How bad is Baltimore...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bi-Molar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who attend UMD or live in/near it, really how unsafe is Baltimore. When I visited it didn't really seem that bad, granted I'm from Miami so I'm used to the city and I wasn't really out at night. I just don't want to spend 4 years at a place I have to be looking over my shoulder at night or limit/be cautious of what I do because it's not safe. I loved the dental school and it's facilities but this has me worried a little.
Appreciate the feedback thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My brother attends the medical school at Johns Hopkins and says that UMD is in a better part of Baltimore. He says that as long as you aren't in a bad neighborhood late at night there isn't much to worry about. Police keep vigilant watch over their student campuses.

Reactions: 2 users
Watch a few seasons of The Wire. The cops on that show really cleaned the city up

Reactions: 1 user
My boyfriend was a teacher in Baltimore Public Schools for 5 years (At the high school where they filmed the prison scenes for The Wire, haha). Worst thing that ever happened to him was someone stole his box of chicken while he was in his school's parking lot eating lunch with his car door open. He didn't feel like his life was in danger, since he was obviously more than willing to give up his lunch without much fuss.
When I lived in Baltimore, I once left my keys in my driver's side door parked right at Patterson Park. At that time I was using a red ribbon to hold my keys together after I had bent/broken a keychain.

tl;dr: Baltimore is no worse than any other major city. I actually quite liked living in Charm City. :)

Reactions: 1 user