How are my chances, and what I should do to increase them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xPNx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just took my first DAT the other day, and here's my breakdown:

PAT: 19 (I totally thought I flunk this section!)
QR: 19
RC: 25 (I guess I got lucky!)
Bio: 20
GC: 19
OC: 20
TS: 20
AA: 21

This is my unofficial score report, so it may change.
I honestly did not study as much as I wanted to because I took it right in the middle of the semester. I took the sample 2007 DAT and got not higher than 18-19 on each section. To study, I only used Kaplan course book and the flashcards that came with it. I also use the free DAT Bootcamp sample tests, and also got no higher than 18-19 on each section.

I'm currently a junior and my GPA so far is roughly 3.45 and my science GPA should be around there as well.
Going back to high school, I think I have about ~700 hours of volunteering.
Do dental schools even look at my community service / volunteering hours during high school?
If not, my total community service / volunteering hours during college is about ~150 hours.
I also worked for one year during college and took Organic Chem the same year. I got a B the first semester and a C the second semester. Will dental schools take note of my job, and its possibly negative influences that it may have toward my education.
I participated in a special research program during the summer during my junior year in high school, where I was able to shadow and conduct a bit of research with a researcher / doctor (~300 hours).
I'm still working on shadowing dentists, and currently only have ~5 hours. :/
Extracurriculars is something I lack (ex: clubs, organizations, etc). :/

I'm interested in applying to LSU dental school, and I'll be an in-state student if accepted.
I know LSU is pretty competitive. Average GPA is like 3.5 and average DAT is 19-20. 18 minimum I think.

What do you guys think of my chances?

Also, I have a few other questions.

1) I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I honestly want a 23+ DAT score to make up for my lack of extracurriculars, but I'm not sure if its worth $385 to get 2 more points, considering I got enough to meet the requirements. Though I think my chances will increase the second time I take it because it'll be during the end of May and I'll have roughly a month to study without the interference of school.

2) I'm just curious, but are the DAT's the same every time you take it? (Like if you take it in the same year)

3) If I don't get accepted my first time around, how does reapplying the following year work?
Do you have to get professors recommendations again, redo a whole new personal statement, and redo the whole application again, or is there the option to forward your last ADEA AADSAS application?

4) What else do you guys recommend to pre-dental student to increase his likelihood of getting in a dental school?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I honestly want a 23+ DAT score to make up for my lack of extracurriculars, but I'm not sure if its worth $385 to get 2 more points, considering I got enough to meet the requirements. Though I think my chances will increase the second time I take it because it'll be during the end of May and I'll have roughly a month to study without the interference of school.

2) I'm just curious, but are the DAT's the same every time you take it? (Like if you take it in the same year)

3) If I don't get accepted my first time around, how does reapplying the following year work?
Do you have to get professors recommendations again, redo a whole new personal statement, and redo the whole application again, or is there the option to forward your last ADEA AADSAS application?

4) What else do you guys recommend to pre-dental student to increase his likelihood of getting in a dental school?
Thanks so much!

Chances are hard to predict, for LSU, 2013 ADEA guide states mean DAT was 19.6 for AA/PAT/TS. Mean Science GPA of 3.60 and total GPA of 3.67. So above average DAT, slightly below average GPA, some ECs, you're right in the middle of things so its anyone's guess. However, being in-state does help you out since 80 of 185 in-state applicants received interviews which are pretty good chances.

Higher DAT may help you but you're already above average so its hard to say whether on not you should retake, if you're confident you can do better then by all means go for it.

There are multiple versions of the exam, chances are you won't get the same one.

If you reapply, info from last application is saved except for recommendations.

Generally, high school hours shouldn't be counted. Finish out the semester strong, participate in any ECs, shadowing (try to get up to 100 hours), volunteering, research available to you to strengthen your application.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I just took my first DAT yesterday, and here's my breakdown:

I honestly did not study as much as I wanted to because I took it right in the middle of the semester. I took the sample 2007 DAT and got not higher than 18-19 on each section. To study, I only used Kaplan course book and the flashcards that came with it. I also use the free DAT Bootcamp sample tests, and also got no higher than 18-19 on each section.

