How Being a Doctor Became the Most Miserable Profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tor-became-the-most-miserable-profession.html

Nine of 10 doctors discourage others from joining the profession, and 300 physicians commit suicide every year. When did it get this bad?
By the end of this year, it’s estimated that 300 physicians will commit suicide. While depression amongst physicians is not new—a few years back, it was named the second most suicidal occupation—the level of sheer unhappiness amongst physicians is on the rise.

Simply put, being a doctor has become a miserable and humiliating undertaking. Indeed, many doctors feel that America has declared war on physicians—and both physicians and patients are the losers.

Not surprisingly, many doctors want out. Medical students opt for high-paying specialties so they can retire as quickly as possible. Physician MBA programs—that promise doctors a way into management—are flourishing. The website known as the Drop-Out-Club—which hooks doctors up with jobs at hedge funds and venture capital firms—has a solid following. In fact, physicians are so bummed out that 9 out of 10 doctors would discourage anyone from entering the profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
oh wellz at least I will graduate debt-free....thanks ma and pa!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, this was a good laugh. "NIOSH recorded 476 suicides among 16,887 white male deaths." Such a representative sample set!

The "I don't recommend it" can be interpreted many ways: "Hey, I just bought this Porsche, but this is not the life for you. It really sucks. Hey, I'm having a party at my fifth summer home. It's so miserable that I have to go travel just to enjoy my world-class jacuzzi. It's terrible man, I swear." <-- one example.

Reactions: 4 users
yea, it is pretty miserable and the whole process just gets more and more miserable. Unreasonable requirements are ridiculous "you have to get a high gpa, over 30 mcat score, while doing a ton of e.c.s and clinical experience when clinical experience can be insanely difficult to get". Even when you do all of that you still get discouraged by counselors because people have done more than you. Where do you get room for free time or any fun? Instead of being able to balance and excel at a few things, they expect everyone to be able to do all this stuff together regardless of their study techniques, it's ridiculous and once you're done with that the application process is just as ****ty there are so many people applying that you have to write a damn stellar personal statement with no grammatical errors (med schools admitted rejecting people for commas out of place). Once you get into medical school you're subjected to more heavy memorization and intensive tests that mean everything than any previous generation of doctors, avalanches of debt, and how you do on standardized tests pretty much decides what speciality you can go into it (you can literally put 20 years into school to be forced to become a general practitioner if you've been working you hardest for a totally different goal it's ridiculous). Not to mention the USLME 9 hour exams (how about not torturing students for small details that they can just look up and focusing on their critical thinking skills?), debt, residency drama, and how a lot of med students are basically pushed into ROAD because of the high costs of medical school.

Where the **** is the quality of life in any of that? A huge amount of med students are on burnt-out and feel totally inadequate and it's getting worse and worse. The new mcat is a 8 hr abomination, but hey it prepares students for the USLME exams, so at least students will be prepared for more suffering.

Reactions: 6 users
Medical school admissions are like people in relationships: they don't know what they really want. That's why you still have terrible doctors who push reflexology and magnet therapy, because med schools admissions is imperfect.

So be different, be interesting. That's how you beat the curve without literally beating it.

Reactions: 1 user
In a country where the average person views doctors in the same way they view lawyers and only give praise to God when things are successful. But blame the doctor when it goes poorly, I don't see what the incentive would be to even want to help these people. I've asked countless pre-meds why they want to become doctors and it's always "because I like helping people!" and "money!". Ugh... Then why not just work to become a wealthy philanthropist and donate all your funds to charity?

Reactions: 3 users
Ha, this was a good laugh. "NIOSH recorded 476 suicides among 16,887 white male deaths." Such a representative sample set!

The "I don't recommend it" can be interpreted many ways: "Hey, I just bought this Porsche, but this is not the life for you. It really sucks. Hey, I'm having a party at my fifth summer home. It's so miserable that I have to go travel just to enjoy my world-class jacuzzi. It's terrible man, I swear." <-- one example.

This!

