How accurate is the book Gray's Anatomy? (1901 edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anatomy has always been one of my favorite topics. For Christmas my parents got a me a reissued copy of the 1901 edition of Gray's Anatomy.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how accurate I can expect this to be. I know there are many newer editions. Would this edition be dated and contain incorrect information?

Anyone have any idea? I just want to make sure that what I'm reading is factual information.

Thanks so much, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know because I don't know anybody who actually reads that book. It seems like bookshelf candy or something to put on your coffee table rather than something to study/learn from.

I don't know because I don't know anybody who actually reads that book. It seems like bookshelf candy or something to put on your coffee table rather than something to study/learn from.

I know many medical schools use Gray's as an anatomy text. From what I gather though they usually use the student edition. I've heard some professors find the actual text to be too detailed to use, and some find the student edition too concise.

Either way, I just want to know what role my copy plays in providing any kind of actual knowledge base.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know many medical schools use Gray's as an anatomy text. From what I gather though they usually use the student edition. I've heard some professors find the actual text to be too detailed to use, and some find the student edition too concise.

Either way, I just want to know what role my copy plays in providing any kind of actual knowledge base.

Well, the human body in 1901 is exactly the same as the human body in 2009, so I would say that it hasn't changed. A few of the names may be different (i.e. the innominate a. is now the brachiocephalic a.), but fundamentally it's the same. I hope you're not thinking about studying Gray's as preparation for med school, b/c that would be a useless waste of time. In med school, you'll most likely use an actual textbook, like Gray's for Students or Moore's rather than the 1901 edition.

Student Gray's is very, very different from the Gray text that you have.

I also have the brick version of Gray's Anatomy (+1000 pages and illustrations).

There are 40+ editions, some of them revised, some of them not. It depends entirely on which edition you have. In my version it's even noted that Henry Gray was pretty much right on the button when it came to his analysis of anatomy, which is why the book is so timeless. There may be an outdated term here and there or we may have a better understanding of certain facets of anatomy today, but overall the text is very reliable.

To get the most out of it, pick up Gray's Anatomy for Students to really get a good grip on whats being described, and use your original Gray's Anatomy as a reference book. Spend a few hours a day with each any you'll have anatomy down pat in no time.

Thanks everyone! I don't plan to use my copy of Grays as a prep for med school by any means. I'm just a nerd about anatomy and like reading about it for "fun."

Anyways, I still plan to read through it. I guess if anything is inaccurate I'll be corrected at some point later in my "for real" studies, haha. Thanks again!

Absolutely, very accurate. I use the old classic leather one from BN as I'm finally in medical school. It's amazing, very detailed yes, but if you know it, you will do very very well on tests. It's also more fun to study then a regular textbook. I feel a part of a nice history and kinda old school when I read it, which I enjoy.