How bad will it be to get one 'W' on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan on applying to D-schools in 2 months. Nowadays, due to an overloaded coursework, I am seriously considering dropping only Biology-B 'Lab' course, not the lecture course. Without dropping it, I fear that I might have a chance of getting a 'B-' or lower grade.

So far, I have had no 'W' on my transcript with average GPA of 3.5.

Q1) How bad would it be looking with one 'W' just prior to applying?
Q2) What choice would you like to recommend?
- Choice1: To drop it now and retake it next year (with 'W')
- Choice2: OR to go with 'B-' or lower grade.

Appreciate your opinions in advance!
SoG

Members don't see this ad.

I had 3 W's that I was worried about, but it didn't hold me up. 2 were for cheesy classes and 1 was an engineering class. Since yours is a bio class you might expect that they will ask you about it during your interview. I don't think it's a major deal, especially if it's your 1st, but if they look at the transcript details it will give them a question to throw at you. Just rehearse your explanation real well so you don't say the wrong thing.

I had 3 W's that I was worried about, but it didn't hold me up. 2 were for cheesy classes and 1 was an engineering class. Since yours is a bio class you might expect that they will ask you about it during your interview. I don't think it's a major deal, especially if it's your 1st, but if they look at the transcript details it will give them a question to throw at you. Just rehearse your explanation real well so you don't say the wrong thing.

Yea, W's shouldn't be such a big deal like sanonofre said. I know some people who had 3-5 and they still got in. If it ever comes up in an interview just be honest and explain why you withdrew.

Members don't see this ad :)
the school im from people are dopping classes likes its the new thing. One should be fine. If it was such a horrible grade and they ask you about it tell them u needed higher grades than that and knew that you could do better and just wanted to prove it.
1 is fine if you really really want to try again

i would say go with the B, if it's just a lab. i had one W from dropping Genetics 2 years before applying (i failed the first test and got scared) ~it came up in 2 of my 5 interviews. i was actually retaking Genetics during the time i was interviewing, so it was great to tell my interviewers that the class was going great the 2nd time around.

One won't really hurt you, but if you can raise your grade (which you probably can, even a little) I'd say stick with it.

Who ever really wants to retake a lab? Lol :sleep:

I agree with the above posters.

I had two W's from a semester in which I had a job change, baby on the way, and had to move apartments. I WAS asked about my W's at several interviews and on several secondary app's, but I don't think it affected me much since I had a good reason. But, I would have gotten C's or worse had I not withrawn from these courses.

If it's just a B- you're looking at, especially in a one or two credit lab, just take it man. If you're busy getting ready to apply then the last thing you need to worry about is one more course or lab. However, make sure you're in that B range because anything that says C will stick out like a sore thumb.