How Are These Ideas For "Obstacle Overcome" Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am trying to write the essay about an obstacle I've overcome and what I learned and how I coped with it. I was wondering how these ideas?

1. I grew up and lived in the same town throughout my entire childhood (birth to age 18), and I ended up going to college across the country (2,000+ miles away). So in addition to living on my own for the first time, I was in a completely new place. Basically, moving out there and getting adjusted to the new environment was pretty challenging. I feel like I grew from that experience and I can talk about that, and there were different coping methods that I used that I could talk about.

2. During my junior year of college, I studied abroad in a country where I initially did not know about the language at all. This was also my first time alone in a foreign country. While this is a more foreign environment than in #1, I already had experience living on my own for 3 years, so I feel like this might not seem as much of a challenge (and to be honest it wasn't as big). Another con to this is that I mention this experience in my diversity essay, so if a school asks for the diversity essay in addition to this obstacle question, it would be repetitive. The only main pro I see for this essay is that it is more unique than #1.

3. In one of my clubs, I was an officer, and I did have occasional challenges with my position. Nothing major, but they were still obstacles nonetheless. I can talk about the coping methods I used, but not much about what I learned or how I grew. I feel like I have less to talk about here. Also, I find myself talking about this club in a lot of other places (diversity essay, AMCAS personal statement, and most meaningful experience on AMCAS), so I feel like I should not write about this club again.

4. I was robbed during college, losing a lot of valuable stuff in the process, and I was at risk of having my identity stolen. It was difficult sorting out the mess, filing a police report, and figuring out how to protect my identity and move on. There are several coping methods I used here as well. Could I talk about this?

Any ideas on what you guys think? I'm currently leaning towards #1, but I would like some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of the three #1 is what I would choose, although I honestly would choose a different kind of obstacle. I would think of something specific during one if the scenarios instead maybe. I myself used a chemistry exam I bombed once as an obstacle I learned from. It very specific and not so generic like many essays, but that is just my opinion. As long as you get get specific about how the experience was an obstacle and prepared you for a life in medicine then much better.

I see. I guess if I were to get more specific, I would talk about the Welcome Week in particular. I would discuss how everyone else already seemed to other people and was happy while I did not know anybody and was very far away from home in a completely new environment with no knowledge of where anything was in LA or California (as opposed to most of the other students who had lived in California their entire lives).

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think overcoming a language barrier, as in #2, is your best bet. You'll be treating patients who don't speak English, and understanding the difficulties they face in accessing healthcare is a huge plus. Many people move cross-country for college and make that adjustment, but very few people understand how alienating it can be to move to a place where you don't understand the culture or language; that's what Mexican-Americans deal with every day, and it's definitely a good topic for an essay.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I think overcoming a language barrier, as in #2, is your best bet. You'll be treating patients who don't speak English, and understanding the difficulties they face in accessing healthcare is a huge plus. Many people move cross-country for college and make that adjustment, but very few people understand how alienating it can be to move to a place where you don't understand the culture or language; that's what Mexican-Americans deal with every day, and it's definitely a good topic for an essay.

I agree that's a really good thing to talk about. However, I've actually already written exactly what you mentioned in my diversity essay, so I don't want to repeat that in here. Especially because after looking through the school-specific secondary threads, there are some schools that ask for both the diversity essay and the obstacle overcome essay.

I came up with another idea. I was robbed during my freshman year, losing a lot of valuable stuff in the process, and I was at risk of having my identity stolen. It was difficult sorting out the mess, filing a police report, and figuring out how to protect my identity and move on. There are several coping methods I used here as well. Could I talk about this?

I would go with #1 or #4. #1 is probably most relatable to adjusting to med school, and personally that's the one I would go with. #2 is good, but if you talk about it in the diversity essay, don't talk about it in the obstacle essay.

Pitt, right? :D

#1-3 is good. #4, is not as "medically" relevant and doesn't show off your background or ECs. remember it's how you write, not what you write that's important. don't think too much about it.

#1-3 is good. #4, is not as "medically" relevant and doesn't show off your background or ECs. remember it's how you write, not what you write that's important. don't think too much about it.

Doesn't need to be medically relevant or related to your ECs. It's meant to see how you cope with an obstacle.

I would go with #1 or #4. #1 is probably most relatable to adjusting to med school, and personally that's the one I would go with. #2 is good, but if you talk about it in the diversity essay, don't talk about it in the obstacle essay.

Pitt, right? :D

Yep, Pitt is one of them :laugh:

Right now I'm debating between 1 and 4. I don't think either one is medically relevant in the sense that I would talk about ECs. They were both stressful situations, and I learned a good amount from them. I'm just wondering which topic would make for a more compelling essay. #1 is less unique, but #4 might show a bit of carelessness on my part (which IMO is bad).

Yep, Pitt is one of them :laugh:

Right now I'm debating between 1 and 4. I don't think either one is medically relevant in the sense that I would talk about ECs. They were both stressful situations, and I learned a good amount from them. I'm just wondering which topic would make for a more compelling essay. #1 is less unique, but #4 might show a bit of carelessness on my part (which IMO is bad).

You can make anything sound compelling if you are a good writer. My vote is still idea #1.