How are YOU going to adapt to somewhere new and far away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pls accept me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I leave for the mysterious void, I'll...

1. Setup a program so that I can wake up to a Socal music station.
2. Invite the lab cooking buddies for a massive cooking session. Freeze enough home cooking to supplement a sandwich diet for 4 months.

Roll in the ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

ummm... I'll be leaving Maryland behind with whoops of joy. No coping strategies necessary.

First, I will make sure that there is plentiful antelope herds nearby. Then I will look for places where there is fresh water and fields for planting vegetables, and a forest so I will have wood enough to build a house.

Members don't see this ad :)
RxnMan said:
First, I will make sure that there is plentiful antelope herds nearby. Then I will look for places where there is fresh water and fields for planting vegetables, and a forest so I will have wood enough to build a house.
:laugh:

I plan to become reclusive, grow a beard and always look around nervously. I also plan on giving up on hygiene. Basically, I plan on becoming the "crazy man who lives by himself" to ward off any attempts from others to socialize with me.

Thundrstorm said:
ummm... I'll be leaving Maryland behind with whoops of joy. No coping strategies necessary.
Doesn't Maryland have crabs and the ocean?

pls accept me said:
Doesn't Maryland have crabs and the ocean?
I'm allergic to crabs. And dude, have you ever been to Ocean City?

If I leave for Iowa City (from Denver) I will:

1. Get a "frequent eaters" card at the Iowa Machine Shed. I will go there every Saturday morning for the "Pork Producers Special." (eggs, ham, sausage, and 1/2 kielbasa)

2. I will quickly assert my midwestern prowess by referring to pigs as "hogs," per dbhvt's suggestion.

3. I will say "hi" to everyone I look at on the street.

4. I will get season tickets to Hawkeye football.

5. I will say things like "Iowa City: it's really a suburb of Chicago" or "Iowa City: we get great musci through here."

Whoaaa! Machine Shed! Which one? Dubuque or Des Moines???? I will go with you anytime! I eat at the Des Moines one all the time when I visit my rents. I prefer the Heartland scramble though (smoked ham and sausage) for breakfast. Good to know fellow pre-M1s like good food.

gdbaby said:

1. Get a "frequent eaters" card at the Iowa Machine Shed. I will go there every Saturday morning for the "Pork Producers Special." (eggs, ham, sausage, and 1/2 kielbasa)

2. I will quickly assert my midwestern prowess by referring to pigs as "hogs," per dbhvt's suggestion.

5. I will say things like "Iowa City: it's really a suburb of Chicago" or "Iowa City: we get great musci through here."

A. Take bunch of pics of family and my home town

B. Blow the pics up into posters

C. Put them up all over my room/aprt/home

D. Leave my 'safe place' (see C) only for academic reasons :D

Edit: I am actually looking forward to winter w/ snow! Yipee!

baseball37 said:
Whoaaa! Machine Shed! Which one? Dubuque or Des Moines???? I will go with you anytime! I eat at the Des Moines one all the time when I visit my rents. I prefer the Heartland scramble though (smoked ham and sausage) for breakfast. Good to know fellow pre-M1s like good food.
Oooh, I was thinking of Davenport. That's only 60 miles away--well worth the drive! Care to split a cinnamon roll?

I'll actually use those heavy sweaters I've gotten as gifts over the past few years. Not much need for them in atl.

I'm going to cry until the tears in my eyes look like the beautiful pacific I'm leaving behind. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
Oooh, I was thinking of Davenport. That's only 60 miles away--well worth the drive! Care to split a cinnamon roll?

Yeah I will split one. Those things are huge!

Ha, I will be OVERJOYED to leave my current location. I do not want to spend one more year in this city (and this state) than I have to.

baseball37 said:
Yeah I will split one. Those things are huge!
Sweeeet. You are moving into the "Pro" column of my pros and cons of Iowa v. Colorado.

pls accept me said:

2. Invite the lab cooking buddies for a massive cooking session. Freeze enough home cooking to supplement a sandwich diet for 4 months.

Roll in the ideas!

YAY for KROQ streaming

pls accept me said:

Roll in the ideas!

hey what station from socal?

I know the hip hop stations out here in philly are much better than back home in los angeles

but there is nothing like KROQ

To go to Chicago from socal I will:

1) Buy a jacket. Maybe lots of jackets.

2) Teach myself how to wear shoes other than my rainbow sandals.

3) Start learning the art of deep dish pizza toppings being on the inside!

4) Buy a Cubs hat (sorry, the Sox got crap wins over my Angels last year)

5) Wear my Angels hat even though I have a Cubs hat.

6) Buy another jacket

:D

RayhanS1282 said:
I plan to become reclusive, grow a beard and always look around nervously. I also plan on giving up on hygiene. Basically, I plan on becoming the "crazy man who lives by himself" to ward off any attempts from others to socialize with me.

RayhanS, I enjoy your mdapp commentary...you should get an acceptance just for that. Oh, and westchester ain't that bad.

If I must move to Ohio from Colorado, I will tape a picture of the rocky mountains to the west wall of every room in my house so I can keep my sense of direction.

i'm gonna make the best of those first few weeks when everyone is new and excited and open to new friendships. otherwise (if i don't make good and real friends), i swear to god i'll die.

quit sdn cold turkey and start socializing more. i swear, the number one killer of pre-med/med students is brain damage from staring at a comp screen for far too long, answering polls, asking for/giving advice, checking on the status of schools X Y and Z. i need to get laid. :scared:

definitely. i think my computer is my comfort and crutch, which may not be entirely healthy.

by the way, i love the sn, "pls accept me"...nope nope, doesn't imply needy at all! :laugh:

gdbaby said:

5. I will say things like "Iowa City: it's really a suburb of Chicago" or "Iowa City: we get great musci through here.":

Be sure to check out The Lumber Yard in Des Moines. LOL. My friend happened upon Ron Jeremy there and got a photo with him. No joke.

I have already learned to love Republicans :)

I have left my hippie ways behind to live in Alabama!

Except for that I secretly recycle and I don't go to church, mwah ha ha ha ha....

pattayapus said:
definitely. i think my computer is my comfort and crutch, which may not be entirely healthy.

by the way, i love the sn, "pls accept me"...nope nope, doesn't imply needy at all! :laugh:
Yeah, one thing that I use to justify moving far away is my computer. Unlike 15 years ago, it's hard to be lonely nowadays if you can chat with millions of people through the internet. And long distance is cheaper too, so chatting can be an hourly occurance.

riceman04: Yep! It's probably going to be KROQ or 103.1 (if they don't change formats AGAIN).