How accurate was your very LAST NBME??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiemonster15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took an NBME (or UWSA) within the last week before your exam, how closely did it correlate to your actual score on the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I have <1wk and NBME 15 left and all I can read about is people tanking their trends with it ;_;

I felt that NBME 16 was the hardest of the newest ones (NBME 12, 13, 15, 16). Actually can't really speak for NBME 12 because that was taken at the very beginning of my study period. But definitely scored with a standard deviation of +/- 2 points. It's difficult to tell which ones people do better on and which ones people do worse on. The scope of information is so large that it could happen that there was a larger percentage of questions about topics you were weaker in or presentations you were unfamiliar with. The goal is to know enough that you can make educated guesses based on what you already know.

Anyways you have 1 week left, my test is tomorrow. This last part is the most grueling because you want it to be over but at the same time you feel like the information will seep from your brain. Keep going over what you know you forget easily and take NBME 15 if you haven't already. Then take the stupid exam and celebrate.

Why are you on SDN? Go study and good luck!

He/she is on SDN because they want some reassurance that everything will go okay and they want to learn from the experience of others.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The last NBME I had overestimated my score.... my results were linearly trending up in my practice tests. Led to great disappointment when I got my real score back.

Do you think that the NBME's are interchangeable in terms of providing diagnostic insight? I know people usually take them in ascending order as they approach thier test date. Therefore, one's score is also ascending (more or less)?
Shorter version: I'm gonna take an NBME soon (my first one) to see where I'm at. Is NBME 12 or so just as predictive as NBME 16? Or, should I start with UWSA?

My scores:
Kaplan Diagnostic: 31%
USMLE World: 66% (100% done, subject based tutor mode)
CBSSA: 160-165
NBME 1: 168
UWSA 1: 192
NBME 5: 198
UWSA 2: 209
Free 150: 77% (Medfriends Estimated 233)
NBME 6: 223
NBME 7: 227
Real thing: 214
This is from my post in the 2010 step 1 experiences thread. It is depressing reading the anticipatory posts in that thread.

There will always be exceptions - but my understanding is that your last COUPLE NBMEs (provided they were taken within close proximity to the test date) will usually give you a good idea where you stand. Look at any of the Step 1 experiences threads - most ppl will be around (+/- 5pts) of their NBMEs.

Best of Luck OP - you've put in the hard work, now it's time to hit it out of the park!

My scores:
Kaplan Diagnostic:
31%
USMLE World: 66% (100% done, subject based tutor mode)
CBSSA: 160-165
NBME 1: 168
UWSA 1: 192
NBME 5: 198
UWSA 2: 209
Free 150: 77% (Medfriends Estimated 233)
NBME 6: 223
NBME 7: 227
Real thing: 214
This is from my post in the 2010 step 1 experiences thread. It is depressing reading the anticipatory posts in that thread.

C'mon, we all know this is an outlier. Don't scare yourself. I've read probably 30 of these anticipation-outcome stats and this is the only one I've seen significantly overpredict.

Reactions: 1 user
Outlier or not within the SDN sample, it is what it is. My advising dean at my school warned me about NBME's overestimating my score based on her experience with students.

For Step 2:
UWSA: ~220 (don't remember exact score)
NBME 4: 560 (244)
Real thing: 229/99 - definitely better than my step 1 score, but I expected higher.... probably my expectations was the issue.

I will let you know about Step 3, just took it a week ago.

I would say do not get bogged down on what you read on these forums and worry about your own studying. If you put the work in you will be fine. You are most likely fine based on whatever your last NBME is.