How bad does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my last semester of P3 year. Up until now, my overall cumulative GPA has been above a 3.7, but this last semester is sort of kicking my ass. As a result, in all likelihood, my GPA for this term may come out to around a 3.0-3.3, somewhere in that neighborhood. I know that grades aren't everything, but I'm worried at how such a drastic drop would look (I'm planning on applying to residencies). Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have nothing to worry about. I had friends get into great residencies with much worse GPA's. Personality, research, extracurricular a lot more important than the difference between a 3.4 and a 3.6.

Members don't see this ad :)
Residencies are overrated. Half my hospital friends are working nice clinical positions without them. Residents do the same thing for half the pay

Residencies are overrated. Half my hospital friends are working nice clinical positions without them. Residents do the same thing for half the pay

This is very tempting to believe. Truthfully, my main reason for attempting a residency, as selfish as this sounds, isn't so much to work in in a strictly clinical position, but to get a non-retail position. I just want a job where I can 1) sit, and 2) get a decent (lunch) break every once in a while :)