how are so many premeds so unintellegent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP have you ever had a gf? They say that 7/10 college males are virgins jus sayin it seems like there might be a correlation or maybe not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I refuse to send my kid to some overpriced, hyper left wing school just to have him major in finger painting.
Oh please. They concentrate, they do not major. What do you think this is, some pleb-tier public kindergarden?

Reactions: 1 users
I refuse to send my kid to some overpriced, hyper left wing school just to have him major in finger painting.

Don't fret, a survey we paid for has assured us that finger-painting is a highly desirable pre-school major for elementary school admissions. It shows the applicant is well-rounded and creative. After all, they have the rest of their life to specialize! They should enjoy and branch it in their brief 2.5 years of unburdened existence before they come to the inevitable realization that every choice they make is either an illusion or unacceptable.

Reactions: 6 users
Oh please. They concentrate, they do not major. What do you think this is, some pleb-tier public kindergarden?
I don't care if they major, concentrate or meditate, I'm not putting my kid in that commie cesspool.

^ My Little Pony fan and a premed. Don't think you're going to be having kids any time soon

Reactions: 8 users
I don't care if they major, concentrate or meditate, I'm not putting my kid in that commie cesspool.
Unless you plan on living in Florida, don't worry so much about it.

OP cannot spell, most average people CAN get a B.S. in something (c'mon, an average brain has huge action potential...sorry, pun intended), and this thread is stupid. OP, I would expect a gunner such as yourself to be jumping for joy that your competition is "unintellegent."

Ouch. Bashing a brony. When has that ever happened before?

yeah you guys don't deserve it
489639a643993f96f8f4d427a96d33b5.jpg

Cringe.+So+Cringe_0229ea_4924462.jpg

dMZ0rRl.jpg

wait... never mind
2450994-9258833253-13928.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Your troll is showing.

I'm guessing you're a guy who also happens to be a feminist. Good for you man
I see what you did there. You know? 'Cause I used that sentence before.

Not particularly. I've never researched their philosophy. If the idea that a woman can fill the same roles a man can, and visa versa, biologically distinct activities not included, then I guess I would be a feminist.

I see what you did there. You know? 'Cause I used that sentence before.

Not particularly. I've never researched their philosophy. If the idea that a woman can fill the same roles a man can, and visa versa, biologically distinct activities not included, then I guess I would be a feminist.

No, that would make you a proponent of women's rights. For someone using big terms like "binary gender" you sure don't know a lot, huh? Tone down the pretentiousness a notch or two

mexican-soccer-coach-2.gif

No, that would make you a proponent of women's rights. For someone using big terms like "binary gender" you sure don't know a lot, huh? Tone down the pretentiousness a notch or two

mexican-soccer-coach-2.gif
I sort of made up that term just now. My brother is big into that kind of thing and he used some iteration of the term. Why are you getting so defensive? I never insulted you. You just jumped on the fact that I like a particular TV show.

I sort of made up that term just now. My brother is big into that kind of thing and he used some iteration of the term. Why are you getting so defensive? I never insulted you. You just jumped on the fact that I like a particular TV show.

did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-927.gif

ok, but you're still generalizing. Yes there are people who don't try very hard, but there are also people who give it all they've got and still cannot succeed in a class. What you're saying is that anyone can do anything if they just try hard enough. That's ridiculously silly. You're telling me anyone, if they try hard enough, could get a 4.0 in biomedical engineering? or in mathematics or in English literature? Stop assuming everyone is lazy. There are natural limits to what each of us can accomplish, and that is fine. And guess what, the few people from your anecdotes are not representative of premeds in general. Your university is not representative of premeds in general.
still,
Accurate!
Wow! Y'all should get married.
hey uh... Purple Love, what are you doing later?:naughty:

I mean sure there are lots of us who are naturally smart, work very hard, or even know how to cheat and do well in classes, but there are so many pre-med students that are SOOOOOO dumb... Like they cant make above a 50 on a biology or chemistry test, but are convinced they will get in medicine is the career for them. I even had a girl who was in her 4th time in gen chem 1 try to convince me I had to take a graduate level anatomy course as a pre requisite to med school.... I was just listening to her talk about how she is finally gonna pass with a D in chemistry and I was thinking "wow your a person?! I feel you need to be walked home so you don't walk out into traffic a get hit by a bus!" How do you deal with pure idiocy in your peers? (sorry if this post offends anyone. these opinions are based on numerous interactions and obeservations at my university)

You mean like someone who puts "Dr." as part of their username, when they're still obviously a premed?

