how are so many premeds so unintellegent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Biology

The Nerdiest Super Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean sure there are lots of us who are naturally smart, work very hard, or even know how to cheat and do well in classes, but there are so many pre-med students that are SOOOOOO dumb... Like they cant make above a 50 on a biology or chemistry test, but are convinced they will get in medicine is the career for them. I even had a girl who was in her 4th time in gen chem 1 try to convince me I had to take a graduate level anatomy course as a pre requisite to med school.... I was just listening to her talk about how she is finally gonna pass with a D in chemistry and I was thinking "wow your a person?! I feel you need to be walked home so you don't walk out into traffic a get hit by a bus!" How do you deal with pure idiocy in your peers? (sorry if this post offends anyone. these opinions are based on numerous interactions and obeservations at my university)

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't be a doctor.

Reactions: 65 users
In my stoopidness, I do not understand the point of this thread.

Also, no need to be such an entitled ass.

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lolwut. :troll:

Reactions: 12 users
Most of those "premeds" won't become medical students anyway. Why do you care so much? What's your point?

Reactions: 4 users
I mean sure there are lots of us who are naturally smart, work very hard, or even know how to cheat and do well in classes, but there are so many pre-med students that are SOOOOOO dumb... Like they cant make above a 50 on a biology or chemistry test, but are convinced they will get in medicine is the career for them. I even had a girl who was in her 4th time in gen chem 1 try to convince me I had to take a graduate level anatomy course as a pre requisite to med school.... I was just listening to her talk about how she is finally gonna pass with a D in chemistry and I was thinking "wow your a person?! I feel you need to be walked home so you don't walk out into traffic a get hit by a bus!" How do you deal with pure idiocy in your peers? (sorry if this post offends anyone. these opinions are based on numerous interactions and obeservations at my university)
There are no intelligence requirements to be a pre-med. Just like there are no intelligence requirements to post here as evidenced by your post.

Reactions: 18 users
I was just listening to her talk about how she is finally gonna pass with a D in chemistry and I was thinking "wow your a person?! I feel you need to be walked home so you don't walk out into traffic a get hit by a bus!"

you're?

Reactions: 31 users

If you have to ask, you're one of them.

Reactions: 7 users
Most of those "premeds" won't become medical students anyway. Why do you care so much? What's your point?
my point is why don't they try harder? I am a firm believer that if you put your mind to it you can achieve it. In my opinion laziness of the mind is the worst kind of stupidity. if a person is a fully functioning member of society they have the potential to do anything, but on that same note if you cannot pass the same class 4 times the only person you can blame for your stupidity is you. Its frustrating because I see all these people with the potential to be incredibly intelligent, yet they choose not to try. If you can read and gain knowledge to help others and you choose not to because it would require effort... I mean honestly... I know you guys are going to throw out personal attacks about how I shouldn't be a doctor and how I am a terrible person for wanting to understand why people don't try or care. If the opportunity to do something great and benefit hundreds of people why piss all of that away because you want to party or because reading is hard, or because college requires effort. maybe it is where I live, but it seems that those who don't try/don't care out weigh those of us who do. It has made me a little Jaded and im sorry I sound like a dick in this post.

my point is why don't they try harder? I am a firm believer that if you put your mind to it you can achieve it. In my opinion laziness of the mind is the worst kind of stupidity. if a person is a fully functioning member of society they have the potential to do anything, but on that same note if you cannot pass the same class 4 times the only person you can blame for your stupidity is you. Its frustrating because I see all these people with the potential to be incredibly intelligent, yet they choose not to try. If you can read and gain knowledge to help others and you choose not to because it would require effort... I mean honestly... I know you guys are going to throw out personal attacks about how I shouldn't be a doctor and how I am a terrible person for wanting to understand why people don't try or care. If the opportunity to do something great and benefit hundreds of people why piss all of that away because you want to party or because reading is hard, or because college requires effort. maybe it is where I live, but it seems that those who don't try/don't care out weigh those of us who do. It has made me a little Jaded and im sorry I sound like a dick in this post.

Plenty of people try very hard but still cannot do well in, for example, orgo or physics. Oh well. It doesn't mean they were out partying their life away or that they don't care. And it certainly doesn't mean they're stupid or shouldn't be doctors. People under perform for various, various reasons, trying to generalize that they're all stupid and lazy is stupid and lazy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my point is why don't they try harder?

Okay, I'll take the bait and give a serious answer.....

Look at our public highschools. You can get through without doing any work because teachers are afraid of failing anybody (because it makes their own record look bad). Take those kids who have never done homework/studying in their lives, throw them into college where 'pre-med' is supposed to be prestigious (because it impresses your parents) and failure is less an option than a foregone fact.

^Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone who went to public school, but it sure accounts for a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you throw a 90 MPH fast ball? Sketch a person in charcoal? No? Why can't you simply try harder?

Reactions: 53 users

There are a lot of premeds who go out and party and fail exams at my university. It's not my problem that they don't want to put in the effort. These people you talk about will wake up one day and realize their mistakes/failures. I think you really have to let this go, man. Some people just honestly do not want to put the blood, sweat and tears into premedicine.

There are a lot of premeds who go out and party and fail exams at my university. It's not my problem that they don't want to put in the effort. These people you talk about will wake up one day and realize their mistakes/failures. I think you really have to let this go, man. Some people just honestly do not want to put the blood, sweat and tears into premedicine.

