How am I doing so far on my road to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieatcantaloupe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people of SDN! it's my first time posting here so bear with me :D

I am currently in the process of completing my prereqs for medical school so far I have competed
-> 1 semester of biology: A-
-> 1 semester of Chemistry: B+
-> 1 semester of psychology: A
->1 semester of sociology: B+
-> 1 semester of statistics: A
-> 1 semester of calculus: A-

My current GPA is a 3.44 but this is my grade without factoring community classes I need to transfer over to my university so my GPA is closer to a 3.5 [I messed up my sophomore year] :(

I have two more years until I graduate and complete the rest of my prerequisites and degree so there is definitely room to bring my GPA up!
I plan on applying to medical school in 2019, my focus being on applying to DO schools because I like their mission of evaluating the patients overall well-being such as factoring their environment and lifestyle it seems more holistic and I like that aspect a lot.

Extracurriculars I am currently involved in:

->nutrition club on campus which provides awareness to healthy lifestyles and eating for students on campus
->volunteering at a community farm in an undeserved area which focuses on providing awareness to healthy eating
-> Volunteering at my university's food pantry to provide food for college students
-> I am doing clinical search with an ER doctor at my local hospital 4 hours per week for a total of 2 years and by the end of it I'll have 400+ hours of clinical experience
-> I am a part of the Science Educational Equity program at my college designed for minority students to help us give us a pathway toward professional careers, being a part of this program I sometimes go out to disadvantaged schools to do mentoring and tutoring.
-> I currently work part time as well and i am full time (however I plan on quitting) it's been about almost a year working there.

** I am working on getting shadowing experience

So after looking at what I have to offer am I on the right track for medical school? What advice can you give me to improve my application is very much appreciated!! <3 <3

Members don't see this ad.

Well let's be honest you're not doing great but with 2+ years til you apply literally anything can happen

Members don't see this ad :)
Step up your game.

Reactions: 1 user
is it because of my grades or experiences?

If I read your post correctly you have a 3.44 at community college? That's not the best in terms of showing you're ready to handle med school.

However your pre-req grades are pretty good, so I'm curious where the low grades come from? Do you happen to know your BCPM (science) GPA?

I'm sorry I didn't realize your main goal was DO, I misread your original post. You're actually not that far off track for DO school admissions - I think the average GPA is like 3.6 (?). If you can deliver on the MCAT you should be a solid applicant. Shoot to take it with at least a year of lead time before applying to allow ample time for re-study and re-takes if necessary. Shoot for a 505 and you'll be competitive for almost every DO school in the country.

Also your activities are pretty good, but you should try to branch out of the ER and get some shadowing of other types of medicine.

Good luck and sorry if my original post sounded a bit harsh! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user