impressive in just about every way for a senior med student. It is a competitive match and you need to stand out somehow or make up for it by applying broadly.

I am a complete ass, so grain of salt applies to the following.

I didn't do as well as ramsesthenice described, and I don't know what separated our applications. I applied to 30 programs initially and ended up adding another 16 after only getting one interview early while a lot of other people were accumulating numerous interviews. I ended up with 15 interviews total out of 46, only 13 of which I could actually go on given scheduling conflicts. As always, your mileage may vary, but only applying to 20 programs would be scary to me based on my anecdotal experience.

I am a complete ass, so grain of salt applies to the following.

Neuronix, you may be an ass on some level (lord knows I am) but thats not what I am talking about. I am talking about those people that after 5 min in a room with them you are ready to personally take them to the airport to spare everyone that means anything to you 20 min of their life that they can't ever get back. Those people that are just unbearable to be around. Every now and then a superstar comes through that goes unmatched because they are just so uninteresting or irritating and no amount of applying is going to make up for that. We have all know at least a couple of "that guy."

To clarify, I wasn't using my post to advocate anyone apply to 20 programs. I'm certain the difference in our experience was connections. I had really good ones and basically did exactly what I was told to do. My experience was not typical. Quite the opposite, I was trying to agree with you :) For really good applicants 30-40ish really is quite broad and should be more than sufficient. I don't think really qualified applicants benefit in any way by applying to every program. Just makes no sense to me.

Iowa is supposed to have basic science opportunities and people on Holman. Kansas has made dramatic improvements and growth under the leadership of Dr. Kumar.

I am of the school of thought that people should apply to 40+ programs and if you can spare a few extra hundred apply to all. It really isn't that much of a waste of money, IMO. Interviews are very hit or miss and many times there is no explanation of why you did or did not get an interview; nothing is guaranteed. I can tell you that I got most of my interviews outside of my geographic region, a good amount in highly competitive areas based on location. I applied much broader than suggested by you. I was waitlisted at a bunch of places. I even got an interview in a highly desired program which I was not able to attend, one that many would have said "don't bother". >240 too.

Hey everyone, I'm a long-time lurker first-time poster. My stats aren't as great as other who I've spoken to, but I'd like your opinions.

3rd Year MD/MBA student at a state school without a residency program.
Step 1 high 230's (a bit disappointing compared to practice exams).
Probably not AOA.
2 publications (one big project in business/QI and another in GI Satiety) plus hopefully 3-4 more 2nd authors from a research elective and local cancer research.
Stronger volunteering, leadership, extracurriculars, and letters.

Obviously I'm not as competitive for top tier programs, and I might have to take an extra year to build more research, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, I'm a long-time lurker first-time poster. My stats aren't as great as other who I've spoken to, but I'd like your opinions.

3rd Year MD/MBA student at a state school without a residency program.
Step 1 high 230's (a bit disappointing compared to practice exams).
Probably not AOA.
2 publications (one big project in business/QI and another in GI Satiety) plus hopefully 3-4 more 2nd authors from a research elective and local cancer research.
Stronger volunteering, leadership, extracurriculars, and letters.

Obviously I'm not as competitive for top tier programs, and I might have to take an extra year to build more research, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your stats alone are not bad. I like to think your chances are pretty good though it's always hard to say. Obviously, your MBA makes you fairly unique and I think you should really use that. Why should people care about your MBA? How will that make you a unique and interesting graduate of their program? What are your long-term goals? We don't talk about the personal statement that often but it's really important, especially for people like you with good but not great numbers. You have an opportunity to tweak some interest. Use it.

Haha... Even though Charting Outcomes says most successful applicants aren't MD/PhDs, seeing sentiments like "so does everyone else in this field" terrifies me. At any rate, have you looked at that?

The last time I posted in one of these SDN "what are my chances" threads was back in 2007 as a pre-med, time to kick up the nostalgia:

MD/PhD at a mid-tier school
260+ Step 1
Junior AOA
PhD in Radiation Biology with 10+ publications (9 papers, 3 first author, several published AACR/Red Journal abstracts)
1-3 more papers on the way (at least two should be first author)
NCI F30 Fellowship
50/50 Honors/High Pass during M3 (my school grades hard, this still puts me in the top 25%)
Strong cancer/radiation-related philanthropy and leadership activities

As far as I understand I have a fairly strong application, but so does everyone else in this field. I was thinking about applying to ~35 programs, does that seem reasonable? I really miss having something like the MSAR to go off of, I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here.

Dude if you don't have a chance, I don't know who would!

Reactions: 3 users
The last time I posted in one of these SDN "what are my chances" threads was back in 2007 as a pre-med, time to kick up the nostalgia:

MD/PhD at a mid-tier school
260+ Step 1
Junior AOA
PhD in Radiation Biology with 10+ publications (9 papers, 3 first author, several published AACR/Red Journal abstracts)
1-3 more papers on the way (at least two should be first author)
NCI F30 Fellowship
50/50 Honors/High Pass during M3 (my school grades hard, this still puts me in the top 25%)
Strong cancer/radiation-related philanthropy and leadership activities

As far as I understand I have a fairly strong application, but so does everyone else in this field. I was thinking about applying to ~35 programs, does that seem reasonable? I really miss having something like the MSAR to go off of, I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here.

