About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bad is my AUA in-service exam score

Discussion in 'Urology' started by Knightmd, Feb 21, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Knightmd

Knightmd

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Three months into my pre-Urology year (doing General Surgery), I had to sit for my AUA inservice exam. I scored 30%. So, how bad was it, really?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. bobbyseal

bobbyseal Boat boy

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just show that you're making progress. Next year, study for the exam. Do some of the SASP from the AUA to get ready for the types of questions they ask. By your chief year you want to be above the 50th percentile. It's a good feeling coming into the qualifying exam after residency if you know that you sit above 1/2 the candidates as of the prior November.
  3. Knightmd

Knightmd

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Actually I scored the 100TH PERCENTILE among Pre-Urology residents. My "total" was 30% correct, but among Pre-Urology, I scored the 100th percentile!!! Was just informed by the chief resident.
  4. bobbyseal

bobbyseal Boat boy

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Not to rain on your parade, but a 30% correct raw score isn't that great when by randomly guessing a letter, a through e, you could get 20%. I would say that your 100%tile is likely due to the few numbers of pre urology residents taking the test.

This isn't to say that you're not smart or won't do well on future in service exams. And I honestly hope that next year you will post that your are still in the 99th to 100th percentile of year one uro residents. But, don't be surprised if your peers "catch up". I think I started in the 80-90th percentile as a year one resident (which was essentially 3 months on the uro services) and that percentile slowly went down over the years despite my raw score improving.
  5. juiceman311

juiceman311 Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Something sounds wrong. I scored similarly and was below the 50th percentile. But cookies for you!