Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

How bad do Withdrawals look on your transcript?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by AME416, 04.20.10.

1. Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. AME416

AME416

Pre-Pharmacy

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Got a couple from my CC on my transcript, bit off more than I could chew trying to juggle school & work=/
  2. PharmEXP

PharmEXP Accepted Pharmacy Student

Not as bad as D's, E's and F's. I have 3 W's on my transcript and I got into pharmacy school with ~6 C's/C+'s. However, I attended UF for undergrad, so W's might be worse coming from a CC.

BTW, this topic has been covered in this forum*. Use the search function and you will find a lot of feedback.
    Last edited: 04.20.10
  3. ArkansasRanger

ArkansasRanger

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've got two from undergrad and one from grad school. I'm not sweating it.
  4. 297point1

297point1 5 years of this $#!+?

Academic Administration
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    A W is better than a D or an F.

Just don't collect too many of them...
  5. DASicari

DASicari

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I had two W's and was never asked about it. I'll be attending USC in the fall.
  6. elevenphoenix

elevenphoenix fresh grad dying for tips on NAPLEX. HELP :(.

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Eh, I had a few W's here and there...stuff happens and you end up having to drop the class. I think as long as you don't have excessive W's or WF's you're fine.
  7. Pharmacist Zoom

Pharmacist Zoom

Pre-Pharmacy
    Good thing Pharmcas doesn't count W's while calculating your GPA so doesn't really matter until u have a whole lot of them:D
  8. ArkansasRanger

ArkansasRanger

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How would a W ever be counted on your transcript?
  9. Passion4Sci

Passion4Sci LML Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    NCPA SDN 2+ Year Member
    Numerically, such as, "3 Ws" reported? Trying to devil's advocate this. LOL.
  10. ArkansasRanger

ArkansasRanger

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lol
  11. iBeast

iBeast

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Take the W if your not going to get a at least a B. Important thing is to put it behind you and move on.
  12. gator09

gator09 Accepted Pharmacy Student

My advice is to just worry about what you take out of the class. Even if you make a few C's here and there make sure you truly understand concepts from the prereq courses. You will do awesome on PCAT if you do this, which most schools tend to weigh more heavily on as it compares you with everyone throughout the United States.

I have 4 W's and I still got accepted to one of the two school I applied to. You will be asked about W's in interviews so make sure you tell them the HONEST truth as to why you got them. Explain what measures you have taken to prevent it from happening again..
    For example say you turned 21 and went out drinking a lot. Tell them. Tell them you made immature decisions and learned from it. It's good to show you are capable of self-assessment.
  13. Dezixn

Dezixn

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm surprised how everyone is so accepting of W's.

I would panic if I had to get a W.
  14. holymolys

holymolys

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i have a W on something that isnt related to pre-reqs or even my major, no one asked me about that, i only went to that class for like 3 weeks
  15. TheAppsScareMe

TheAppsScareMe

Pre-Pharmacy
    I had a W and 5 C's, but I still got into the 4 schools i interviewed at and declined 4 other interview invites. You'll be fine :)
  16. prepharm0890

prepharm0890

Pre-Pharmacy
    i have 5 W's and a couple of C's, but im planning to retake the classes that i had c's in, will that give me a better chance if i get A's to be accepted into pharmacy school?
  17. delano2000

delano2000 D-Mod likes to parTAY Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacist NCPA SDN 10+ Year Member
    I have about 8-9 Ws on my transcripts but most of those came from having to drop an entire semester 3/4 way through due to a family emergency and unforeseen circumstances. I still got into pharm school. I did explain the Ws though in my supp app so there was no need for them to ask me about it in the interview. No Cs here.
  18. ugadawg74

ugadawg74

I got accepted to UGA which is a top 25 pharm school with 6 W's, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
  19. delano2000

delano2000 D-Mod likes to parTAY Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacist NCPA SDN 10+ Year Member

There is no real ranking when it comes to pharmacy schools.
  20. ugadawg74

ugadawg74

true... don't even know what these rankings are based on... just says a number scale from 1 to 5
  21. onehot

onehot New Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    depends on which schools you are applying to; those schools that do academic forgiveness don't look at W's, some do.
  22. Electrode

Electrode

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Maybe, netting good grades from your previous withdrawals override any potential -ve effect. I wouldn't know, just a speculation.

Usually, they require some sort of explanation for it, which I don't think is that much of a big deal. Unless you accumulate excess W's - like 3 for every semester you've been to. But is that even possible?
  23. MountainKing

MountainKing

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have 14 W's from just signing up for classes and not going basically. I'll let you know how my applications go. :xf:
  24. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor Partner Organization

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Partner SDN Published Author NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 7+ Year Member
    I had 4 or 5 Ws I think. No one ever asked me about them at either school I've attended. I doubt schools would ever screen based on Ws unless there were other serious red flags on the transcripts.
  25. Lagunatic

Lagunatic ^_^

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I took a multi-variable calculus course after college for further math interest but it turned out, not to be that interesting and I withdrawled. Do I need to talk about this and do I need to get a transcript if it was the only course I took at that college?

I would assume I don't need to talk about it but I should still include it in my application. Just asking for reassurance.
  26. MeowMeowCAT

MeowMeowCAT

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You will probably need the transcript, just because it's part of your post-high school academic record at this point, and that usually follows you with every application from college to college until...pretty much, forever. :laugh:

As for talking about it, if asked, it's your word against their' as far as the reason for the W. You can be honest and simply admit that you lacked interest in that class, and wanted to instead focus on other classes, work, etc. Basically, as long as you do not say "I withdrew because I was failing", any excuse for a W is very often okay.
    Last edited: 04.26.11

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal