How am I looking....Applying May 2016 for 2017 admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flippinski

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
Female, 31, CA resident
BS Engineering
MS Engineering

post cGPA: 3.73
post sGPA: 3.64
u cGPA 3.26
u sGPA 3.15
grad GPA 3.2

Taking MCAT either SEP15 or MAY16, testing around 30 or 504

Post Grad Grades:
Ab. Psych A
Sociology 101 A
Biology 1 A-
Biology 1 Lab A-
Organic Chemistry 1 B-
Organic Chemistry 1 Lab A
Genetics A
Biology 191 C+
Biology 192 A
Physics II A-
Physics II Lab A-
Genetics A
Intro to Psychology A
Cell Biology A

EC's
40 hrs Shadowing DO (OBGYN),
80 hrs ER Scribe
150+ hrs non-medical volunteering
15,000+ hrs of world competitive athletics
15,000+ hrs Project Management
500+hrs Leadership
5000+hrs Coaching
1500+hrs Tutoring
200+ Grad Research Assistant non-medical
2000+ hrs Research
80+ hrs Graduate Teacher Program Certification
2 published papers
2 international presentations
Honorably Discharged Veteran (Nuclear Engineer)

I'm secure with getting good recommendations and I feel pretty good about my personal statement.

I'm looking at applying in May and I'm just looking for some advice about what I can do to strengthen my application further?

Here's what I'm looking at doing:

-take a couple more courses (Microbiology, Org II, Orgo Lab, & Biochemistry), hopefully doing well with A's in these. Any recommendation on other courses I should look at?
-look into gaining more clinical hours through volunteering at Children's Hospital (approx 80-100hrs)
-Studying like crazy for the MCAT to knock it out of the park!

Any advice on anything else I should do to strengthen my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Stats:
Female, 31, CA resident
BS Engineering
MS Engineering

post cGPA: 3.73
post sGPA: 3.64
u cGPA 3.26
u sGPA 3.15
grad GPA 3.2

Taking MCAT either SEP15 or MAY16, testing around 30 or 504

Post Grad Grades:
Ab. Psych A
Sociology 101 A
Biology 1 A-
Biology 1 Lab A-
Organic Chemistry 1 B-
Organic Chemistry 1 Lab A
Genetics A
Biology 191 C+
Biology 192 A
Physics II A-
Physics II Lab A-
Genetics A
Intro to Psychology A
Cell Biology A

EC's
40 hrs Shadowing DO (OBGYN),
80 hrs ER Scribe
150+ hrs non-medical volunteering
15,000+ hrs of world competitive athletics
15,000+ hrs Project Management
500+hrs Leadership
5000+hrs Coaching
1500+hrs Tutoring
200+ Grad Research Assistant non-medical
2000+ hrs Research
80+ hrs Graduate Teacher Program Certification
2 published papers
2 international presentations
Honorably Discharged Veteran (Nuclear Engineer)

I'm secure with getting good recommendations and I feel pretty good about my personal statement.

I'm looking at applying in May and I'm just looking for some advice about what I can do to strengthen my application further?

Here's what I'm looking at doing:

-take a couple more courses (Microbiology, Org II, Orgo Lab, & Biochemistry), hopefully doing well with A's in these. Any recommendation on other courses I should look at?
-look into gaining more clinical hours through volunteering at Children's Hospital (approx 80-100hrs)
-Studying like crazy for the MCAT to knock it out of the park!

Any advice on anything else I should do to strengthen my application?

It would be best for you to post this in the What are my Chances forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/

Anyway, your best bet is DO schools because they are fine with grade replacement. You may have a chance with MD schools, but you're looking at an uphill battle since you're a CA resident, and maaany highly qualified applicants apply to CA medical schools.
You should invest in the MSAR and find schools that have similar median GPA and MCAT scores as yours. Cast a wide net--I would apply to both MD and DO schools (maybe 30+ MD schools and 5 DO schools).
You have a good diversity of ECs and experience. I would recommend shadowing a primary care doctor like family medicine or internal medicine if you can.

Finish up your prereqs, and microbiology sounds like a good option. You don't really need to take any more upper division biology courses if you've already taken one year of biology. Hopefully you are taking the MCAT after you finish the prerequisites. Keep volunteering at the children's hospital, maybe keep it at 4 hours a week so you can focus on your studies.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you have some great work experiences but your cum gpa is low and your CC credits will not impress adcoms. I say apply to some master programs as well this cycle along with MD schools. Or the DO route is open as well.

I'm sure you have some great work experiences but your cum gpa is low and your CC credits will not impress adcoms. I say apply to some master programs as well this cycle along with MD schools. Or the DO route is open as well.
yeah hear that. hoping my backstory, being a veteran, great LOR's, and great EC's will shine through, i will kill it on the MCAT. Having already completed another master's, don't really want to just complete another (and spend the $) just so I can up my chances at MD school. Thanks for your input though