How bad will this hurt me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, Im almost complete with all my pre-reqs for Medical School. My Science GPA is decent @ a 3.75. However, back when I was just begining to take courses. I took Bio 1...

While working full time and taking this class, it was pretty tough to show up on time all the time, but I made it work. The day of the final I had to stay late at my job and finish some things up. I was going to be late to my final... I got there about 20-30 minutes late and asked the teacher for my final exam. She told me I couldnt take it because this was the final, and you had to be on time to take it... Sadly, this resulted in an F for that class.

I have since then taken the class over and received an "A" (which is what i was going into with the first time around). I know the "A" takes precedence over the "F" but it is still on my transcript....

How do you think admissions committes will look at this????

im freaked out, someone help.

Members don't see this ad.

Bad news but the F will still be averaged in with your GPA even though you retook the class :scared:

I doubt that it will be a problem. Your science GPA is very good, and the fact that you retook the biology class shows that you have mastered the material. I don't think that it will prevent you from getting interviews (although you might be asked about the grade during an interview). You have a legitimate excuse. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
fpr85 said:
Bad news but the F will still be averaged in with your GPA even though you retook the class :scared:

not necessarily, I did a replace grade form at the campus... But I think your saying the "A" and the "F" will be averaged together, right? basically making a "C" grade.

chan said:
not necessarily, I did a replace grade form at the campus... But I think your saying the "A" and the "F" will be averaged together, right? basically making a "C" grade.

not sure how the averaging works, someone else should answer that for you.

Sounds like a really good excuse, I think medschools will understand. That must have been excrutiatingly irritating, your teacher sounds like a real dingus

A number of schools give you a chance to add any additional information you find relevant on their secondaries. You may want to take that chance to explain why you got that grade and point out that you later got an A. You can also point that out in interviews if it comes up.

erin682 said:
A number of schools give you a chance to add any additional information you find relevant on their secondaries. You may want to take that chance to explain why you got that grade and point out that you later got an A. You can also point that out in interviews if it comes up.

I know this is off topic, but how is science without religion lame?

As far as the averaging goes, if the F is on your transcript, then you will have to enter the grade as well as the A you got on the AMCAS because what you enter on AMCAS gets verified with your transcripts by AMCAS. When AMCAS calculates your BCPM and overall GPA, the F will get averaged. Adcoms will see this but there should be no reason why you would not get interviews as long as you have a good MCAT and EC's. Most likely at some point of the interview, it will come up and you should be prepared to explain it. As a previous poster said, some secondaries ask you to explain any discrepencies that you may have and it might be a good idea to write about it there. Best of luck.

malumd2b said:
As far as the averaging goes, if the F is on your transcript, then you will have to enter the grade as well as the A you got on the AMCAS because what you enter on AMCAS gets verified with your transcripts by AMCAS. When AMCAS calculates your BCPM and overall GPA, the F will get averaged. Adcoms will see this but there should be no reason why you would not get interviews as long as you have a good MCAT and EC's. Most likely at some point of the interview, it will come up and you should be prepared to explain it. As a previous poster said, some secondaries ask you to explain any discrepencies that you may have and it might be a good idea to write about it there. Best of luck.

You should check with your school to see what shows up on your transcript for the first time you took the class. I know at WashU the grade is replaced with an R and there is no way for AMCAS or the med schools to find out what the original grade was thus they can not average the grades. So if this is the case then you are in good shape cause it won't affect something like GPA, it may be questioned as to why it was retaken but then you can easily explain that.

an A plus an F = a C and you are entitled to a C in friggin' Bio 1.

i fot an F in ecology at UCSC cuz i never attended. i called to withdraw over the phone but they didn't explain it had to be in person. thus, the f stuck. i took the course later at another school and got an A. i've gotten into two schools so far and my mcat is not supercalifragilistic. gpa is high...3.7 for sci and overall. you should be fine.

an advisor told me that getting one F among really good grades will probably just raise some intrigue.

you might wanna write a brief letter explaining what happened. just so it's on file in case someone is advocating for you and they need to explain to the committee.

That sucks. I would of tried to take that issue to the department head and or dean, especially if you couldn't get out of work. I have known several people that disputed grades from several teachers, for good reasons, and got the grades changed this way. It's probarbly too late if you haven't already tried, usually you need to dispute the grade right after you recieve it.

chan said:
So, Im almost complete with all my pre-reqs for Medical School. My Science GPA is decent @ a 3.75. However, back when I was just begining to take courses. I took Bio 1...

While working full time and taking this class, it was pretty tough to show up on time all the time, but I made it work. The day of the final I had to stay late at my job and finish some things up. I was going to be late to my final... I got there about 20-30 minutes late and asked the teacher for my final exam. She told me I couldnt take it because this was the final, and you had to be on time to take it... Sadly, this resulted in an F for that class.

I have since then taken the class over and received an "A" (which is what i was going into with the first time around). I know the "A" takes precedence over the "F" but it is still on my transcript....

How do you think admissions committes will look at this????

im freaked out, someone help.