How bad does dropping a minor look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZSVDK_HNORC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current Senior, I'm applying this June and I will be graduating December 2015. Right now I have 32 credits left for my major + 6 credits to finish my minor. I'm taking 15 this spring along with MCAT studying. Over the summer I'm taking 5 credits, then next fall I'm either taking an easy 12 credits to finish my major or 18 harder credits to finish my major + minor. I don't think I want a difficult last semester since I should also be dealing with secondaries and interviews next fall. If I space out my credits and take 2 full semesters next year, I will become a part time student and lose my financial aid and I would only have a 2 month break between graduation and med school, both of which I do not want.
I just added my minor last summer, but does dropping it this late in my college career look bad to med schools? If it matters, my major is in sports medicine and my minor is in biomedical sciences, the two tracks also have very similar coursework.

Members don't see this ad.

Literally no one ever cares about a dropped minor. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever. Don't ever think about this again. Just drop it. They don't even know it happened, it doesn't show on your transcript.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I literally dropped six minors. What I ended up with was a bunch of really cool classes, a single major with no minors, and enough credits to have easily double majored. Given I'll eventually be practicing medicine, I personally think learning enough economics to understand the news, enough history to put most world events in context, and enough physics to be bothered by the science in space movies (looking at you, Interstellar) was more useful than learning a whole lot about advanced finance models or advanced number theory just to look a little more impressive on my resume.

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools won't even know about the drop. They will only know what you put in the primary application, which clearly won't be that you had a minor but then dropped it haha. Also, the drop won't be on your transcript unless your school does some crazy stuff. You're all good.

Reactions: 1 user