Can we please not use the term "premedicine"? This isn't a field. We're just undergrads. Also we're not artists, or star athletes or anything. We're just reasonably intelligent people who are good at tests and want to help people. So much melodrama.

Can we please not use the term "premedicine"? This isn't a field. We're just undergrads. Also we're not artists, or star athletes or anything. We're just reasonably intelligent people who are good at tests and want to help people. So much melodrama.

Yes, sir!

Plenty of people try very hard but still cannot do well in, for example, orgo or physics. Oh well. It doesn't mean they were out partying their life away or that they don't care. And it certainly doesn't mean they're stupid or shouldn't be doctors. People under perform for various, various reasons, trying to generalize that they're all stupid and lazy is stupid and lazy.
but clearly if they try harder they can. many of them that I have spoken to would rather not study, read, memorize formulas etc. and try to cram 2 nights before and expect an A. Then, they trash a good professor because they didn't study. I mean so many of those people are in my biology class the dept. is forcing the professor to resign after this semester because they band together in groups of 10-15 and storm the deans office multiple times every semester because her tests are challenging them to think on a college level. tell me how people like that are not lazy. how is that not voluntary ignorance? that population I just described is 90% of the premeds at my university.

This. One of my mentors confided in me that he got a D in physics 2 in college and had to re-take it. he's a cardiothoracic surgeon now.

but clearly if they try harder they can. many of them that I have spoken to would rather not study, read, memorize formulas etc. and try to cram 2 nights before and expect an A. Then, they trash a good professor because they didn't study. I mean so many of those people are in my biology class the dept. is forcing the professor to resign after this semester because they band together in groups of 10-15 and storm the deans office multiple times every semester because her tests are challenging them to think on a college level. tell me how people like that are not lazy. how is that not voluntary ignorance? that population I just described is 90% of the premeds at my university.

ok, but you're still generalizing. Yes there are people who don't try very hard, but there are also people who give it all they've got and still cannot succeed in a class. What you're saying is that anyone can do anything if they just try hard enough. That's ridiculously silly. You're telling me anyone, if they try hard enough, could get a 4.0 in biomedical engineering? or in mathematics or in English literature? Stop assuming everyone is lazy. There are natural limits to what each of us can accomplish, and that is fine. And guess what, the few people from your anecdotes are not representative of premeds in general. Your university is not representative of premeds in general.

Reactions: 2 users

Everyone has different priorities. Grades are not the only metric to judge an individual's intelligence. Pre-med may not be the right path for these people because it requires high grades, but it doesn't mean they're all idiots.

"Dr. Biology"

Jokes on you, biology isn't even a hard science.

If you were Dr.Physics, then you might have had my attention

Reactions: 13 users
If you can't stand your peers getting Cs or Ds, how in the world do you expect do deal with patients? Not to be mean but patients consist of the general public. If a patient doesn't understand how they developed type 2 diabetes are you just going to tell them to figure it out or try harder?

Reactions: 10 users
"Dr. Biology"

Jokes on you, biology isn't even a hard science.

If you were Dr.Physics, then you might have had my attention

There's actually quite a lot of physics in biology.

It is painfully easy to troll on SDN

Reactions: 10 users
Also.... Learn how to spell intelligence if you're going to rip on people who don't have it

How do you deal with pure idiocy in your peers? (sorry if this post offends anyone. these opinions are based on numerous interactions and obeservations at my university)

I don't understand why this bothers you to such an extent that you felt the need to go post on a forum. You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Next time that ditsy chem girl talks to you just smile and indulge her comical advice - I think people that like are absolutely hilarious and I love letting them tell me what they think I should do. After all, if 90% of these people are really as dumb as you say, it'll be that much easier for you to make A's in your classes and get into medical school.

50% of the population has an I.Q. Below the average of 100. That means 1 out of every 2 pre-med students has a below average intelligence

This quote proves you're in the below average population.................

Last edited:
Strong flame thread.

Humble-Pie.jpg

This one is on me man. Enjoy!

OP, have you ever been involved in anything at all? Like a sport?

Not everyone does well at a given thing.

how are so many premeds so unintellegent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth is, a majority of the population could not complete a bachelor of science if their life depended on it. Not sure why the OP is surprised.

Instead of a being a pretentious (insert word of your choosing here) about it, why do you not educate them properly? You can call people stupid all you want, but if you aren't doing anything to change that, then why complain? If you attempted to point them in the right direction and they refused, I could understand that. That to me is stupidity. But being uninformed? That isn't stupidity. Lacking the capacity to accept a change in one's paradigm is.

Accurate!

Where did you get this silly idea from?

I'm a Grade A idiot. Me trying to say scientific words/concepts results in me saying stuff like "So like, this thing right here, does this action or whatever, and like.....it's good and stuff ya know what I mean?"

Also, cheating to do well is so lame. Those are usually from those uggo freaks(aka pizza face) who obsess over a 4.0 and who aren't chill, laid back peeps.

They have the potential, but that's very idealistic. People hit reality sooner or later. Just because you want to be the best at something, doesn't mean it'll ever happen. Not everyone has the potential to be good at something for simply "trying."

Also, remember your audience. Some people go to college to have fun, to learn about themselves, to some, education is secondary.

To be fair, reading is kinda hard. Thankfully, Reader Rabbit showed me the way to glory :)

Wow! Y'all should get married.
Don't encourage them. We don't need toddlers gunning to be the best in their pre-school.

This school is apple sauce deflationary! Would not recommend.