How bad does a W look on my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

):(

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am within an inch of dropping my English class. I have spend hours researching these stupid topics and I still cannot write a sentence about it because the instructor is asking for too much. This is my third quarter of my freshman year, how bad will this look on my transcript, especially since my GPA is at a dismal 3.4.

Members don't see this ad.

):( said:
I am within an inch of dropping my English class. I have spend hours researching these stupid topics and I still cannot write a sentence about it because the instructor is asking for too much. This is my third quarter of my freshman year, how bad will this look on my transcript, especially since my GPA is at a dismal 3.4.

Ummm... I think if you have a W because you can't handle a course, it is looked down upon. However, if you have another reason to withdraw, its not that big of a deal. If you do withdraw from a course you can't handle and retake it, it doesn't mean your out of the game, but will make it a bit more difficult. English is a requirement to get into most med schools so you will have to retake it if you withdraw.

I withdrew from a course because I was already taking three upper level engineering courses and one more was too much for me. I completely forgot about it until I saw this thread. I don't think anyone had ever asked me about it so *shrug*, as long as everything else is ok and it doesn't look like you just couldn't shuck it at the course or some other damning evidence, then it's ok.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the 'W' I got was not one of those premed prereqs, so make sure it's not one of those vital courses (or if it is, make sure there is proof that you had a legitmate reason).

Members don't see this ad :)

of course we would all recommend against withdrawing if possible, but i personally think a W looks a lot better than an F. adcomms also like it when there's an upward trend in your gpa throughout the years, so don't stress too much if you have a little glitch your freshman year.

I think you have to worry more about a poor grade affecting your GPA than a W. I withdrew from a number of courses (5) and three were even premed courses (ochem 2 and biology). While I am sure this affected my application at some schools, 4 of the 5 Ws were in my first 2 years, and a marked improvement in my gpa jr and sr years helped me explain(3.0 vs 3.8). I simply spoke of the adjusting to college and maturing process I underwent and in the long run things worked out. What I'm saying is that one or two Ws will not kill your chances of going to a good school (I'm going to Case unless I get into Pitt off the alternate list) you just need to be sure you work harder after that and explain/address the Ws when applying to schools (either in your PS or be sure to bring it up in another essay or during the interview, they give you plenty of opportunities to). Goodluck

W is better than a bad C+ or worse. Esp if you're only a lowly froshie ;)

I withdrew from P0S 160 Global politics my freshman year (long story, was doing fine in the class, couldn't look the teacher in the eye without wanting to kick him in the shins)

i withdrew from physics one semester because of my work schedule changing (gotta eat)

and I withdrew from ballroom dancing after injuring myself! (stupid partner dropped me. growl)

No problems at all. No one asked me to explain, and i didn't bother explaining any of them on my transcripts. Most of the time no one will ask unless W's become a trend. stuff happens. as long as you're passing and it doesn't show up as a Withdraw Fail, then it could be a number of things. IF you're going to fail or are close to it, its better to get out and just retake it and get an A. A 3.4 gpa isn't bad and can be raised easily since you're just a freshman. i think you're allright. do what will be best for your gpa. if that's a W, take the W. its better then dragging down your overall gpa. good luck

I'm taking calculus II and chemistry II with this english class plus a biology seminar. A total of 17 credits... is it reasonable to say I was an immature freshmen who took too many hard credits in one quarter?

C'mon, you're already in your third quarter of the class -- just finish it up. If you withdraw you'll just have to retake it. It can't be that big a deal -- doesn't your school have a writing center where you can go for help?

Freshman? Well, it's awesome that you are already somewhat aware of what you need to be doing to get into med school, but don't kill yourself worrying about it just yet. If you're gonna get less than a "B" and you think you can do better next time, then I say drop. Otherwise, stick it out. You are already this far and you might surprise yourself.

As far as admissions go, I had two W's, and was asked about them in several interviews. Honestly, it's not good, but it is easily forgiven if you are a good applicant. BTW, I am still waiting to hear from two of those schools. Hope that helps.

P.S. Have fun. Get drunk. You're a freshman, not a neurosurgeon.