I'm currently a junior and my GPA so far is roughly 3.45 and my science GPA should be around there as well.
Do dental schools even look at my community service / volunteering hours during high school?
If not, my total community service / volunteering hours during college is about ~150 hours.
I also worked for one year during college and took Organic Chem the same year. I got a B the first semester and a C the second semester. Will dental schools take note of my job, and its possibly negative influences that it may have toward my education.
I participated in a special research program during the summer during my junior year in high school, where I was able to shadow and conduct a bit of research with a researcher / doctor (~300 hours).
[High school stuff doesnt count. Rack up at least 100hrs of shadowing. Do research, it'll help a lot.]

I'm interested in applying to LSU dental school, and I'll be an in-state student if accepted.
I know LSU is pretty competitive. Average GPA is like 3.5 and average DAT is 19-20. 18 minimum I think.

What do you guys think of my chances? [Asking what your chances are for getting into 1 specific school is difficult to answer. However, you seem like you have a reasonably good shot of getting in and an even better one if you improve your EC and GPA w/ your remaining time in undergrad.]

1) I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I honestly want a 23+ DAT score to make up for my lack of extracurriculars, but I'm not sure if its worth $385 to get 2 more points, considering I got enough to meet the requirements. Though I think my chances will increase the second time I take it because it'll be during the end of May and I'll have roughly a month to study without the interference of school. [It would be easier and less stressful for you to improve your EC than it would be to get a 23+AA. Your DAT is fine, no need to retake unless you are extremely certain you couldve done better.]

2) I'm just curious, but are the DAT's the same every time you take it? (Like if you take it in the same year) [Always different questions but the format remains the same.]

Do you have to get professors recommendations again, redo a whole new personal statement, and redo the whole application again, or is there the option to forward your last ADEA AADSAS application? [Reapplying works the same way as applying your 1st time, except a lot of your information is saved and you dont have to enter it all again. You could use the same recommendations again, you could get more if you think theyll help and make you look better to schools. You dont have to write a new personal statement, but you could if you want. When reapplying make sure you keep a record of your aadsas ID and log in names and passwords, youll need them.

4) What else do you guys recommend to pre-dental student to increase his likelihood of getting in a dental school? [Play around on a GPA calculator and figure out how to increase your GPA as much as possible. 3.4 GPA is fine but higher is always better. Do research. At least 100hrs of shadowing and if you can try to do it at multiple locations and with different types of dentists.]

Thanks so much!

Comments in bold ^^

Apply to 10 or more school and youll very likely get in somewhere. GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are hard to predict, for LSU, 2013 ADEA guide states mean DAT was 19.6 for AA/PAT/TS. Mean Science GPA of 3.60 and total GPA of 3.67. So above average DAT, slightly below average GPA, some ECs, you're right in the middle of things so its anyone's guess. However, being in-state does help you out since 80 of 185 in-state applicants received interviews which are pretty good chances.

Higher DAT may help you but you're already above average so its hard to say whether on not you should retake, if you're confident you can do better then by all means go for it.

There are multiple versions of the exam, chances are you won't get the same one.

If you reapply, info from last application is saved except for recommendations.

Generally, high school hours shouldn't be counted. Finish out the semester strong, participate in any ECs, shadowing (try to get up to 100 hours), volunteering, research available to you to strengthen your application.

Thanks for your advice!

I definitely see myself as an average student (or just a bit below it) and nothing more, which is why I want to retake the DAT and get a higher score to cover for what I lack. But at the same time I'm worried about getting a lower score even though I should be better prepared the second time around.

So if I don't get accepted this year, all I got to do is re-ask my professors and others to redo the letters of recommendations? Man, that sucks to ask them twice or more if I don't get in the second time around. :/

Like you stated, in-state student are given priority at LSU. I just hope, it'll be in my favor when the time comes.

