how are new grads from california finding jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

this is incredibly sexist. Why do you think SCCO and Berk are so hard to get into? Because EVERYONE wants to stay in CA, not just females. I personally love it here, so I don't see why I would move somewhere else. And if you're in a relationship, it would be hard to ask your SO to move to the middle of nowhere just so you can earn some extra bucks.

lol you should check the sex ratios of the California schools. Berkeley is what? 90% female? And no not everyone wants to stay in Mexifornia. Way to make an ignorant generalization.

Members don't see this ad.

Such anger and excessive hyperbole in your post. If you want people to take you seriously then be more refined in your arguments.

No OD school or OD representative has ever brainwashed me. I looked up Optometry on my own. Nice try though.

Why would I cry when all I want is $100k? That's more than enough for me. I'm not a materialist.

You're consistently missing the point... You're not going to get $100k.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol you should check the sex ratios of the California schools. Berkeley is what? 90% female? And no not everyone wants to stay in Mexifornia. Way to make an ignorant generalization.

I was saying it's not just females. And if anything it should be called like Asianfornia lol.

Haha, well the schools of higher education in California are mostly Asian now that Affirmative Action was banned. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think we are missing the main point here. Main reason why females ODs don't mind going to saturated areas is that they end up having other big responsibilities besides working. By which I mean running the household. Once they have children most females are happy with just a part time schedule while husband is working full time. So optomchick make sure you marry well and for guys like us only thing that matters is money and if that means moving to Alaska or the US/Mexico border so be it.

I think we are missing the main point here. Main reason why females ODs don't mind going to saturated areas is that they end up having other big responsibilities besides working. By which I mean running the household. Once they have children most females are happy with just a part time schedule while husband is working full time. So optomchick make sure you marry well and for guys like us only thing that matters is money and if that means moving to Alaska or the US/Mexico border so be it.

Thanks, I don't plan on marrying an Optometrist :p

If I cared about money, i probably wouldn't be going into Optometry.

I really don't understand this line of thinking completely. You guys say you are choosing optometry because it's "where your passion is," and yet you only partially (or not at all, in some cases) realize that what you will be most likely doing after graduation is refracting tech work. If you work at a Walmart, Sam's, Costco, Pearle, LC, Target, Cohen's, VisionWorks, and especially at America's Worst, you're not going to be fulfilling your life's passion. I can guarantee you of that.

You all have this concept in your heads of what optometry will be when you enter the real world, but sadly, it's not going to be there for most of you.

If I cared about money, i probably wouldn't be going into Optometry.

Don't mean to pick directly, but this rant is meant for EVERYONE who says they don't care about money.

Do you care about eating? Money.

Do you care about having a roof over your head? Money.

I care about retiring someday. That takes money.

If you didn't care about money in some way you probably wouldn't be doing much..

Last edited:
Don't mean to pick directly, but this rant is meant for EVERYONE who says they don't care about money.

If you didn't care about money in some way you probably wouldn't be doing much..

And don't forget the huge student loan debt they all will have.

Don't be ridiculous. I don't think she meant she wants no amount of money. Do you know any ODs that are homeless on the streets begging for money to buy a meal? Or are you saying that this our future?

Don't be ridiculous. I don't think she meant she wants no amount of money. Do you know any ODs that are homeless on the streets begging for money to buy a meal? Or are you saying that this our future?

lol it definitely ain't our future. There are more ophthalmologists retiring than are being trained every year and the population of the US is growing by about 3 million people every year. I hope to one day be a successful and happy OD and make Jason K and TippyToe eat their words. Time will tell if this will come true and I promise to come back and report my progress.

lol it definitely ain't our future. There are more ophthalmologists retiring than are being trained every year and the population of the US is growing by about 3 million people every year. I hope to one day be a successful and happy OD and make Jason K and TippyToe eat their words. Time will tell if this will come true and I promise to come back and report my progress.

Its starting to get pretty absurd now on these forums. I mean "do you like a roof over your head"? First it was all about how PPs are not hiring so you would be working commercial. Now we are hearing you won't even have food to eat. Just wait a little longer and everyone will be telling us how majority of grads are commiting suicides upon graduation. I know the profession is facing problems but lets not lose our heads people.

Even though I don't agree with some of the things you say I hope you and every optometry student becomes a successful OD. And I know for sure you will let us know because you will never ever leave these forums. lol

Even though I don't agree with some of the things you say I hope you and every optometry student becomes a successful OD. And I know for sure you will let us know because you will never ever leave these forums. lol

Ya I'm addicted, it won't happen lol.

I was responding to being called a gold digger, i've never dated a guy based on how much he makes lol. And obviously I care about making enough to pay back my loans, but I don't need to make more than the average America to be happy, I'm okay with living below my means. Also I feel like my parents can probably help me out more than others, I'll always have a place to live if worst comes to worst.

Too bad you're not going to be an ophthalmologist.

lol it definitely ain't our future. There are more ophthalmologists retiring than are being trained every year and the population of the US is growing by about 3 million people every year.

We're on the assumption train again. Just because there is a supposed lessening of the ophthalmology oversupply issue has no bearing on your outlook as an OD. They are two vastly different professions, and any overlap will only lessen in the future.

I hope to one day be a successful and happy OD and make Jason K and TippyToe eat their words. Time will tell if this will come true and I promise to come back and report my progress.

Be sure to come back and let us all know how it turns out. I'm sure the Walmarts in rural North Dakota will have internet access, although the store manager might not let you have access to it. You can always sneak in an iPhone8, though - if you can afford it.