I have been shadowing a Ortho surgeon for the past month or so and he keeps dropping this negativity on me. He also complains about the crazy experience he had at the "entirely paid for by the rep" nightclub party, the half-million dollar horse he bought for his wife, how his new house (mansion) only went up 100 thousand dollars in the last month, or how some one else took his parking spot and now he has to park his Bentley in the sun.

These naysayers, have to cool their s***. I am sure even Bill Gates would say being rich and powerful is a burden. I am sure it is sometimes, but relative to the rest of the world, it mostly isn't.

Reactions: 12 users
Medical school admissions are like people in relationships: they don't know what they really want. That's why you still have terrible doctors who push reflexology and magnet therapy, because med schools admissions is imperfect.

So be different, be interesting. That's how you beat the curve without literally beating it.

best analogy ever. that makes way too much sense

I have significant doubts about that 9/10 number
I don't. I love my job, but I openly discourage people from becoming a doctor. People should think long and hard about if the profession is right for them.

And once they do get in to medical school, I often discourage them from certain specialties.

Reactions: 4 users
This!

I have been shadowing a Ortho surgeon for the past month or so and he keeps dropping this negativity on me. He also complains about the crazy experience he had at the "entirely paid for by the rep" nightclub party, the half-million dollar horse he bought for his wife, how his new house (mansion) only went up 100 thousand dollars in the last month, or how some one else took his parking spot and now he has to park his Bentley in the sun.

These naysayers, have to cool their s***. I am sure even Bill Gates would say being rich and powerful is a burden. I am sure it is sometimes, but relative to the rest of the world, it mostly isn't.

Wow, time to fulfill my lifelong goal (yet recently realized at the time of your post) of becoming an orthopedic surgeon

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't. I love my job, but I openly discourage people from becoming a doctor. People should think long and hard about if the profession is right for them.

And once they do get in to medical school, I often discourage them from certain specialties.
What specialties do you discourage people from going into?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tor-became-the-most-miserable-profession.html

Nine of 10 doctors discourage others from joining the profession, and 300 physicians commit suicide every year. When did it get this bad?
By the end of this year, it’s estimated that 300 physicians will commit suicide. While depression amongst physicians is not new—a few years back, it was named the second most suicidal occupation—the level of sheer unhappiness amongst physicians is on the rise.

Simply put, being a doctor has become a miserable and humiliating undertaking. Indeed, many doctors feel that America has declared war on physicians—and both physicians and patients are the losers.

Not surprisingly, many doctors want out. Medical students opt for high-paying specialties so they can retire as quickly as possible. Physician MBA programs—that promise doctors a way into management—are flourishing. The website known as the Drop-Out-Club—which hooks doctors up with jobs at hedge funds and venture capital firms—has a solid following. In fact, physicians are so bummed out that 9 out of 10 doctors would discourage anyone from entering the profession.

In a country where the average person views doctors in the same way they view lawyers and only give praise to God when things are successful. But blame the doctor when it goes poorly, I don't see what the incentive would be to even want to help these people. I've asked countless pre-meds why they want to become doctors and it's always "because I like helping people!" and "money!". Ugh... Then why not just work to become a wealthy philanthropist and donate all your funds to charity?

Just spitballing here, but I think one of the reasons that medicine is appealing to a lot of students is because it's a fairly linear pathway. Do well in college, get into medical school, and graduate with a job waiting for you. Outside of PharmD, MD, and the military, that kind of security just doesn't exist. Entrepreneurship requires a certain degree of creativity and risk tolerance. There is limited room for growth at most major corporations and you can end up stagnating early on in your career. Medicine is one of the very few options that allows you to secure a financially rewarding future from the day you graduate.

-Bill

Reactions: 26 users

Not even done with training, absolutely no experience as to what being an attending physician is like, and telling everyone not to become one anyway.

ok sure bae, keep trotting

It's more constant work (post-bacc) pre-med than anything I've done before, but I like it better than anything I've done prior to this.

I also have read other statistics regarding that "Would recommend medicine" number... I think I've see 4/5 recommend, 6/10 recommend, etc.