So, should I or should I not talk about community service / volunteering hours / special research I did during high school in the application? In my opinion, it'll make my application look much better given all the hours I have.

Thanks!

Comments in bold ^^

Apply to 10 or more school and youll very likely get in somewhere. GL.

I guess it would suck if I can't put any of my high school extracurriculars in.

I would like to apply to different schools, but my first priority would be LSU. And I know that my chances will be lowered when applying to out of state schools. :/

Thanks for your advice!

So, should I or should I not talk about community service / volunteering hours / special research I did during high school in the application? In my opinion, it'll make my application look much better given all the hours I have.

Thanks!
"List any related activities in order of importance to you. You may include activities from college (activities from high school are not acceptable). "
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ExtracurricularVolunteerCommunityService.aspx

Thanks for your advice!

I definitely see myself as an average student (or just a bit below it) and nothing more, which is why I want to retake the DAT and get a higher score to cover for what I lack. But at the same time I'm worried about getting a lower score even though I should be better prepared the second time around.

So if I don't get accepted this year, all I got to do is re-ask my professors and others to redo the letters of recommendations? Man, that sucks to ask them twice or more if I don't get in the second time around. :/

Like you stated, in-state student are given priority at LSU. I just hope, it'll be in my favor when the time comes.

Thanks!

You can also store letters using the service Interfolio, as long as you pay for the service, they will hold onto your letters for use/reuse. That being said, your stats are decent enough for admission somewhere if you apply broadly but its hard to say for just 1 school.

Also, another quick question.
Does anyone know what happens to your DAT scores if you selected them to be sent to dental schools?

When I applied to take the DAT, I pretty much selected all the schools in the US to receive my DAT scores. Lol.
I will not complete my ADEA AADSAS application until later this year to apply for admission for Fall 2015.
Will the dental schools just ignore them since I haven't completed the AADSAS application?

Also, another quick question.
Does anyone know what happens to your DAT scores if you selected them to be sent to dental schools?

When I applied to take the DAT, I pretty much selected all the schools in the US to receive my DAT scores. Lol.
I will not complete my ADEA AADSAS application until later this year to apply for admission for Fall 2015.
Will the dental schools just ignore them since I haven't completed the AADSAS application?

Nothing will happen unless you designate them on AADSAS when you actually apply but its fine that you marked them all, as long as you marked one it will be linked with your DENTPIN.

Another quick question.
LSU applications are opened from June 3 - Oct 1.
I hear this all the time. People say you ought to apply as early as possible. I want to do so, and I definitely don't plan to apply late.
But I might be doing something productive this summer. Hopefully, it'll be some EC's, research, or classes, where I can also get a good LORs.
Do you guys think I should delay my application and apply around Aug- early Sept so that I can have time to add one or two extra EC's?
And I hear things about 1st and 2nd batches for applications. Can someone provide me with a quick explanation of this?

Another quick question.
LSU applications are opened from June 3 - Oct 1.
I hear this all the time. People say you ought to apply as early as possible. I want to do so, and I definitely don't plan to apply late.
But I might be doing something productive this summer. Hopefully, it'll be some EC's, research, or classes, where I can also get a good LORs.
Do you guys think I should delay my application and apply around Aug- early Sept so that I can have time to add one or two extra EC's?
And I hear things about 1st and 2nd batches for applications. Can someone provide me with a quick explanation of this?
The 1st batch is usually sent out on the last Friday in June and subsequent batches are sent out each Friday after that. When you apply, you immediately want to send in your transcripts since they take some time to be processed, then when you submit your application, your GPA must be verified which takes some amount of time (may take a day, may take 2 weeks). Therefore, its generally recommended you submit your application early as it takes some time to verify and then further processing by each school. With a deadline like that (June-Oct), I would apply early and if possible send update letters (depends on each school, I don't know if they accept them) and/or bring up what you have done since then during the interview.

Hi guys,

I just took my first DAT the other day, and here's my breakdown:

What do you guys think of my chances?

Thanks so much!

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you study with the Kaplan course book and flash cards? And did you know mostly all of the information within the book before taking your test?