I love this forum, all it takes is a few misspelled words and a dash of generalization...pure entertainment for hours. You guys should really be more observant.

I love this forum, all it takes is a few misspelled words and a dash of generalization...pure entertainment for hours. You guys should really be more observant.

No, your lack of cogent and coherent thought is another reason we're laughing at you.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean sure there are lots of us who are naturally smart, work very hard, or even know how to cheat and do well in classes, but there are so many pre-med students that are SOOOOOO dumb... Like they cant make above a 50 on a biology or chemistry test, but are convinced they will get in medicine is the career for them. I even had a girl who was in her 4th time in gen chem 1 try to convince me I had to take a graduate level anatomy course as a pre requisite to med school.... I was just listening to her talk about how she is finally gonna pass with a D in chemistry and I was thinking "wow your a person?! I feel you need to be walked home so you don't walk out into traffic a get hit by a bus!" How do you deal with pure idiocy in your peers? (sorry if this post offends anyone. these opinions are based on numerous interactions and obeservations at my university)

Wow OP, you sound irritated. No worries though, because the people you describe will mostly eliminate themselves. Remember to focus on what matters most to you, which probably isn't them, beyond a little venting. Be glad you're not in a class full of smart people on a curve. Remember patience and intrapersonal intelligence are key to winning the war instead of just the battle.

There's a lot of people that have been told they are super smart, talented snowflakes that could be anything they want their whole lives without actually having to work all that hard for praise and recognition. These kids figure that is just how life is, they show up, get an A for attendance, then repeat ad nauseum until they are in the career of their dreams. Many of these kids have fantasies of money and excitement and drama, things that medicine can supposedly give them, or so their TVs claim. Plus doctors are supposedly exceptional, and they are supposedly also exceptional, so medicine just totally makes sense, amirite? This whole fantasy starts to fall apart in the freshman courses, where just showing up and not studying won't cut it anymore. Many of them learn and correct their behavior, but many more either keep trying to live the "I'm special by virtue of existing" fantasy and bomb multiple courses or semesters, or realize that they aren't so talented after all and science is a lot of hard work, so maybe they'll just switch to the liberal arts instead. So many of them aren't stupid, they've just been given an unrealistic assessment of how well their current abilities and knowledge will carry them through life. Some eventually learn, others don't.

Then there's some people who aren't stupid, but just have trouble with certain concepts or types of learning. I'm terrible at physics, for example. Sure, I can work the equations and understand many of the concepts, but something about the more abstract parts of physics just doesn't click for my brain at all. I'm also pretty terrible at bulk memorization- give me a list of 50 things to memorize, and I'll probably still be staring at it on my death bed. For me, memorization without an underlying concept to tie everything I am memorizing together is all but impossible. I have found ways to work around my flaws, but for some people, the way in which they acquire and process information may never allow them to excel in their premedical studies. Maybe they're great at memorization and math but awful at conceptualization- goodbye orgo II. Or they are great at math and memorization but terrible with applying things conceptually (a death sentence in physics). This doesn't mean they are dumb, nor that they would be terrible physicians if given the chance. Their brain just works in a way that makes processing the material more difficult them. But, due to the way in which we currently select potential physicians, what it does mean is that they will have to fight one hell of an uphill battle to develop ways to compensate and be up for consideration.

My god do I ramble a lot when I post first thing in the morning.

Call the kettle black...

This list seems bogus lol...
If you're pulling <3.0 in Psych you need to reevaluate your study skills
Self selecting indeed. During undergrad I knew many kids that switched to psychology major to boost the broken GPA they had.

the same thing can be asked about why so many doctors are arrogant, greedy, and have egos so large that a small planet could orbit them? people goin be people.

Self selecting indeed. During undergrad I knew many kids that switched to psychology major to boost the broken GPA they had.
Yeah I thought it was the easiest class I took in college too but still interesting to see how low those listed GPAs were.

