How accurate are practice tests in terms of scoring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurestrip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im getting really different results in all of the practice tests im taking. Like Ive gotten a 513 and 512 on NS 1&2 but a 505 on the kaplan diagnostic and a 504 on the tpr diagnostic. Also my aamc scored I got a 509 which Ive heard is the most accurate but Ive also heard that NS tests are deflated so I dont know. Are there exams I should put less importance on the scores because theyre either too deflated or inflated? Im worried cause I got higher on a supposedly harder test (NS) but less on the most realistic one (aamc).

Members don't see this ad.

I am probably not the best help, but from what I have been seeing, Kaplan is supposed to be difficult, and I see most people getting between a 501-505. I think you are in pretty good shape.

Ive heard that but when I compare my percent correct for NS with that of the aamc scored I have much less correct on the NS but still the same or higher score.

Members don't see this ad :)
About 75% or above is what you should shoot for on the unscored. Plenty of conversions out there say that's about a 508, and I would agree. I got 71% on it and ended up with a 504.

Did you also do any EK or TBR FLs? If so, what scores did you get?

Yep I did EK1 and EK3 and got 64% and 63% respectively. Those were taken the two weekends before the unscored. Hope that helps! I found EK to be way more full of trick questions than the actual aamc materials and they weren't helping me since their explanations are a little weak.

Sheesh... I only got 1% lower on EK1 but 5 points lower on the actual... These things aren't very accurate. :p AAMC is the only thing somewhat close.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you take them? I took them with a full month and a half of studying left, so that may account for some of the difference. But yeah I agree, it's really difficult to predict your score from practice tests, even the aamc wasn't accurate for me but at least it is for most people on here.

I took them with about 3 weeks left. All of my bitter posts are just a reflection of the lack of accurate CARS material available. I am infinitely bitter about NextStep misleading me and am requesting a refund on their exams. The fact that a passage or two may be keeping me out of medical school is bugging the hell out of me as I sit and wait for updates from schools.

I
Yep I did EK1 and EK3 and got 64% and 63% respectively. Those were taken the two weekends before the unscored. Hope that helps! I found EK to be way more full of trick questions than the actual aamc materials and they weren't helping me since their explanations are a little weak.

I heard EK is tricky as well! How about the actual MCAT? Did you find it to be trickier than EK, just as tricky as EK, a little less trickier than EK, or straightforward?

I think the general consensus is: prep company's tests = usually underestimate score because they are more difficult than the real thing, AAMC practice tests = most accurate but varies on how people score on the real thing.

HOWEVER - AAMC section bank was incredibly useful for me as a final touch up before heading into the exam. I highly recommend doing that whole section bank a week before and then use it to brush up whatever you missed. Sometimes its not the content as much as it is the question form.

Reactions: 1 users
It had some trick questions but definitely not as many as the EK tests. I second the fact that the section banks were really important, but I did them 2-3 weeks prior and then reviewed them again the week leading up. Personally I was blindsided by some content in the section banks and those topics required some time to learn so I wouldn't wait until the week of your test to do those (3 weeks out or 2 weeks out is prob plenty of time). They weren't super difficult topics, just things that EK didn't cover or said you didn't need to know in depth (a couple things in enzyme kinetics, metabolism, etc). My actual mcat felt most like the section banks to me, with the exception of BB which felt similar in difficulty to the scored FL, but that's just my version of the test.

Okay I am a bit confused, but perhaps you can clarify this, if it's not too much trouble.

So there are AAMC CARS question packs 1 and 2, question packs for the sciences, something called a "Section Bank," a scored AAMC FL (must pay for it) and an ungraded (free) ?

Do I have to buy each section separately in terms of the section bank, or is it just one thing?

If you want CARS help but the old examkrackers 101 passages. It's not as true to form as AAMC material, but it is a ton of practice that will definitely help your score.

AAMC Scored, AAMC Unscored, and Altius half-length were the best predictors of my exam score.

Reactions: 1 user
About 75% or above is what you should shoot for on the unscored. Plenty of conversions out there say that's about a 508, and I would agree. I got 71% on it and ended up with a 504.
I took the AAMC Unscored today and also scored 72% :( But I've scored around 510 like 2 weeks ago...I have about 7 weeks to go. What can I do to raise my score to 510+?

They aren't very accurate from my experience OP. My TPR scores were always at the 500 mark and they were much more difficult and involved. The aamc ones are the most accurate around 508 but not 100%. My actual mcat was 514 btw