I dunno how much more marginally competitive you can get. Maybe don a mask at night and fight crime in a city rife with corruption?

Reactions: 1 users
Hahahaha well that would give me something super interesting to write in the "Hobbies and Interests" part of ERAS.

"It says here you...fight crime? In a costume?"
"Correct, I deliver justice. I AM THE LAW."

I had a pretty similar application. Your partner will likely match. The answer for you is the same as it is for everyone else: apply broadly, around 40 programs +/- 10, and see where you get interviews.
Thanks for taking the time to respond - your reply, and the discussion it generated with @ramsesthenice , @MegaVoltagePhoton , @medgator , etc., were instructive and somewhat reassuring for a newbie outsider like me. I know my partner is planning to apply broadly - 40-50 programs - and I'm hoping that results in a good match. Both aways rotations went wonderfully. All best, Dillon.

Hey everyone, so I'm an MS4 now applying this cycle and just wanted to get some input about my chances (just to put my mind at ease...or not).

I only heard about rad onc early in 4th year and I didn't have time to schedule aways, but did an elective at my home institution and got 2 rec letters from docs with some name recognition

MD at a 3rd tier school
255+ Step 1
Junior AOA
2 posters and 1 oral presentation (related to volunteer project I worked on) . No journal publications. Worked hard on 2 basic science projects but no publications yet (maybe 1 later this year). Now working on retrospective cancer paper related to rad onc
2 B's and rest A's during 3rd year
Strong philanthropy and leadership activities
applying broadly throughout the country
Engineering undergrad degree (does that make a difference?)

Your input is appreciated!

Hey guys, I'm a couple months into my MS3 year. What are my chances?

MD at a 3rd tier school with no home rad/onc program
250+ Step 1
Conduct research at a top 5 institution
1 first author rad/onc retrospective manuscript in submission, 1 poster at ASTRO this year
Currently working on a retrospective proton project (will most likely publish), a rad/onc case report and a rad/onc editorial.
Decent leadership, lots of tutoring and mentoring (for which I received an award for)
I'll receive a strong LoR from my research mentor (assistant professor, chief of a section), and potentially another person from the same institution.

I'm eagerly attempting to conduct as much research as I can right now.
My biggest concern is my no-reputation med school. I know that I won't match at HROP,MSKCC, MDACC, or even top tier programs for that matter.
Obviously the goal is to match at the best possible program, but I'd be happy with a strong clinical mid-tier program.
My school allows for 4 to 5 away rotations. A dilemma I have is figuring out what kind of programs I should do my aways (mid-tiers that interview people who rotate there vs. aways for LoRs)?
I do have a few geographical restrictions (but not necessarily one city)
I'm in a long distance relationship with my fiance, and finding a residency where she has a good job market is also a consideration.
I have heard about people "branding" themselves for certain programs/locations (ex. NYC residents for NYC programs). Will programs frown upon me branding myself due to certain ties (such as my fiance's job market) and dedication to practice in certain areas?

First of all, will I even match?
Second, what are your guys thoughts of my restrictions?

Thanks for the help!

Hi all, I'm coming to the end of my MS3 year and trying to figure out what programs I should set my eyes on. I think, overall, I feel like I took a step backwards with my Step 1 score and am worried that will be prohibitive in the application process. Additionally, when thinking about aways, I'm was hoping to get some advice. I've thought about aways at top-tier programs (i.e. MSKCC), but don't know if it's worth my while if these programs will ultimately be out of reach for residency. Here's what I've got so far:

MD at top 10 school
239 Step 1, will be taking Step 2 before applying
Likely not AOA
Pre-Clinical: All honors
Clerkship: Honors in Medicine, Surgery, Neurology, and Emergency. High pass in everything else.
Publications: 1st author (Tumor immunology), 1st author (Rad onc), 2-3 contributing author publications in smattering of other subjects, AACR abstract
Leadership: clinic coordinator for one of school's best established free clinics now serving as emeritus/mentor; involved in medical education initiatives at the school
Year Out: Will be working amongst clinical trials in Rad Onc department of home institution, aiming for a few papers/presentations during this year
LoR: Hoping for strong LoR from two research mentors in the department, then from attendings I've worked with on medicine rotations

Hi all, I'm coming to the end of my MS3 year and trying to figure out what programs I should set my eyes on. I think, overall, I feel like I took a step backwards with my Step 1 score and am worried that will be prohibitive in the application process. Additionally, when thinking about aways, I'm was hoping to get some advice. I've thought about aways at top-tier programs (i.e. MSKCC), but don't know if it's worth my while if these programs will ultimately be out of reach for residency. Here's what I've got so far:

MD at top 10 school
239 Step 1, will be taking Step 2 before applying
Likely not AOA
Pre-Clinical: All honors
Clerkship: Honors in Medicine, Surgery, Neurology, and Emergency. High pass in everything else.
Publications: 1st author (Tumor immunology), 1st author (Rad onc), 2-3 contributing author publications in smattering of other subjects, AACR abstract
Leadership: clinic coordinator for one of school's best established free clinics now serving as emeritus/mentor; involved in medical education initiatives at the school
Year Out: Will be working amongst clinical trials in Rad Onc department of home institution, aiming for a few papers/presentations during this year
LoR: Hoping for strong LoR from two research mentors in the department, then from attendings I've worked with on medicine rotations

I don't think any of the programs are off limits. Its now about connections. It's arguable as to whether or not you should devote time to doing well on step 2 before apps are in, but obviously it's necessary if a program requires it. I think your main objective should be shoring up research and doing aways at places you'd like to be/can get a good letter from. You should probably consider passing on rec letters from people outside the field. It's a small enough field that many of the letter readers will know well, and trust, the letter writers...

Reactions: 1 users
OK, reading this thread is a bit depressing... My stats are far from stellar, but I hope to bring a unique background.
-MD/PhD + MBA
-240 step 1, step 2 in August (done with CS, likely passed but I don't know)
-Not AOA, likely Q2/Q3 of top 20 school, but GHHS member (not sure it counts at all).
-Strong research 16 pubs including in Science and Nature (lost count of talks and posters, so I likely won't even list them). Currently 1 onco case report in review, working on a second one (radonc specifi). My research is not radonc specific unfortunately.
-1 drug patent, also won several international innovation awards (physics methods applied to ophtalmo, infectious diseases and cosmetology)
- started 2 companies, one of which is still active and is handling grant submission analysis at the NIH.
-Will get super good letters (hopefully)
-During school: Zero extracurricular or leadership roles. I worked during year 1 and 2, and have 2 kiddos. My grades were As in year 1, B+ in year 2 and 3.
-My advisor thinks my background is a good fit (I hope he is right).

I plan to do only 1 radonc away, and 1 at home school during 4th. Home school will likely be first choice, and it is a top 25 or top 30 program. I will try to do a "big away" with little intent/hope to get in there (namely MDACC, Harvard, Yale etc...). For family reasons (house, wife with job, kiddos in good school), I would likely still rank my home school over many of the big names, granted that my chances in a top notch program remain low. So I want to play the game right. For the record, I don't mind places like Kansas. Not my top choice, but to pursue RadOnc, I would go in a heartbeat. Long term: academy, and I do plan to revolutionize the field :)D, but this is a discussion for another topic).

Thanks for any input

Hi guys, new WAMC post.

1st/2nd yr grades: all HP except for 1 H and 2 P.
step 1: 239
3rd year grades: unfortunately, looking to be: IM-P, Neuro - HP, Psych - HP, Surgery - P, OB/GYN - HP, Peds - H
Research: 2 pubs - 1 derm review article, another a rheumatology chart review. 2 other research experiences that did not result in publication.
EC involvement: effectively none.

Honestly...I think I'm in the bottom half of the class

I realllly reallly want to go into Rad Onc though. Is there any way you think my app could be salvaged to match into it? Or at this point have I passed the event horizon of not being able to match Rad Onc?

Thanks!

Muhali. I think you can match but you need to do aways (3) and apply broadly ( all programs if you can). Your step and grades are fine to match. The big problem is your research. Derm and rheum research is not the best thing. Try to do something onc related even if it is sure onc or like heme onc. You have to show interest in cancer patients.

redoit all. as i read your post I was trying to figure it out if you were trolling or not but you have an amazing application. I would not even do an away at MD anderson. They will very likely interview you with a Nature and a Science publication to your name. Do aways in places where you want to live. If you want to stay in your home program or in your area, pick those places and make it known to them you are staying.

redoit all. as i read your post I was trying to figure it out if you were trolling or not .

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it. No, if I were trolling, I would probably have a 272 step 1, AOA and be top of my class!
My home program would be my top choice, I'd sign right away. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in this world. I hope to stay in Texas, and MDACC surely would be an option, but I don't count much on it. If it were up to me, I'd rather not do aways, leaving 2 kiddos and wife for a month is no easy business (not to mention the cost and the headache of setting it up). I do think the aways are very much worth it though. We'll see.
Thanks again thecarbonionangle

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it. No, if I were trolling, I would probably have a 272 step 1, AOA and be top of my class!
My home program would be my top choice, I'd sign right away. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in this world. I hope to stay in Texas, and MDACC surely would be an option, but I don't count much on it. If it were up to me, I'd rather not do aways, leaving 2 kiddos and wife for a month is no easy business (not to mention the cost and the headache of setting it up). I do think the aways are very much worth it though. We'll see.
Thanks again thecarbonionangle

I think it's safe to say you're going to match but the big question is where? Unlike many fields, location is much of a bigger issue in rad onc (more for residency but also for permanent jobs) and that limitation may be your greatest weakness.

In regards to your stats: Let's just say a lot of PD's will be sending you love letters!