How are residencies chosen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kseri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With very few exceptions, students with decent GPA's and good work ethic are not at a disadvantage no matter which school they come from. There are great residency programs that attract top students from all 9 schools, and there are programs close to schools that tend to stick to their own. I would assume that residents who were upperclassmen to current students may help said students attain a residency spot, or get preference from a director who lectures at the school. If you really want a specific program then visit, rotate, interview, and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
I am from Chicago and went to temple. During the summer when I was in chicago and tried to visit programs there were two hospitals there that outright said we only take students from Scholl. On the same note though the Temple residency program has had 1 or 2 non Temple people in it during the last 15 years. There is some factor, but it is not an end all be all. There are a few residencies in other states far from PA that have been friendly to Temple such as ones in FL, CA, CO.
Go to the school that you feel is the best match for you then work from there.