Yeah I thought it was the easiest class I took in college too but still interesting to see how low those listed GPAs were.

Guess it wouldn't be SDN without the compulsory detour to bash on psych...:yawn:

Guess it wouldn't be SDN without the compulsory detour to bash on psych...:yawn:

Well at least at my school psych was the back up to psychobio which was the back up for bio which was the back up for the other life sciences lol

"50% of the population has an I.Q. Below the average of 100. That means 1 out of every 2 pre-med students has a below average intelligence."
This bears repeating, that the same person posting this type of message has this as their quote...
:smack:

"50% of the population has an I.Q. Below the average of 100. That means 1 out of every 2 pre-med students has a below average intelligence."
This bears repeating, that the same person posting this type of message has this as their quote...
:smack:

Well I don't think it is that simple. Physicians and medical students don't have an average IQ of 100 as a group. I read a study about IQ and career fields and physicians had an average IQ of almost 130 and were the highest of any field on average.

You have to admit a man liking my little pony is kinda funny.

the same thing can be asked about why so many doctors are arrogant, greedy, and have egos so large that a small planet could orbit them? people goin be people.

I assume this a quotation from your PS.

Reactions: 4 users
but clearly if they try harder they can. many of them that I have spoken to would rather not study, read, memorize formulas etc. and try to cram 2 nights before and expect an A. Then, they trash a good professor because they didn't study. I mean so many of those people are in my biology class the dept. is forcing the professor to resign after this semester because they band together in groups of 10-15 and storm the deans office multiple times every semester because her tests are challenging them to think on a college level. tell me how people like that are not lazy. how is that not voluntary ignorance? that population I just described is 90% of the
premeds at my university.

I hope you realize that, if you successfully matriculate and survive medical training, being constantly frustrated by others' shortcomings and "laziness" will make you miserable in medicine. Combating patient knowledge deficiency and noncompliance will be, if not more, half of your job.

Encourage where you can. Help where you can. Get over the rest or it may kill you.

This kid has been spewing discontent with physicians all over sdn.

I sincerely hope he/she is bold enough to include this in a personal statement.

SMALL planet? you offend me sir

Oh yes, it is odd. But that's been covered ad nauseam and really shouldn't surprise people anymore. I'm also really into Star Trek, martial arts and shotgun sports and fantasy novels.
whoa.jpg

Well I don't think it is that simple. Physicians and medical students don't have an average IQ of 100 as a group. I read a study about IQ and career fields and physicians had an average IQ of almost 130 and were the highest of any field on average.

Yeah, I read that too. Except I also noticed that it wasn't based on empirical data, but on an approximation made by the author.

nah, bit too controversial to question the establishment considering that they establishment will be the ones interviewing.

Don't be such a sellout, man.

lmao, Imagine being an older male from a privileged background who is a doctor and the system has worked well for. Then imagine interviewing a student who wants to change the establishment and the status quo, it ain't gonna fly. I'm all about standing for my beliefs, but doing so in this case would have very little or no benefit. Even if my closet was entirely full of Che Guevera and Rage against the machine t-shirts I'd still slip in a suit and tone things down for them.

No... not everyone is a tryhard premed gunnin for that 4.0. Most college students are totally okay with Bs you know.. Dont be so pretentious?

lmao, Imagine being an older male from a privileged background who is a doctor and the system has worked well for. Then imagine interviewing a student who wants to change the establishment and the status quo, it ain't gonna fly. I'm all about standing for my beliefs, but doing so in this case would have very little or no benefit. Even if my closet was entirely full of Che Guevera and Rage against the machine t-shirts I'd still slip in a suit and tone things down for them.

Huh?

Disclaimer: I didn't really read the previous page, so I apologize if this comment is irrelevant and makes no sense.

No one expects you to completely agree with the way our current healthcare system functions ('the establishment' ?) There are things that work, things that could be better, and things that just don't work. If you have things to say then say them. I would rather accept a candidate whose striving to improve the system than someone who passively sits there and accepts everything as it is because he thinks that's what the interviewer wants to hear. I would want an innovative student whose ready to tackle today's challenges. If you have beliefs then stand up for them. Just be respectful.