Also, I'm not sure how many here are still undergrads, but let's not forget what is going on in the rest of the economy. The middle class in the United States is being eroded and economic mobility is becoming more entrenched.
And, IMO, because of globalization and other trends that are not necessarily within the control of the US political or economic system, my personal guess is that this trend will continue rather than reverse itself absent some really significant changes.

The median household income of Americans in 2011 was $49,103. Adjusted for inflation, the median income is just below what it was in 1989 and is $4,000 less than it was in 2000.

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/crisis-middle-class-and-american-power

(Just one article from a think-tank / consulting firm and its perspective)

There are a lot of tough professions out there. Being a doctor may not be the perfect job, but as I said, I've liked what I'm doing more than anything I've done before ... I wouldn't get too discouraged by this article as long as you've really gotten some exposure to medicine, you like science, you're interested in health, etc. (Then again I'm still a pre-med.)

I just think compared to what I see in some other sectors of the economy, medicine is still a career path with many positive attributes.

Last edited:
Just spitballing here, but I think one of the reasons that medicine is appealing to a lot of students is because it's a fairly linear pathway. Do well in college, get into medical school, and graduate with a job waiting for you. Outside of PharmD, MD, and the military, that kind of security just doesn't exist. Entrepreneurship requires a certain degree of creativity and risk tolerance. There is limited room for growth at most major corporations and you can end up stagnating early on in your career. Medicine is one of the very few options that allows you to secure a financially rewarding future from the day you graduate.

-Bill
This is a large part of what draws me to medicine, and anyone who thinks there aren't a lot of others who feel the same way is kidding him or herself. I'm really good at school and want all of the effort I put into my grades to actually mean something in the end. There are very few career paths out there where your school performance honestly matters much in the end. I've also been trying to find a job for months and have had it up to here with "After reviewing your application, we have decided to select a candidate whose qualifications better fit our needs," emails. While I can't look into the future, I don't see the job security that medicine brings going anywhere anytime soon. If anyone thinks wanting the job security makes me a terrible person, well, I do what I want. :p

What specialties do you discourage people from going into?
Depends who it is and what they're interested in. In general, I'll bring up the fact that having a kid will be more difficult for a woman in a surgical specialty. There are other considerations depending on the conversation I'm having with the student.

It's not like I'm telling them "Never do this, it's terrible" it's more like "There are some things you really need to think about if you're considering this, because it can really suck..". I'd count myself as someone who wouldn't recommend medicine openly.

Not even done with training, absolutely no experience as to what being an attending physician is like, and telling everyone not to become one anyway.

ok sure bae, keep trotting
That's kind of the point, I'm talking to them about what I'm currently experiencing, and the things I'm missing out on might not be worth it to a lot of people. I'm sure it's nice when you're an attending and having your residents do everything for you, but what about the mean time? Is the money I'm going to one day make and the better schedule I'll one day have worth missing my kid grow up right now? Is it worth marital strain? Is it worth not getting to see friends or family? Is it worth it to a young woman to not have kids until she's in her mid-30s, or not at all since she's trying to get her practice going? How about not having time to date or marry until you're in your 30s?

There's a difference between what it will be like one day and what you miss along the way. I'm not putting my life on hold until I'm an attending, and in the middle of all of it, it really sucks. And I think people should think long and hard about whether or not missing these sorts of things are worth it.

You know what that's like though, right? Having already been there?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I plan on paying off my post-residency loan balance of ~$350k in 3-4 years. If it's so terrible, there are ways out. ****, I could even do IBR or PSLF at a $30k/year job and not even try to pay it all off. But I guess it's easier to bitch and whine about how terrible it is and how "there isn't a way out."

"Nine of 10 doctors discourage others from joining the profession"

By instinct, one should know that this statistic cannot be correct. If nine out of ten physicians really discouraged others from joining the profession, there would probably be a national crisis right now, because so few people would be wanting to enter the medical field.

It took me five minutes to google and find a document that casts considerable doubt on the validity of that statistic. Page 20 of this document: In response to the question "Would you recommend medicine as a career to your children or other young people?" 42% said yes and 58% said no in 2012, while 40% said yes and 59.8% said no in 2008. Note that the percentage of physicians who answered "yes" actually increased between 2008 and 2012, even though the projection for the future of medicine has seemingly grown darker in recent years.

I suspect that the writer of this online article was driven more by the desire to cause a sensation than to report the truth. Which pretty much seems to be the motivation behind most media outlets these days.

-Bill

Well said. But I could go through thousands of posts here and find a handful that include phrases like "job security". That's just something that is not on the typical premeds mind when they think about medical school.That's definitely a non trad premed talking, one who has been out of school and working for a while

Well said. But I could go through thousands of posts here and find a handful that include phrases like "job security". That's just something that is not on the typical premeds mind when they think about medical school.That's definitely a non trad premed talking, one who has been out of school and working for a while
I'm always impressed with the traditional students who actually do recognize how abysmal the job market looks in other areas and how well off they'd be in job security if nothing else as doctors. I know that wasn't on my mind as an undergrad (hence my BA in English). I think a lot about job security because I've been in (or trying to get into) the job market for a while and am frankly tired of the game.

There's no doubt about it, medicine has fantastic perks. I was talking to a classmate once about how few job fields there are out there that practically guarantee a job, and could guarantee $200k (obviously depending on the specialty). There are so many specialties where that income is easily reached. How many other careers can promise that kind of financial security?

There are some huge benefits to being a physician, don't get me wrong. There are some sacrifices that come with it, too. I know we all "know" about those sacrifices, but I'll tell you, when you're in the middle of experiencing them it really, really sucks.

And let's be realistic: that medicine is "the most miserable profession" isn't demonstrated by that article.

Last edited:
Well said. But I could go through thousands of posts here and find a handful that include phrases like "job security". That's just something that is not on the typical premeds mind when they think about medical school. That's definitely a non trad premed talking, one who has been out of school and working for a while

Indeed, I am a non-trad who spent about ten years in the workforce before returning to school so I may very well have a different perspective.

However, I would think that most traditional students have to start considering career options when they enter Junior or Senior year. Outside of the tech fields, most B.S. or B.A. degrees aren't terribly valuable these days. As the average 21-year-old closes in on graduation, aren't they starting to think about what job options they might have with a B.S. in Biology or Psychology?

-Bill

In this thread, premeds, who've never held a real full-time job, tap into their vast and extensive life experience on what the practice of medicine is really like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

As a 21-year old about to graduate, that's how I think about it at least. Honestly, I don't think there is another career that is as intellectually and morally rewarding with the amount of opportunities. Clinic, academic, research, consultant, etc. Plus it fits to my personality and skills. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to be a teacher and help educate our future, but I feel like I could be doing so much more attempting to save/help lives with my talents. Yeah not everyone is cooperative but that's just part of the job. Ok getting sued sucks, along with the idiocracy of our health care system, but telling people not to become doctors isn't going to fix that. Most of the people who seem to complain about medicine thought it was going to be a fairy tale with fast cars and big tits. You have to work your butt off and sacrifice yourself for the good of your patients. As that one surgeon on NY Med said, " if this isn't the only thing you could see yourself doing, then find another career". Yeah this is kind of an extreme view, but I think there is too much myth and glamour associated with medicine. Hell, most premeds don't even know that they'll be disimpacting bowels. /useless rant

TL; DR if you're unhappy in medicine, you probably didn't do enough research into the career

As a 21-year old about to graduate, that's how I think about it at least. Honestly, I don't think there is another career that is as intellectually and morally rewarding with the amount of opportunities. Clinic, academic, research, consultant, etc. Plus it fits to my personality and skills. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to be a teacher and help educate our future, but I feel like I could be doing so much more attempting to save/help lives with my talents. Yeah not everyone is cooperative but that's just part of the job. Ok getting sued sucks, along with the idiocracy of our health care system, but telling people not to become doctors isn't going to fix that. Most of the people who seem to complain about medicine thought it was going to be a fairy tale with fast cars and big tits. You have to work your butt off and sacrifice yourself for the good of your patients. As that one surgeon on NY Med said, " if this isn't the only thing you could see yourself doing, then find another career". Yeah this is kind of an extreme view, but I think there is too much myth and glamour associated with medicine. Hell, most premeds don't even know that they'll be disimpacting bowels. /useless rant

TL; DR if you're unhappy in medicine, you probably didn't do enough research into the career
:smack::smack:

No amount of research will be able to tell you if you will enjoy doing something, 8-16 hours a day, everyday for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 5 users
Most of the people who seem to complain about medicine thought it was going to be a fairy tale with fast cars and big tits.

I assure you, my tits are the same size now as they were when I entered medical school.

Reactions: 22 users
Just ignore me. I so out of my mind right now

Whenever any of the doctors here are feeling ****ty they should visit jdunderground. The pre-meds should too. Those guys(even the ones who are in high paying jobs) make the disgruntled physicians here look like they are on cloud 9.

Money is a large motivator. Which other careers are viable options for a 22 year old with public school pedigree and above average intelligence/work ethic? Even a family medicine physician can expect $6 million or so in lifetime earnings.

Whenever any of the doctors here are feeling ****** they should visit jdunderground. The pre-meds should too. Those guys(even the ones who are in high paying jobs) make the disgruntled physicians here look like they are on cloud 9.
I like reading http://www.top-law-schools.com forums, too. I don't know if they're entirely true, but the document review stories by 'areyouinsane' are ****ing HILARIOUS.

There's knowing what's going to happen, and then there's living it.

You knew your dog was going to die after 10-15 years, why were you so upset when it happened? You knew it was coming.

Reactions: 7 users

So wait. Things get cynical during the journey to medical career? All that altruism (I would rather work for free than at a minimum wage, I'd be happy to get paid at minimum wage as a physician etc.), love, cooperation, "Zero to Mother Theresa" work (a la @Planes2Doc) during undergrad to pursue the honorable career of medicine was a lie? Reality shattered :cryi::cryi:

After all, the public sees ophthalmologists and radiologists making out like bandits and wonder why they should feel anything but scorn for such doctors—especially when Americans haven’t gotten a raise in decades.

Was that really necessary? :rolleyes:

So wait. Things get cynical during the journey to medical career? All that altruism (I would rather work for free than at a minimum wage, I'd be happy to get paid at minimum wage as a physician etc.), love, cooperation, "Zero to Mother Theresa" work (a la @Planes2Doc) during undergrad to pursue the honorable career of medicine was a lie? Reality shattered :cryi::cryi:
that's like the first week of medical school. it goes downhill fast from there

There are some huge benefits to being a physician, don't get me wrong. There are some sacrifices that come with it, too. I know we all "know" about those sacrifices, but I'll tell you, when you're in the middle of experiencing them it really, really sucks.

So does being in the military. I still encourage folks because I think the net suck is outweighed by the net benefits. They just need to go in with their eyes wide open.

I honestly would be 1000% more happy with my decision to enter medicine if I had debt under 100K. When I started med school I didn't care nore really think about it but now as I'm about to graduate it really really sucks and I will be paying this off for a very long time.

There's knowing what's going to happen, and then there's living it.

You knew your dog was going to die after 10-15 years, why were you so upset when it happened? You knew it was coming.
:clap: That's going to leave a mark :poke:

Last edited:

lol orly?

What do they suggest then oh wise men.

Pharmacy? no jobs, boring as hell
Law? no jobs
Dentistry? saturation + same as medicine in terms of "depression"
PA? lol
NP? lol
MBA? Have fun being 35 years old and finally making 100k/year... and maybe making 150k by 45. Compare that to the doctor

And the list can go on and on. The grass may seen greener, but it certainly isnt.

What is this bullsh*t perspective that's developed inside people where they can be making 300,000$ a year by improving the lives of others, living in a top notch location, traveling the world, doing what they want etc. and still they find a way to be unhappy?
:rolleyes:
Being in North America alone puts you at the top of the world in terms of quality of life and opportunity. And when you take those opportunities and become the 1%, then you have issues if you're still unhappy.