How are you paying OOS tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh it is the dirty T, but at least it isn't Snobbsdale. ;)
All of the above is still better than NoGo.

Eta: unless you're actually crossing the border. Then Nogales can be fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Give me all the heat and sun. And I mean all the heat and sun. Colorado, Nebraska, and now Illinois...... I've grown to hate snow and cold in a very passionate way. I'm already walking at least an hour a day just so that I get sun (and, of course, it's snowing this weekend....). If I had thought Midwestern would have been a good fit for me (and if I had Organic II), I would have applied in a heart beat.
You want to trade? IM OVER LIVING IN FLORIDA. I want snow. I want the cold. I want to be all bundled up. the vet school is amazing though, so I can't complain about that!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to trade? IM OVER LIVING IN FLORIDA. I want snow. I want the cold. I want to be all bundled up. the vet school is amazing though, so I can't complain about that!

We're from the same city! Small world. I'm also over living in florida, which is why I'm happy to be moving to TN in July.

Reactions: 1 user

Stahp. I'm moving back to Florida in two weeks. I've never been more excited in my life. The only thing better would be going home home.

We're from the same city! Small world. I'm also over living in florida, which is why I'm happy to be moving to TN in July.
I'm actually from the Ft. Lauderdale area, but moved to Jax a little over a year and a half ago for school! But yes!! I'd love to move to TN, that sounds amazing :soexcited:

Stahp. I'm moving back to Florida in two weeks. I've never been more excited in my life. The only thing better would be going home home.
WHYYYY hahah. Jax isn't to bad but South Florida is so brutal, I hate it so much! I like to be able to go outside in the summer and not melt, though I do love going to the pool and the water feels amazing! Where's home for you?

I'm so confused about loans and how they work for vet school. I'm fortunate enough to have my parents paying if I get into my IS and pay half if I get into an OOS. For OOS I've been told I would need to cut ALL ties with my home state, change my car over to that state and everything else to gain residency. (I'm asking mainly for schools that let you switch after a year). I heard that a 'large sum' of money cant be put into a students back account, how would my parents pay if I can't use a bank account from my IS? I also heard my parents wouldn't be able to help pay for my living expenses because the bank account would be from my IS. How does all this work?

I'm so confused about loans and how they work for vet school. I'm fortunate enough to have my parents paying if I get into my IS and pay half if I get into an OOS. For OOS I've been told I would need to cut ALL ties with my home state, change my car over to that state and everything else to gain residency. (I'm asking mainly for schools that let you switch after a year). I heard that a 'large sum' of money cant be put into a students back account, how would my parents pay if I can't use a bank account from my IS? I also heard my parents wouldn't be able to help pay for my living expenses because the bank account would be from my IS. How does all this work?
So I believe the reasoning behind it is because they want you to essentially "prove" to them that you're committed to moving to the state permanently (or semi-permanently) and going to be contributing to that state's taxes etc and so on.

If you open up a bank account in your vet school state, I don't see how you couldn't take a check from your parents and deposit it into that bank account. That would be the easiest way to go about it I think.

Note that I've never actually had to deal with this since I'm IS for MN, so there are probably people floating around here that could give you more firsthand advice.

I always thought it depended on the policies for the school. Some let you convert to IS tuition by doing this, that, and the other... And you're almost guaranteed to get it. Others have really strenuous guidelines such as changing your DL, tons of paperwork, ect. Others only let you have it if you marry a resident. But as kcough said its pretty much to prove you're not just there for school. Even then, some OOS schools, no matter if you become a resident of not, fix your tuition and it cannot be changed. I've signed three forms from my school telling me I cannot have IS tuition for any reason :(

So because of that, I haven't researched residency much. Best thing to do is contact the aid department of the school and ask them. Maybe someone on here from Mizzou, OSU, or NCSU, which do allow you to change residency, can input more about the residency process.

WHYYYY hahah. Jax isn't to bad but South Florida is so brutal, I hate it so much! I like to be able to go outside in the summer and not melt, though I do love going to the pool and the water feels amazing! Where's home for you?
Australia. I'd say NT but I've probably wound up spending more time in SA by now because that's where most of my family is. I lived in Orlando for 13-ish years though. Spending a month in Coral Springs in June :D

Australia. I'd say NT but I've probably wound up spending more time in SA by now because that's where most of my family is. I lived in Orlando for 13-ish years though. Spending a month in Coral Springs in June :D
NO WAY OMG. I went to Coral Springs High School!!! What a small world!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No way! We should have a Florida SDN meet up. @dyachei lives/works in FL, too, I believe.
Florida SDN meet up would be awesome! I'm in Jax now, but I lived in Coral Springs for 20 years!! Nobody really knows Coral Springs so I get excited when someone does!!

Floridans and Arizonans should have SDN meet ups. If you need me I'll be in LA alllll byyyy myselffff...

Reactions: 1 users
I heard you were moving to Mississippi ;) And don't feel too bad. I'm in MN so the only one up here with me is LIS... 'nuff said ;)

I still see no Mississippians!! Lol. I don't imagine it could be that bad to have LIS around... Unless you have children. Just don't let them near the white van! :laugh:

Giving AZ some more love! But I thrive in the heat so I belong here. I can hike in 100+ degree weather, but am completely useless below 70.

There are parts of nearly every area that I hate, but usually more parts that I love. I grew up in Mesa and wasn't a fan but I love Gilbert, Chandler, and Queen Creek where I'm at now. It's growing and getting better.

I love all the lakes, salt river, mountains and hiking spots. I love sports games and how big people get into them here.

I also love monsoon season, but it's great that we don't have to deal with that all year. I have family in rainy states and it feels like they can't ever plan anything outside.