How are my EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I'm entering my Junior year of college, and I just wanted feedback on my ECs and what I should do this next year before applying to Med School.

-Summer of 2012, I shadowed 3 different types of doctors(orthopedic, weight loss surgeon, cardiologist) for 7 weeks and a total of about 150 hours.
-I'm currently volunteering at a hospital in the emergency department. I started this past spring and have about 50 hours so far, and will continue this through the rest of undergrad. I expect to have about 150 hours by the time I apply.
-Summer of 2013- Shadowed a rheumatologist and general practitioner for 80 hours
-Non-clinical volunteering: Took notes for a person in my class with a disability(considered 25 hours) this past semester. Have helped set up campus road races(~10-15 hours)
-I'm going to be the President of the club cross country and track team this year, and have been on the team since freshman year.
-Part of an ethnic dance team, Fall of 2011 to present. We perform twice a year at different events.
-I have been playing piano since 2001. I have performed at 20 recitals, 7 guild competitions, and a few small events on campus
-Have been part of a campus ministry and bible study since freshman year

So how does that look so far and what else do you think I should try doing this year? I tried research this past spring for a couple weeks, but I really didn't like it and dropped. I thought it would be stupid of me to do something I don't like just to put it on my resume. Hopefully not having research won't hurt me too much...

Members don't see this ad.

Areas on your ECs missing: non-clinical volunteering and research.

The note-taking thing isn't nearly enough, though you can tie the road race setup into your cross-country thing pretty well. I'd still like to see something that you're more committed to, like volunteering weekly at a youth program or a shelter.

Research is one of those things that you probably need to do even if it's not something you like, just to have on your resume and say that you tried it. A lot of people do things they don't like just to qualify for medical school - taking physics/orgo/MCAT etc. Sometimes you have to suck it up and just do it. Try to get the most out of the experience after working there for a year, and then decide whether you'd like to continue sometime in the future or never step foot in a lab again.

Thank you for the reply!

A lot of the club teams at my university do a ton of volunteering on campus throughout the year, so I will definitely do more of that this year.

I'm still debating about research. The thing is, physics/orgo/mcat is an actual requirement for med school, while research is not for most med schools. I have always felt that ECs should be stuff that you enjoy and look forward to. All the ones that I have listed I have really enjoyed doing and plan on continuing them.

But I'm definitely going to still consider doing research. Maybe I can find a lab that is working on a project that actually interests me. For the one I tried, I just jumped into it because my friend told me it will look good on m application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply!

A lot of the club teams at my university do a ton of volunteering on campus throughout the year, so I will definitely do more of that this year.

I'm still debating about research. The thing is, physics/orgo/mcat is an actual requirement for med school, while research is not for most med schools. I have always felt that ECs should be stuff that you enjoy and look forward to. All the ones that I have listed I have really enjoyed doing and plan on continuing them.

But I'm definitely going to still consider doing research. Maybe I can find a lab that is working on a project that actually interests me. For the one I tried, I just jumped into it because my friend told me it will look good on m application.

Research isn't a requirement per se, but research based schools, especially Top 20 schools, view research pretty much as a requirement. Publications aren't necessary, but getting your feet wet definitely is.

You can avoid research and get into these schools, but the rest of your app has to be damn good to even have a chance (>3.9 GPA; >37 MCAT).

Thank you for the reply!

Along with the small volunteering activities here and there with your team, I'd suggest getting involved with a more long-term experience - one that you do maybe once per week up until med school. ADCOMS do like to see volunteering with some longevity to them.

Research isn't a requirement, yes, but if you look at many schools on the MSAR, about 70-80% of matriculants have done it on average. You don't want to do it, and that is legitimately fine. I'm just telling you what you "should" do.