I think if you want to take the DAT again definitely do it! I'm unsure about American schools as many schools are adding additional seats to their dmd/dds program but when I went to interview for one of the Canadian schools, the dean told me that this year's pool has been the most competitive of all and GPA/DAT scores are significantly higher than last year. If this is the trend, your cycle (2015) won't be the same with 2013 cycle stat. I know 300+ dollars seem like a lot of money for +2 score on AA but that 2 points can make a huge difference. Also, if you work hard enough, you can achieve 24+ or more. Honestly one month is enough to study if you have the basics down.

If you are lacking in extracurricular, however, making it up with DAT isn't a very good idea. You can definitely put your high school extracurricular as a part of your personal statement. If you continued your highschool EC till now or any time in undergrad year (ex. if you shadowed a dentist from gr.12 to mid-freshmen) you can include that in the EC section.
EC wise, join some clubs, even if you don't really participate in them. Do you play sports? hobbies? do you go to church?
You need to shadow more. 100+ hours would be ideal and yes you still have time. I started shadowing in May 2014. I shadowed 10+ hours a week and ended up with 150+ hours when I applied (Oct). It's only Feb and you still have 5 months! (including time for the transcript to be sent out).

I'm with @sjv on this. If it was me, I would settle with that DAT score and focus my time on the ECs and GPAs. I'd recommend getting into a research lab this semester and have some exposure because in both of my interviews I was asked if I had any research experiences.

Your DAT is great but your GPA could be better. You definitely need to get all A's this semester and do AT LEAST 50+ more hours of shadowing.

your volunteer work is good. 150+ in college is great (as stated earlier don't mention anything you did in high school) and you having worked a job will help to. The only down side of your application so far seems to be your GPA (even though it's not bad.. especially with your DAT score).

I just applied to LSU last summer and got accepted and you should DEFINITELY apply as early as possible. LSU says their application pool is open til OCT 1 but they have pretty much decided who they are planning on interviewing by August. Dr. Cheramie told me that if you apply in Late August or later you pretty much have no chance of getting interview unless you have a 4.0 GPA and 25+ DAT.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you study with the Kaplan course book and flash cards? And did you know mostly all of the information within the book before taking your test?

I started using the Kaplan book once my winter break started. My goal was to read roughly 30 pages a day so I could finish the entire book before my DAT. I went over flashcards one or twice every week and when I had about two weeks left before my DAT, I studied the flashcards everyday. And yes, I did have a good understanding of the information within the book. Theoretically, you ought to as well. It's best you take the DAT's after you take your Bio, Gen. and Org. Chem classes, and then use whatever material to review what you have learned.

Your DAT is great but your GPA could be better. You definitely need to get all A's this semester and do AT LEAST 50+ more hours of shadowing.

your volunteer work is good. 150+ in college is great (as stated earlier don't mention anything you did in high school) and you having worked a job will help to. The only down side of your application so far seems to be your GPA (even though it's not bad.. especially with your DAT score).

I just applied to LSU last summer and got accepted and you should DEFINITELY apply as early as possible. LSU says their application pool is open til OCT 1 but they have pretty much decided who they are planning on interviewing by August. Dr. Cheramie told me that if you apply in Late August or later you pretty much have no chance of getting interview unless you have a 4.0 GPA and 25+ DAT.

Congrats on your acceptance.
Yup, my GPA is mediocre. :/ I don't think I'll be able to bring it up to 3.5+ until I finish undergrad later this year. Until then, I'll be stuck with a ~3.45 around application time.
And yes, hopefully my job will help as well. I did a lot of work that required a good bit of hand dexterity. Hopefully I can elaborate on that in my application.
I'm definitely going to start shadowing again soon, and hopefully get about 100 hours+.
And, thanks for the the tip. You're freaking me out about applying late in August, but I'll definitely try to apply as early as possible.
Can you please tell me your stats? I like to know if I have still have a decent chance. :/
And did you go to LSU by any chance? And if so, do you think LSU graduates have a "better" chance then let's say Tulane, Loyola, or Xavier?

