How bad is withdrawing from a school I'm waitlisted after an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DangerRoss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This hypothetical situation makes no sense. Why would you withdraw at all? It's not like it costs extra money to sit on a waitlist.

I heard how declining all acceptances to reapply next year could really ruin one's future chances. Now, how bad is withdrawing from a school I'm waitlisted at after an interview? If I withdraw from a school I'm waitlisted at, and if I don't get accepted into any medical school this year, will this be also frowned upon during next cycle by other shcools? In other words, will adcoms at other schools know about my post-interview withdrawal and question my motivation?

the question is..... why would you do that in the first place?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to avoid the situation I just described. My application cycle has not been very successful so far. I have a decent set of stats and I feel that if I work on my EC and research and reapply earlier next cycle, I will have a better shot next year at getting into my top choice schools.

You paid for the application process so you might as well see it through. If you get rejected, so be it. If you get accepted, whether from a waitlist or not, and want to wait a year, well, there's a word for that...defer.

I don't think schools know that you've been waitlisted in the past. Anyhow, a waitlist isn't an acceptance.

*meaning if you don't want to go there then you can withdraw without consequence

You paid for the application process so you might as well see it through. If you get rejected, so be it. If you get accepted, whether from a waitlist or not, and want to wait a year, well, there's a word for that...defer.
But you can't legally apply to others schools while you are in the defer state right?

I don't think schools know that you've been waitlisted in the past. Anyhow, a waitlist isn't an acceptance.

*meaning if you don't want to go there then you can withdraw without consequence
Thanks, it's what I wanted to know.

In other words, will adcoms at other schools know about my post-interview withdrawal and question my motivation?

No. Schools that you reapply to will know that you are a reapplicant (and how close to being accepted you were at their school). Other schools will have no idea.

I have to echo the sentiments of others here though. Is this one of those "I feel that the school to which I might be accepted is 'beneath me' and I could do better"?

I have to echo the sentiments of others here though. Is this one of those "I feel that the school to which I might be accepted is 'beneath me' and I could do better"?

No, it's more like one of those "I want to see how high I can fly." If I apply early with better set of ECs and research experience I can gather over next half year so, and if I still don't get accepted into my dream schools, I'll take whatever I can get, but I'll at least know I tried. Does that answer your question?

No, it's more like one of those "I want to see how high I can fly." If I apply early with better set of ECs and research experience I can gather over next half year so, and if I still don't get accepted into my dream schools, I'll take whatever I can get, but I'll at least know I tried. Does that answer your question?

That sounds exactly the same as what aSagacious just said.

Last edited by a moderator:

So you didn't try this cycle? :confused:

1 year of anything won't turn you from a dud to a stud. Take what you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait it out and see if that waitlist turns into an acceptance. Medical school is so competitive lately, take every chance you can get. Even if you apply next year, there is no guarantee that you'll have a better cycle.

Last edited:
I would wait it out unless you think you would be miserable at the school you are waitlisted at.

Turning your back on a possible acceptance because you think you may do better next year is short-sighted and could definitely backfire.

:( If you do re-apply, then don't make the same mistake of applying to a school you don't want to attend.

I've seen a few instances of people going from no acceptances to a few top 20 acceptances in a year. Usually because those people applied late (though not super late) the first time around.

:( If you do re-apply, then don't make the same mistake of applying to a school you don't want to attend.

This. If you're lucky enough to get an acceptance off the waitlist, you would be shooting yourself in the foot not to take it.

Totally agree. Unless you're getting a Rhodes Scholarship this year, just sit it out. I personally believe most acceptance decisions are based almost solely on GPA/MCAT decisions, anyway.

Eh, I turned down two DO acceptances to reapply solely to MD schools. One of the better decisions I ever made.

You're turning down a waitlist, which may or may not be an acceptance. If you were turning down an MD acceptance to try for a "better" MD school, I'd call you an idiot. If you really feel like you'd be that unhappy at the school, withdraw. But I wouldn't plan on reapplying to that school in the future...

I personally believe most acceptance decisions are based almost solely on GPA/MCAT decisions, anyway.
Are you being sacastic or do you really believe that? EC/research are important for top 20 schools, right?

Hmm how about applying as early as June (I'm a late applicant), founding a non-profit org, and also coauthoring a paper? Would they increase my chances next time around?

Eh, I turned down two DO acceptances to reapply solely to MD schools. One of the better decisions I ever made.

You're turning down a waitlist, which may or may not be an acceptance. If you were turning down an MD acceptance to try for a "better" MD school, I'd call you an idiot. If you really feel like you'd be that unhappy at the school, withdraw. But I wouldn't plan on reapplying to that school in the future...
Congratulations on your MD acceptance :D. If I don't get accepted this year after withdrawing from the waitlist, I wish I could look back and say the samething.

srsly.

Hmm how about applying as early as June (I'm a late applicant), founding a non-profit org, and also coauthoring a paper? Would they increase my chances next time around?

depends on your stats, current EC's, and what schools you're applying to/shooting for...

you might also want to consider that most schools are "harder" on reapplicants. maybe doing all that will only be viewed as "ok he kept himself busy during his reapplication year" and nothing more. if only you could go back in time...

another +1 vote for waiting out this cycle.

Withdraw and apply again next year. It's not a big deal. Your application will be much better next year if you are gonna work on it.

Last edited: