How about a little Excitement!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlw237

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading over some of the threads lately and just have to put my head down in sadness. I understand that the debt we accrue, the listlessness of some seasoned therapists, poor clinical experiences, mind numbing observation hours, salary expectations and the potential of working long hours in your own private clinic can all be encumbering thoughts. However, we are the new faces of physical therapy. The DPT has only recently come into effect, and we need to become excited about it and really take off with it. Some of us did not even start our DPT programs yet, and our minds are about to explode from all this negativity. I feel burnt out already haha. I'm beyond excited about starting school in the fall, but I too fall victim to these worries as well.

Debt: We will all have debt. My parents, god knows I love them, are zero help to me financially. I self finance everything, and it stinks, but it allowed me to gain appreciation of how far a dollar can go, and how one can live frugally, while still enjoying themselves. All I know is I will have 130K-150K (Undergrad and PT school) in debt, and I'm not going to let that stop me from following my dreams. Pay it off in 5, 10, 15, 20 years... who knows. Lets just focus on getting the degree first and stop wishing our lives away. It's not like we can do anything about it now =0).

Therapists in Autopilot: I understand 100% where everyone is coming from when they get all jacked up about a listless, burnt out therapist that just go through the motions. However, this is in every profession; You have over achievers, underachievers and everyone else falls in between. I've worked in restaurants were a 50 year old making 6 bucks an hour worked their butt off, because they took pride in what they did. I've witnessed coworkers hiding in trees, so they didn't have to cut grass at the cemetery on hot summer days. I've seen registered nurses walk into a patients room and walk right out, getting a nurses aide to clean up the patients mess. In PT, I know a therapist who can care less, and struggles to get a TKR to flex past 95degress 2 months post op, and I know a therapist who worked vigorously to get a spina bif pt to walk again after 22 years (which she accomplished). If this behavior upsets you, take pride in what you do. It's not WORK if you love what you do. Plus your boss will take notice of your decision making, hard work, going above and beyond patient care.

Bad experiences: There is no such thing as a bad learning experience, but there is a such thing as bad experiences in general. If someone or something is performing below average, test yourself in deciding what you would do to improve the situation. What would u do to treat the patient, how would you communicate with them, how can u make those monotonous exercises fun. Get patient input and see what they would like to do. I had a guy who changes light bulbs for a living, hurt his back. So, instead of doing step-ups 3x10. I had him step up and reach for a make shift light socket we made. Lets them get excited about their treatment. Also, you never know whats going on outside of work with these therapists. Sometimes their hearts not in it due to family illness, domestic or drug abuse, children issues, finances, ect ect ect. Lou Holtz haha said it best "Never speak to anyone about your problems outside your home, because 20% don't care at all, and 80% are glad you have them."

Salary: Money, money, money: Why do we work? Money, why do we go to school? to make money, what do we need for life's necessities? money. what do we need to retire? money haha. Ahh my head spins wondering will I start out at 55k, 65K, 70K or what. Makes a big difference when paying off loans. Right now I'm working almost 65hrs/week @ 8.50/hr to keep up on rent, bills, gas, car repairs, phone. Its crazy. So no matter what I make after I get my degree, will be 100x better then what I am making now. People want what are called sinecures... High paying jobs with little or no work. People will complain till their blue in the teeth, but don't want to put the time in. I'll take 55hr work weeks any day, if it means owning my own private clinic and not worrying what I would do if my water heater or furnace broke in the middle of winter. Everyone pities the week, but jealousy you have to earn. In pt there is so much room for growth, and it is constantly flourishing, so why not grow with it.

Sorry to everyone for the long post, All I know is in life all we do is stress, worry, and wish it away. Questioning every move we make, while others comment on our decisions. I'm just excited to start my new chapter and want others to join me. I'm glad I took a year off after undergrad, because I had a chance to realize how good we have it as students, as kids. Life is like Christmas... You don't know what your going to get.

Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo! That was a great post young man. I don't know how old you are, but if you keep that attitude you will absolutely be successful

You touched on what I have noticed about these forums.....The forums seem to get you excited at first, then slowly start dragging you down because of all the "what if" posts. I have viewed almost every section in SDN and it happens in almost every section.

Again, great post, and I wish you well.

Whoohoo! Thank you for this post. I have been thinking the exact same thing. I will be starting my program in January and I am so excited. Personally, I am glad it will now be a DPT and am disheartened that most others are not as accepting. The field can't move forward if we are not willing to do so as well. I am very excited about the field and will not let these things bother me as they are not factors in why I want to be a PT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be next in line to say "Kudos!" to your post. I think that since we are finally finished up with undergrad/pre-req's, we are finally able to think about more than gaining acceptance to a program, and with that comes all of the fears. But you're right, let's keep everything in a positive perspective and be joyful/thankful for the journey we're about to embark on.

I felt the same way. When I first came here I got really excited because I seen a bunch of people with similar ambitions and it motivated me. Then I noticed people talking about potential debt and the amount of work and time these programs require. However when I think about the potential future I could have doing something that I know I would enjoy the self doubt and negative feelings go away. If they remain just think of them as an investment to get to where you want to be in life.

Put a smile on my face. Extremely well said best of luck to you.

Thank you and well said! I too am so sick of all the whining and negativity. It has been so out of control for awhile now, I was going to stop participating in this forum. Glad to see others feel similarly! Good luck to you and to us all!

I think this dog sums up the emotional ups and downs that is SDN.

[YOUTUBE]Mb-x8z5tDNc[/YOUTUBE]

Yay!!!!!!! Awesome post! Just what we all needed. I am so glad we are going to be in the same program! :)

Ahh my head spins wondering will I start out at 55k, 65K, 70K or what. Makes a big difference when paying off loans. Right now I'm working almost 65hrs/week @ 8.50/hr to keep up on rent, bills, gas, car repairs, phone. Its crazy. So no matter what I make after I get my degree, will be 100x better then what I am making now.

This.
People say, "Well ya know, after taxes $50-70,000 is not a lot of money." So I panic and question my decisions. Then I realize I'm making less than $15hr right. Hmm.