Thanks for your advice!

I think if you want to take the DAT again definitely do it! I'm unsure about American schools as many schools are adding additional seats to their dmd/dds program but when I went to interview for one of the Canadian schools, the dean told me that this year's pool has been the most competitive of all and GPA/DAT scores are significantly higher than last year. If this is the trend, your cycle (2015) won't be the same with 2013 cycle stat. I know 300+ dollars seem like a lot of money for +2 score on AA but that 2 points can make a huge difference. Also, if you work hard enough, you can achieve 24+ or more. Honestly one month is enough to study if you have the basics down.

If you are lacking in extracurricular, however, making it up with DAT isn't a very good idea. You can definitely put your high school extracurricular as a part of your personal statement. If you continued your highschool EC till now or any time in undergrad year (ex. if you shadowed a dentist from gr.12 to mid-freshmen) you can include that in the EC section.
EC wise, join some clubs, even if you don't really participate in them. Do you play sports? hobbies? do you go to church?
You need to shadow more. 100+ hours would be ideal and yes you still have time. I started shadowing in May 2014. I shadowed 10+ hours a week and ended up with 150+ hours when I applied (Oct). It's only Feb and you still have 5 months! (including time for the transcript to be sent out).

That would suck if statistics show that DAT/GPA are more competitive this year. This would only hurt my chances. :/
I'll definitely have to retake the Dat again to get at least a 23.

And what do you mean by "going to church?" I do, and I also help out a bit with my church / parish, but will that help much?

I had a very similar DAT to yours.. 21AA\20TS\21PAT. My GPA was a 3.72 though. I had around 80 shadowing hours between two dentists and 120+ hours of volunteer work and around 1400+ of work hours during undergrad.

I did go to LSU and I wouldn't say LSU students have a better chance per say but we definintely had the most of any of the other instate colleges but that was mostly because we are the biggest and we have a big pre-dental society (100++). There are quite a handful of Loyola\Xavier\La Tech\ULL students that got in.

Did you go to the predental 101 conference they just had this past weekend? It's definitely a good thing to have said you have gone. If not its wont happen again til next January so dont worry about it. You definitely have good chances. Just apply as early as possible.

I started using the Kaplan book once my winter break started. My goal was to read roughly 30 pages a day so I could finish the entire book before my DAT. I went over flashcards one or twice every week and when I had about two weeks left before my DAT, I studied the flashcards everyday. And yes, I did have a good understanding of the information within the book. Theoretically, you ought to as well. It's best you take the DAT's after you take your Bio, Gen. and Org. Chem classes, and then use whatever material to review what you have learned.

Congrats on your acceptance.
Yup, my GPA is mediocre. :/ I don't think I'll be able to bring it up to 3.5+ until I finish undergrad later this year. Until then, I'll be stuck with a ~3.45 around application time.
And yes, hopefully my job will help as well. I did a lot of work that required a good bit of hand dexterity. Hopefully I can elaborate on that in my application.
I'm definitely going to start shadowing again soon, and hopefully get about 100 hours+.
And, thanks for the the tip. You're freaking me out about applying late in August, but I'll definitely try to apply as early as possible.
Can you please tell me your stats? I like to know if I have still have a decent chance. :/
And did you go to LSU by any chance? And if so, do you think LSU graduates have a "better" chance then let's say Tulane, Loyola, or Xavier?

Thanks for your advice!

That would suck if statistics show that DAT/GPA are more competitive this year. This would only hurt my chances. :/
I'll definitely have to retake the Dat again to get at least a 23.

And what do you mean by "going to church?" I do, and I also help out a bit with my church / parish, but will that help much?

Regarding church, if you did any volunteering through church or with church you can put that down too.. like serving as a youth leader or missions trip.

I had almost the exact same DAT 21 AA 20TS 26 RC. 3.69 gpa, kinda low on community service as well and got into my state school. I think you've got a good shot. Work on your gpa and community service in the meantime before applying